Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recruiting updates - Coaching changes for 2021 - Any updates welcomed!!

Teams are starting to fill up nicely - even those that got off to a late start recruiting.
    Everything goes in cycles!

Hey Spud

i just saw this. https://marauders.ca/news/2020/12/18...o-program.aspx

Also, I saw a while back a few announcements from Western, including 2 or 3 (at least) from BC. I’ll have to see if I can find them again

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Hey Spud

i just saw this. https://marauders.ca/news/2020/12/18...o-program.aspx

Also, I saw a while back a few announcements from Western, including 2 or 3 (at least) from BC. I’ll have to see if I can find them again
    Thank you Dexter, very much appreciated. Updated.

A recruiting black out starts today and extends until January 4. Teams are not allowed to contact or to respond to inquiries from prospective recruits.
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

Coaching update

If I understand what I am hearing, the Gee-Gees will add another full-time salaried assistant coach to the three they already have. He is Brad Miller and the DL is likely to be his main responsibility.

The Gee-Gees now have a third uniform. A "matinee" uniform to be worn for special games. It is very Grey.
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

Another former Ottawa resident is transferring to uOttawa from Guelph. He is A K Ismail, a 6-1/185 CB who was with the Gryphons for two years.

A K is on the Ottawa High School Football all-decade list. He was a CFC Top 100 prospect in HS.
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2021-01-19 at 06:26.

The Gee-Gees have announced ----We’re proud to welcome LB @JohariMcgregor out of Florida’s Clearwater Academy KnightsFB! The LaSalle, QC product is coming to the capital and we can’t wait to see him in Garnet and Grey!

I gather that he is a MLB and goes at 5-11/228.

He is a CFC Top 100 guy and has received NCAA offers.

Johari had committed to UBC for 2020 but has decided to transfer.
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2021-01-23 at 19:12.

The latest announced Gee-Gee recruit is from Ottawa's eastern suburb of Orleans. He is Zachary Sequin, 6-6/280 O-Lineman.

Zachary was a 2019 CFC Top 100 prospect. In DEC 2019 he committed to CEGEP Vieux Montreal--but I guess the 2020 season was a disappointment --as it was for us all. In Sept 2021 he suits up for the Gee-Gees.

Thank you for the great news and update Ottawafan. Ottawa looks to be shaping up well! Keep them coming.

Stud DB Laurent-Nicolas Fremont from Champlain-Lennoxville to Western. Blue Chip.

More recruits have been added to the list in the past week.

Somehow my attempt to cut and paste an Ottawa Sun article in the Press Box blew up in my face . Maybe this news is better posted in this Recruiting and Coaching Changes update.

Veteran Coach Brad Miller (NFL. CFL ) joins the Gee-Gees to Coach Linebackers. He is Ottawa`s fourth full time salaried assistant coach
    He lives in Hamilton but will be in Ottawa part of the year. In the off season he will recruit in the area around where he lives. Brad worked with CoachMB at various times in the CFL.

Former Gee-Gee HC Denis Piche returns to help the Gee-Gees . His sole responsibilty will be as recruiting coordinator. Piche was also OC in 2000 when CoachMB lead Ottawa to a Vanier Cup win. Now they are reunited.
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2021-02-24 at 06:58.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawafan View Post
    Somehow my attempt to cut and paste an Ottawa Sun article in the Press Box blew up in my face . Maybe this news is better posted in this Recruiting and Coaching Changes update.

Veteran Coach Brad Miller (NFL. CFL ) joins the Gee-Gees to Coach Linebackers. He is Ottawa`s fourth full time salaried assistant coach
    He lives in Hamilton but will be in Ottawa part of the year. In the off season he will recruit in the area around where he lives. Brad worked with CoachMB at various times in the CFL.

Former Gee-Gee HC Denis Piche returns to help the Gee-Gees . His sole responsibilty will be as recruiting coordinator. Piche was also OC in 2000 when CoachMB lead Ottawa to a Vanier Cup win. Now they are reunited.
    This is huge news. Piche, with a fraction of the resources uOttawa football enjoys today, was able to put together elite teams during the late 2000s on the strength of his (and Dan Laramee and Phil Roberts) recruiting. With the money and facilities they have now this could get the GG's back to the top.

