Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SFU FOOTBALL

Hybrid View

Default SFU FOOTBALL

AS a SFU Clan Football alumni who played both in the CIS and the NAIA, this move to NCAA DIV. 2 is an absolute f***ing disgrace. I cannot stress this enough.

I tried to bring attention to this many months ago within the Univerity administration and the alumni but it fell on deaf ears. The almuni, 95% of them played in the NAIA therefore they support the move. They think the league they played in was better than the CIS and they were the first to bring this to our attention when we had success in the CIS in 2003. And the rest of the alumni don't care enough.

This brings me to the point of quality of competition. Why switch leagues to one that is of "better quality" when you can't even consistantly be successfull in the CIS? (Maybe women's basketball is an exception) Having seen both leagues first hand I still think this point is up for debate. There are good teams and bad teams in each league and programs do go through cycles. When I played WWU had a good program but they have folded, Central Washington was also a good program, Humbolt was a joke.

The way I see it SFU athletics adminstration supports this move for 3 reasons. 1.$ They do not have enough money to pay for expensive travel in the CIS. Yes teams bus 13 hours plus one way to Arcata California 2.$ They think they can run teams on a shoestring budget and have losing season after losing season and no one will care because they are playing against supposed "better competition". And if they do have success they will look like hero's. 3.$ They would have to work way too hard to make/keep teams competitive in the CIS or cut teams from athletics in order to stay in the CIS with the budget they have. So moving back to historical roots in the USA is an easy way out. SIDEPOINT: It would be interesting to compare athletics budgets of GNAC schools and SFU/CIS schools.

No one in Canada gives a damn about the schools in Div. 2. No one can name any of teams, let alone the players on the teams, no one can follow the players to CFL careers. There are no rivalries for fans. There are no games on TV or on radio. There is little to no recognition by any Canadians.

MOST IMPORTANT POINT. Players are not playing for a Champioship that anyone recognizes or even cares about. When we played in the NAIA we did not play in a playoff game in the 37? years of competition. I'm not sure if the GNAC has some sort of guarantee of national playoffs if you win the conference, or if you have to be voted in if you go undefeated. But who cares maybe SFU will get to play some sh&tty school from Indiana that no one gives a sh#t about. And they will get 4 paragraphs in the back of the sports section.

The people at SFU have this idea that the way they did it back in the old days was better, and that athletics in NCAA Div. 2 is better. However, I think all of you and myself will witness in the next few years that this is not the case, and unfortunately I think we have seen the begining of the end of SFU Football. I wonder if they will get a real stadium on campus before then. At least they will have a place to put the tombstone.

Not sure about the logic that you and others have mentioned regarding this conference move to GNAC from Canada West. You and others have repeatedly mentioned that no one will care in Humboldt State comes into town to play SFU. As of now, yes that is true. But how will that bring down the program? No one now gives a rats ass if any Canada West opponents come to town. SFU football has always had poor home attendace in the NAIA and in the Canada West. The "gate" has never funded the program. So having different teams come to town will have no impact on the viability of the program. This is not the beginning of the end for SFU football. Like him or hate him, agree with the decision to switch conferences or not, the AD is a huge SFU football supporter and very passionate about improving the football team. The last two AD's at SFU worried me (about dropping football), but not Murphy.

Bottom line is they sucked in Can-west and Eastern Washington southside Spokane typing school will probably hand them their heads to.......So go ahead and move....

What has that have to do with the topic? Check your facts. SFU Football has had a lot of dark times, but have also beaten teams like Montana State, Portland State, Cal Poly, ect, ect, all current Div 1AA programs.

Yeah that was 40 years ago? I think those programs have grown a bit since then. SFU not so much.

ClanFan: What does Murphy say are the pros of SFU Football moving to NCAA Div. 2?
    As far as I see it there are none!