NEWS: Gee-Gees football welcomes Miller and Piché to staff

Posted: Feb 24, 2021

The University of Ottawa Gee-Gees football program announced the additions of Brad Miller and Denis Piché to their coaching and support staff on Wednesday. Miller joins the Gee-Gees as Linebackers Coach, while Piché returns to the program as Recruiting Coordinator.
    Both additions to the Gee-Gees staff are well-established figures in the football community, each bringing a wealth of knowledge and experience from all levels of the game.
    "I am very excited to announce the additions of Brad and Denis to our football program," said Gee-Gees head coach Marcel Bellefeuille. "Coach Miller is an outstanding coach that brings experience from the NFL and CFL which will elevate the level of coaching in our program."
    "As our recruiting coordinator, Denis has been extremely successful in bringing talented student-athletes to our program throughout his illustrious coaching career here. I am very excited to work with him again to build the next generation of our program."
    Miller is a 30-plus-year coaching veteran with five years' experience in NFL with the Green Bay Packers (2001-2006), and over 15 years of experience in the CFL with various franchises.
    A native of Los Angeles, Miller played at Oregon State prior to transitioning to the coaching side of the game. With CFL stops in Birmingham, Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto, Hamilton, and Saskatchewan, Miller has dedicated his career to helping players realize their potential on and off of the field.
    With the addition of Miller to the Gee-Gees' staff, he will also be reunited with Bellefeuille, whom he previously worked alongside with the Alouettes, as well as while Bellefeuille was the head coach of the Tiger-Cats. Miller served as Assistant Head Coach to Bellefeuille in Hamilton for the 2011 season.
    "I am very excited to join the Gee-Gees and I am looking forward to a great deal of success both on the field and in the classroom," said Miller. "It is great to be working with Coach Bellefeuille once again in a program that is pursuing excellence on daily basis."
    The Gee-Gees will also welcome back a familiar face in Denis Piché, whose history with the program spans over the course of four decades.
    Piché most notably spent eight seasons as the team's head coach from 2002-2009. Piché and the Gee-Gees won the 2006 Yates Cup, the same season he won the Frank Tindall Trophy for national coach of the year.
    From Montréal-Nord, Piché began his time with the Gee-Gees as a receiver from 1987-1990, afterwards, beginning his coaching career in Europe. He returned to the Gee-Gees in 1994, serving in a number of roles with the team as Assistant Head Coach, coordinating receivers, the run-game, and recruiting. In 2002, one season removed from winning the Vanier Cup in 2000, Piché was named head coach of the program.
    Since stepping away from coaching, Piché has remained presently active in the football and sports community in the National Capital Region, notably serving as the on-air analyst for Ottawa REDBLACKS broadcasts in French on 107.4 FM. In 2015, Piché was inducted into the Gee-Gees Football Hall of Fame for his contributions as a builder of the program.
    "In a way this has been a long time coming for me, now with Marcel coming back, it's the right situation and a different challenge," said Piché. "In this case, overseeing our recruiting efforts, working with the younger coaches, and developing the approach and culture is very exciting."
    "Being a part of the atmosphere and the camaraderie of the team is something that I missed. This program has been a big part of my life, it always has been and always will be. I'm very excited and happy to be back."
    Both Miller and Piché have already begun their functions as a part of the team's extended support staff.

Facebook
    Twitter
    Email
    Print
    Addthis

Another Ottawa native for the Gee-Gees, but who one has recently lived in Florida and played for Coaco HS. Lliam Horrocks is a 6-3/230 DE/OLB. He says he has a 3.8 GPA.
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2021-02-25 at 23:08.

Default News from X

News from X worth noting:

X-Men football is extremely excited to welcome Running Back Malcolm Bussey to its commitment class of 2021. As a junior, Malcolm was the 2019 Gatorade Player of the Year for the State of New Hampshire. He is also a two-time winner of MaxPreps High School Football Player of the Year for the State of New Hampshire. Over his junior and senior season, Malcolm rushed for a total of 2064 yards and 34 scores, while only playing in three games for his senior year due to Covid. Welcome to the StFX family Malcolm!
    Hail and Health

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...hire-1.5390934
    http://goxgo.ca/sports/fball/index

VC @ PEPS - No better place to have it!!!

I am wondering if the recent contraversy happening in the University of Ottawa will have an impact on recruitment (past and future) of francophone players....
    Laval is a palindrome!!! How can we lose???

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
    - Plato

"Victory belongs to the most persevering."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
    - Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtype View Post
    I am wondering if the recent contraversy happening in the University of Ottawa will have an impact on recruitment (past and future) of francophone players....
    I doubt it with CoachMB and Denis Piche leading the recruiting charge. I am not worried about their ability to recruit anywhere at any time.

Applications for admissions from Francophones have increased for 2021 at uOttawa.

Professor Attaran has long been a disrupter. He has recently critisized Quebec and Alberta for their various policies. He has been on the case of the feds pointing out their vaccine procurement foibles. He has critisized racism at uOttawa.In 2016 he took his employer ,uOttawa, before the Human Rights Commission and got an out of court settlement. He will always find targets and a way to be at the center of controversy. It is his nature.