As far as Murphy is concerned all I hear is what is in the paper. The reasons listed previously. Don't get me wrong, I am not 100% sold on the move. I am just curious why you, Mullen, and some others think the program is now going to fold because no one in BC cares about Humboldt or Central Washington coming into town. I dont think that makes any difference because nobody here cares when any Canada West team comes into town. So how a change in schedule is going to fold the team when there is little interest already, doesnt really make any sense. As I said, the "gate" makes no difference to the bottom line of the football teams finances. So if there are 40 less people at SFU home games (locals with sons on the Canada West away teams), its not going to affect the viability of the program.

Don't know about the other guys, but I can make up a doomsday story:
    a) SFU is moving to NCAA div II to cut costs - i.e. spend less on athletics
    b) unfortunately, for football specifically it won't but costs
    c) in fact, moving to NCAA div II puts SFU at a recruiting disadvantage in football,so the teams are weaker than they are now, and
    d) SFU starts getting regularly whacked in football, so that
    e) if SFU wants to be somewhat competitive in NCAA div II, they have to spend more money than they do to remain somewhat competitive in CanWest, and
    f) SFU kills the program rather than spend the extra $$$$

However, bottom line is that you are correct. If the administration wants to spend money to have a football team exist, then it will. There is more than enough evidence in Canada that administrations will keep on shelling out for absolutely bad teams to keep on merely existing.

e)
    Carleton: frightened by the Queen's Bands since 2014.

Just aNn opinion.I agree that AD Dave Murphy,an American,will definitely be a football supporter.He himself was a football player,and a big supporter at SMU.As for SFU Football,they have had a very good last 2 years of rercruiting.This team is not the same team it was 2 years ago.It is and will be a competitive team.It's too bad that they are not supported by they're Alum and hometown fans a lot more.

I too would be worried for future of SFU football. If they start getting beaten badly on a regular basis it would be much easier for Athletics to cut the program. If there is little alumni/fan support, where would the outcry come from?

BTW, is SFU Greater Vancouver's weak sister when it comes to athletic support? I know in Winnipeg that we have the small downtown school (U of W) which only has basketball and volleyball. By sticking to two sports they are on par with the U of M in those sports. As a result, they get equal media and fan interest in those sports. In fact, they get much bigger crowds in basketball.

I think support of SFU Football has never been higher than in recent years. Beaton had a hit out on him by most of the alumni, he had absolutly no contact with the alumni.
    I thought support was growing ever since they hired their new coach. There is now actually an alumni association, and an alumni game at the start of the season. However, this has not yet transfered into huge attendence numbers. However, I know people follow he team online and on tv. This coverage will be almost zero in NCAA Div. 2. As far as I'm concerned its a stepback to the dark ages.
    I guess I saw the dream of the SFU CLAN winning the Vanier Cup, not some Div. 2 championship no one has ever heard of, and they will never get to.

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    I think support of SFU Football has never been higher than in recent years. Beaton had a hit out on him by most of the alumni, he had absolutly no contact with the alumni.
    I thought support was growing ever since they hired their new coach. There is now actually an alumni association, and an alumni game at the start of the season. However, this has not yet transfered into huge attendence numbers. However, I know people follow he team online and on tv. This coverage will be almost zero in NCAA Div. 2. As far as I'm concerned its a stepback to the dark ages.
    I guess I saw the dream of the SFU CLAN winning the Vanier Cup, not some Div. 2 championship no one has ever heard of, and they will never get to.
    Hard to get crowds though when their games are off campus and all over the place, as was the case the last 3 years. It would have been nice to see how the crowds would have been affected with the team playing on the mountain. SFU is well situated around high schools, that they can build a fan base with. UBC has NO high schools in the area to help build a fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by out west View Post
    Hard to get crowds though when their games are off campus and all over the place, as was the case the last 3 years. It would have been nice to see how the crowds would have been affected with the team playing on the mountain. SFU is well situated around high schools, that they can build a fan base with. UBC has NO high schools in the area to help build a fan base.

Vancouver College is close and they play pretty good football...

A few questions:

1/ How can a Degree granting institution like SFU hire a football coach with no degree?
    2/ What does the AD at SFU think of it's Head Coach applying for the UBC job?
    3/ Where is SFU going to get the money for these so-called scholarships, in NCAA the schools come up with the money for scholarships. Is SFU going to come up with full ride scholarships(room, board, tuition, laundry etc) for the allowed amount of players in GNAC?
    4/ How does a Canadian funded University justify joining an American Conference?

Some of you are right the CIS is probably equal to NCAA Div. 2 play, but the chances of SFU playing for a National Championship are slim to none because of the Regional set up. If you do end up 2nd in the Conference and want to play in the Dixie Cup, you pay your own way there. The crowds some of these schools get are about the same as SFU gets now. Travel is not nice in this conference. SFU is not going to stop anybody from going NCAA if they are getting the full ride, can't see SFU coming close to offering a full ride when you add in all the other costs of this venture. Money was the reason WWU dropped football. I think this is probably why they want to join, because eventually football will be dropped. Cost of roster size is exorbent compared to the other sports.

Played for SFU last year, I'm not in favor of the jump to NCAA.
    and home games next year are going to be on the SFU campus apparantly

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlue32 View Post
    Played for SFU last year, I'm not in favor of the jump to NCAA.
    and home games next year are going to be on the SFU campus apparantly
    Having played there last year do you think the move is seen as positive or negative by the players?

Yes all their games are going to be on the mountain this season.

I agree with James Ron SFU could really build a fan base with the high schools that play football in the area in the area.

Funny,

The SFU football folks love, and I mean LOVE coming to Saskatoon and seeing the way our program is run, the crowds and the game day experience and yet the school chooses to leave rather than learn.

Sounds like a gal/guy on his/her third marriage. Yeah right, they finally have figured out what they want and it all ends like Cinder-Freaking-rella. NOT!!!! Why not make the effort to build a grass-roots program, gain Alumni and corporate support, build a decent (not great but decent) stadium, present an entertaining product and COMPETE!

So SFU is leaving. It's their choice. As for SFU fans and alums.....FIGHT IT! As for the University, do whatever the hell you want. Can West will be fine without you as we were for decades before you decided to join us. You can bus wherever you want to whatever backwards ass school in the boonies that can field a team. SAVE MONEY. I guess I have always believed that MAKING MONEY allows you to save but if you want to kill your program, have at 'er.

Hell, if fielding a competitive program year after year was the basis for moving to the NCAA, Saskatchewan would have done it years ago. But alas that is apparently NOT the basis.

Don't get me worng, I LOVE AMERICA. What I do not love is pretenders. SFU fielded a very very good team last season in football. They deserve everyone in Can West's respect for that. BUT, without a business plan for their program they will be lost be itin Can West or Div. II. Take a look around, there are ways to succeed playing Canadian football and if the President of SFU and their AD cannot see that, well PLEASE someone buy them a white cane. God knows they'll need it to beat off the dogs they'll be playing annually from SouthWest-Central Agricultural-Military Washington Technical Institute.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by 80's Dog; 2009-07-21 at 20:29.