Here is a Wiki Bio of the Prof. for those who are interested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amir_Attaran
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2021-03-30 at 06:16.

^^^^^^^^
    and Prof Attaran has lit a fire under the adminsistration to take actiom.
    March 29

Dear members of the University community,

The University is currently going through troubling times. Many of you are understandably bewildered and I feel it is important to remind you today of the fundamental values that are central to our institution’s mission and to reiterate the role that La Francophonie plays in our very existence.

Over the past few days, the University of Ottawa has condemned repeatedly the “vindictive words, incivility, and sweeping generalizations” at the centre of the controversy, as reported by various media outlets. These do not further the “values of rigour and tolerance that we wish to convey to our students and that we wish to share with all the communities with which we work every day.” We strongly condemn all forms of racism and discrimination.
    By virtue of its historic mission, as stated in its foundational legislation, the University of Ottawa plays a special role in the development and success of La Francophonie in Ontario and has always extended this role to include other Francophone communities elsewhere. We are a major educational, training, and research institution that was built by, and for, two language communities, in a city that has always reflected the great diversity of Canada.
    I also want to be perfectly clear: our history is marked by very strong ties to the Quebec nation. Over 5,500 uOttawa students live in Quebec and each day, hundreds of academic and support staff members who work within our community come from Quebec. The University of Ottawa has educated generations of students, and has thousands of alumni, from Quebec; they represent us around the world. We are what we are because our university is Francophone. The University of Ottawa intends to remain the largest French-English university in the world. Since 1848, we have embodied this Francophone presence and we intend to strengthen it throughout the 21st century.
    I am convinced that as a community, we will get through these difficult times as we have throughout our history, so long as we remain true to ourselves by reaffirming that we value recognition and respect for others, diversity, and inclusion. This is the glue that binds us together as one great family. Therefore, I feel that we must most urgently focus on respect for human dignity and healing.

Over the coming weeks, I intend to initiate significant discussions with key stakeholders in our community, namely researchers, professors, and teaching assistants, as well as staff members and students. Public meetings will be held in each faculty to discuss and implement simple and effective measures to ensure that La Francophonie reaches its fullest potential within the University of Ottawa. To all those who believe that being a bilingual university is more than just a catchphrase – that it is a genuine intellectual and educational goal – I invite you to participate in these discussions so that together, we can achieve an outcome of which we can all be proud.

To conclude, I would like to inform you that very shortly, Jacques Frémont, president and vice-chancellor of the University of Ottawa, will be addressing the entire University community to make an announcement about these important issues.

We will get through this together.
    Sanni Yaya
    Vice-President, International and Francophonie
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2021-03-30 at 07:06.

Some more recruits for Concordia:

Gabriel Duquette from Cégep Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu
    https://twitter.com/Concordia_FB/sta...84291560235009

DB Riane Chelghoufi from Vanier College
    https://twitter.com/Concordia_FB/sta...85055349796865

DB William Bourque & DB/LB Jonathon Bourque from the Saint-Jean Géants (They're twins)
    https://twitter.com/Concordia_FB/sta...93421465448456

DL Philippe Méthot from Champlain College Saint-Lambert Cavaliers
    https://twitter.com/Concordia_FB/sta...29633468309505

Hopefully the teams will get to play this year.
    Last edited by Stinger Fan; 2021-04-10 at 09:47.

Professor Attaran is a douche bag. He doesn't self identify that way but it is blatantly obvious.
    An unofficial source for news & opinions about the University of Guelph football program
    http://gryphonfootball.wordpress.com/

Attaran's wordings...yikes.
    Gaels & Rouge et Or Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger Fan View Post
    Some more recruits for Concordia:

Gabriel Duquette from Cégep Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu
    https://twitter.com/Concordia_FB/sta...84291560235009

DB Riane Chelghoufi from Vanier College
    https://twitter.com/Concordia_FB/sta...85055349796865

DB William Bourque & DB/LB Jonathon Bourque from the Saint-Jean Géants (They're twins)
    https://twitter.com/Concordia_FB/sta...93421465448456

DL Philippe Méthot from Champlain College Saint-Lambert Cavaliers
    https://twitter.com/Concordia_FB/sta...29633468309505

Hopefully the teams will get to play this year.
    Thanks Stinger Fan. Hopefully, And with the vaccines coming out, especially targeting the hot spot areas, I am hopeful things will work out this time.
    Especially since at the same time Ontario is in a very strict lockdown, with tight restrictions.

Another local guy for the Gee-Gees from St Pat's HS and the Cumberland Panthers. Yianni Monette, LB/FB/TE
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2021-04-23 at 09:48.

A big receiver with decent speed ,out of the CJFL. He should contend for a starter spot immediately.
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2021-04-24 at 09:33.