Now Dave Murphy is an American but does anyone know where Michael Stevenson comes from? I googled his name but came up with nothing. Wouldn't that be a kick in the head if we had brought in two Americans to run our taxed paid for university and they simply turned around and took it out of Canada - stupid Canadians for letting this happen. And then, how much of the university's budget does come from our taxes? Wouldn't that possibly mean we the tax payers should decide where they play? When I pay taxes, I have this silly idea that it should go to the development of my national community and not to under-cut it.
    I look upon the CFL and CIS football as one big football endeavour with the ultimate goal of developing the Canadian game and so adding to our national fabric and even that sense of who we are. It’s about our football, our fun and …us. They work hand in hand as a healthy CFL (hopefully expanding) gives the CIS footballer a professional level to aspire to and a healthy growing CIS gives the CFL a greater pool of future players. Everybody wins including the Canadian public in general as the more often we have Canadians doing Canadian things in front of Canadians, it can only lead to nurturing and enhancing that sense of who we are and what our national community is. But as I read in SFU News On-line, according to David Murphy, SFU’s senior director of athletics, "We are reaching back to the original intentions and philosophy of the university’s founders: to offer a great Canadian education with the ability to compete athletically in the NCAA." It seems a little off-putting that those with this sensibility are willing to take the best we have to offer as a country but not do their part in adding to or building it. I think the rule is, “if you wanna take out, ya gotta put it” and how many SFU football players have CFL aspirations? That “original philosophy” is like saying, “I really love living here but I just don’t want to have to associate with the place.” This raises the question, “How difficult can it be to be a Canadian?” Evidently, too difficult for some given the dark and ominous cloud of American media we live under. I once heard that the ultimate purpose of American media is to make obedient, totally involved little Americans out of whoever is watching, listening or reading. If the leadership of SFU is any indication, it’s working. But I would strongly suggest that we have a right and obligation to protect ourselves from this sort of low-intelligent spineless response to American media especially when that low-intelligence is occupying seats of power and influence like the presidency of one of our universities. Obviously some strong action is necessary maybe including demands for resignation for the likes of Stevenson and Murphy. Contact your MP’s and MLA’s and emphasise that it’s our money these clowns are playing with and if they can’t use it in a respectful manner to those who provide it, tell them they can’t have any. I prefer maintaining the funding and throwing the bastards out replacing them with individuals who appreciate the responsibility to all of us their positions hold so Simon Fraser can continue as a great institution of higher learning and contributor to our national community. This “American-wannabe-ism” is like a cancer if ignored and there are already rumblings of heading south out at UBC. And you might recall this is not the first time as ten or fifteen years ago, they were entertaining similar ideas until a public outcry silenced them. Contact your political representatives, alumni associations, T.V, radio and newspapers and make sure this affront, this insult goes no further.
    It’s hard to believe that any university could be considering such a dumb move especially at this time considering the great progress the CIS has been making in football. Attendance is up, games are being televised and quality is definitely on the rise. It’s only going to get better and don’t be surprise if that learning/development curve is going to be a sharp one. I truly hope everyone is willing to do their part in making it happen and the most pressing issue is keeping SFU in fold.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewrawn View Post
    Now Dave Murphy is an American but does anyone know where Michael Stevenson comes from? I googled his name but came up with nothing. Wouldn't that be a kick in the head if we had brought in two Americans to run our taxed paid for university and they simply turned around and took it out of Canada - stupid Canadians for letting this happen. And then, how much of the university's budget does come from our taxes? Wouldn't that possibly mean we the tax payers should decide where they play? When I pay taxes, I have this silly idea that it should go to the development of my national community and not to under-cut it.
    I look upon the CFL and CIS football as one big football endeavour with the ultimate goal of developing the Canadian game and so adding to our national fabric and even that sense of who we are. It’s about our football, our fun and …us. They work hand in hand as a healthy CFL (hopefully expanding) gives the CIS footballer a professional level to aspire to and a healthy growing CIS gives the CFL a greater pool of future players. Everybody wins including the Canadian public in general as the more often we have Canadians doing Canadian things in front of Canadians, it can only lead to nurturing and enhancing that sense of who we are and what our national community is. But as I read in SFU News On-line, according to David Murphy, SFU’s senior director of athletics, "We are reaching back to the original intentions and philosophy of the university’s founders: to offer a great Canadian education with the ability to compete athletically in the NCAA." It seems a little off-putting that those with this sensibility are willing to take the best we have to offer as a country but not do their part in adding to or building it. I think the rule is, “if you wanna take out, ya gotta put it” and how many SFU football players have CFL aspirations? That “original philosophy” is like saying, “I really love living here but I just don’t want to have to associate with the place.” This raises the question, “How difficult can it be to be a Canadian?” Evidently, too difficult for some given the dark and ominous cloud of American media we live under. I once heard that the ultimate purpose of American media is to make obedient, totally involved little Americans out of whoever is watching, listening or reading. If the leadership of SFU is any indication, it’s working. But I would strongly suggest that we have a right and obligation to protect ourselves from this sort of low-intelligent spineless response to American media especially when that low-intelligence is occupying seats of power and influence like the presidency of one of our universities. Obviously some strong action is necessary maybe including demands for resignation for the likes of Stevenson and Murphy. Contact your MP’s and MLA’s and emphasise that it’s our money these clowns are playing with and if they can’t use it in a respectful manner to those who provide it, tell them they can’t have any. I prefer maintaining the funding and throwing the bastards out replacing them with individuals who appreciate the responsibility to all of us their positions hold so Simon Fraser can continue as a great institution of higher learning and contributor to our national community. This “American-wannabe-ism” is like a cancer if ignored and there are already rumblings of heading south out at UBC. And you might recall this is not the first time as ten or fifteen years ago, they were entertaining similar ideas until a public outcry silenced them. Contact your political representatives, alumni associations, T.V, radio and newspapers and make sure this affront, this insult goes no further.
    It’s hard to believe that any university could be considering such a dumb move especially at this time considering the great progress the CIS has been making in football. Attendance is up, games are being televised and quality is definitely on the rise. It’s only going to get better and don’t be surprise if that learning/development curve is going to be a sharp one. I truly hope everyone is willing to do their part in making it happen and the most pressing issue is keeping SFU in fold.
    Good Post. But not sure who Michael Stevenson is...SFU president? SFU is making a big mistake in my view.

WELL SAID. I BELIEVE THIS SHOULD BE SENT DIRECTLY TO BOB PHILIPS OVER AT UBC, AS WELL AS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNIVERSITY, AS PHILLIPS WANTS TO GO SOUTH.

isaidso is offline Football ends in November

Simon Fraser should be contributing to the growth and development of the Canadian sports system rather than jumping ship. This move is a slap in the face. Does Canada really need another organization thumbing its nose at Canadian sport in favour of a foreign one? We already have Rogers heavily promoting the Buffalo Bills and destroying the Argonauts in the process. Rogers doesn't care about Canadian culture, only monetary gain.

Simon Fraser seems equally indifferent. I'm not impressed. Cook: I'm with you, this is a disgrace!
    Last edited by isaidso; 2009-10-27 at 14:20.

Quote Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
    Simon Fraser should be contributing to the growth and development of the Canadian sports system rather than jumping ship. This move is a slap in the face. Does Canada really need another organization thumbing its nose at Canadian sport in favour of a foreign one? We already have Rogers heavily promoting the Buffalo Bills and destroying the Argonauts in the process. Rogers doesn't care about Canadian culture, only monetary gain.

Simon Fraser seems equally indifferent. I'm not impressed. Cook: I'm with you, this is a disgrace!
    Monetary gain? From what I hear they only sold 20,000 tickets last year until they started with promos and give-aways. Even in Toronto true NFL fans are a loud, but small, minority vastly over-rated by our sports media.

Back on topic - SFU sucks.
    YOU DESERVE TO SEE CANADA'S BEST!
    CLICK HERE FOR THE 2019 OHT27!.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Monetary gain? From what I hear they only sold 20,000 tickets last year until they started with promos and give-aways. Even in Toronto true NFL fans are a loud, but small, minority vastly over-rated by our sports media.

Back on topic - SFU sucks.
    Not true, I'm a huge Dolphins fan and was planning on making the game last year however it actually would cost me less to drive down to Buffalo with some friends, buy a ticket to the game, buy some beers for tailgating and drive back then it would have to catch the game at the Rogers Centre last season.

The tickets were extremely overpriced as they were not only trying to keep up with the prices of an NFL game and then turn a profit, but they also told the Bills that they themselves would profit off of these games and therefore had to raise even more money as a result. In the end isaidso is not all too far off the mark!

There are a ridiculous number of NFL fans in Southern Ontario (trust me!), I'd say roughly half the fans at every Bills home game come from the Niagara region (St. Catherine's, the Falls, etc). It's just that these people weren't dumb enough to spend a ridiculous amount of money on tickets for the Toronto game, and I'm sure they won't do it this year either (especially with a very weak ass tailgate setup). The ticket prices were way more than it would cost to regularly attend a game at Ralph Wilson which is why corportations had to buy up the remainder of the tickets and start giving them away to their employees.

It is motivated around not only bringing a team up here but also around the money involved with that. And I too would also consider this hazardous to the development of the Canadian game.
    Last edited by GoldenHawkfan; 2009-10-27 at 22:36.
    Take me home, country roads

GO HAWKS GO!

I don't know why this issue regarding SFU and leaving the Can West is such a personal issue for so many. I could totally understand if UBC were to leave because that would be a huge thumbing of the nose towards Canadian sport but SFU has only been in the league for 7 years and that was really only out of necessity.

To play Devil's Advocate I can see why SFU would make this move.

1. Costs- The CW is extremely expensive for BC teams to travel. Remember it isn't just football but basketball, volleyball, track etc. that suffer from these expenses. Football is just more magnified due to the size of the teams. Also, opposed to everyone else I don't believe SFU wants to cut back from what they spend but rather put money towards more useful things that help the team perform. If you can save money on traveling then you can put more money towards scholarships.

2. Traveling- besides the relative costs of the Can west the relative distance is extreme also for BC teams. I read in one of the posts talking about a 13 hour bus ride to California well if you were to bus in the CW, besides UBC, Calgary is the closest team and that would be roughly a 16 hour bus ride and extremely dangerous through the Rockies in the winter. I think that is why for other sports many BC colleges were admitted to CIS level to help alleviate these problems. However, at the moment these teams are far from competing with the traditional Uni's.

3. School recognition- SFU has an opportunity to go from a "dime a dozen" to "one of a kind program" within Canada. Sport has always been a great advertising tool and with shrinking HS populations, schools are always academically trying to find ways to attract new top end students. Ever since SFU left the NAIA there hasn't been anything to separate them Athletically or Academically from their closest competitor UBC. UBC has an unbelievable coast location near the city and beaches, High world rankings, 40,000+ students, beautiful campus and for the most part better or equal sports teams. SFU in comparison is a 1960's concrete compound, on top of a mountain 30+minutes from Downtown on the eastside of the Metro Vancouver area.

4. Athletic Recruiting- Once again on the theme of uniqueness SFU will always be able to top CIS schools just by the fact they will be able to offer more money scholarship wise and be able to offer American competition. Almost any kid out of high school who wasn't offered a US scholarship would jump at the opportunity to show up the schools that passed on them directly. Next to Div. 1 schools SFU will be able to attract all the top Canadian content.

My personal opinion is that SFU will be successful because I truly believe if they can get the top Canadian content they will be better than most American schools at that level and even a few at the highest level. I don't like this move based on the fact it doesn't help this inferiority complex that plagues all Canadian sport leagues. I much rather see the CIS develop to the point where top leagues are routinely recruiting players. To be honest the CIS and its unwillingness to adapt to the times has finally forced the hand of one of its member schools. I don't think it will be the last CW school either along with UBC I could see any of the other CW teams considering making the move depending on circumstance and success of SFU.

Quote Originally Posted by sea to sky View Post
    My personal opinion is that SFU will be successful because I truly believe if they can get the top Canadian content they will be better than most American schools at that level and even a few at the highest level.
    I don't see why would the top Canadian players go and play for SFU in NCAA division 2. From the very little I know of NCAA football, CIS football is at least just as good, if not better. For instance, I don't see any Quebec kid going to SFU to play football. A good example is Frederic Plesius who was recruited by Baylor (division 1) but then came back to Quebec (Laval) saying he had several offers to play in division 2 but he thought the calibre was higher here.
    Rouge et Or all the way!

"A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall" - Vince Lombardi