Thread: Age cap rule overturned!

Default Age cap rule overturned!

YES. SMURF O-GIES!
    Gaels & Rouge et Or Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Wow Great news Linda. They made the right decision. These players have been working since high school, university to get their chance to be recognized for their achievements. Covid has really hurt everyone, but thankfully the right decision was made and they get to finish what they start, and hopefully accomplish what they worked so hard for so many years to achieve. These are unique times, and everyone else has been bending the rules to help out from Govt, work places, various agencies, banks, mortgage industry and now this. These players will remember this!
    Everything goes in cycles!

Quote Originally Posted by Spud's cyclesguy View Post
    Wow Great news Linda. They made the right decision. These players have been working since high school, university to get their chance to be recognized for their achievements. Covid has really hurt everyone, but thankfully the right decision was made and they get to finish what they start, and hopefully accomplish what they worked so hard for so many years to achieve. These are unique times, and everyone else has been bending the rules to help out from Govt, work places, various agencies, banks, mortgage industry and now this. These players will remember this!
    I agree completely. No one should miss out on that 5th year because of this pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I agree completely. No one should miss out on that 5th year because of this pandemic.
    Kind of restores your faith in humanity. These players will be eternally grateful.

It is still unconfirmed.
    I fervently hope that what CA Sinotte got from his source means we will see a reversal of the ruling, but let's all take a deep breath.
    The rumor is that USports will "review" the ruling....that left open the possibility of saying ..."Well, it was a good ruling. Carry on Nothing more to see."

We are talking about the same USports that was supposed to tell us where the next Vanier would be played "within a couple of weeks".....In January
    Train ride to a home game..$80, season tickets $198. Beer and hotdogs at the game $20, Championship Cap and player's jersey,$100.
    Trip to Vanier Cup 2012,$500. Trip to 2013 Vanier Cup and having a cool lunch with Jim Mullin the next day, $200.
    Being a fan of the only team with 4 consecutive years in the Championship Game, 3 Vanier Cups in front of THEM , 9 Vanier Cups ahead of UdeMontreal...PRICELESS

Quote Originally Posted by Spud's cyclesguy View Post
    Kind of restores your faith in humanity. These players will be eternally grateful.
    I doubt half the players who now have that option will take advantage of it.

If all of them were to return it would create problems with roster numbers on many teams and might force some to reduce the size of their 2021 recruiting classes.
    An unofficial source for news & opinions about the University of Guelph football program
    http://gryphonfootball.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by peter.gryphon View Post

If all of them were to return it would create problems with roster numbers on many teams and might force some to reduce the size of their 2021 recruiting classes.
    That will be up to the players - teams to decide. Time will tell. Either way, it was a good honourable, decent decision.

Outside the football realm, but I wonder whether anyone in sports such as Hockey, and Volleyball will have any players who were in 5th year and robbed of their opportunity to compete at nationals appeal for an extra year of eligibility?

I feel for them even more so than guys robbed of a year before it even started.....they were a handful of wins away from being National Champs and had the rug pulled out from under them.
    2019: 10 weeks, 17 games, 6,587kms.
    2018: 11 weeks, 17 games, 7,952kms. (preseason incl.)
    2017: 12 weeks, 21 games, 9,675kms. (preseason incl.)
    2016: 14 weeks, 18 games, 9,791kms. (preseason incl.)
    2015: 11 weeks, 16 games, 6,247kms.
    2009: 12 weeks, 19 games, 11,063kms.
    2008: 12 weeks, 19 games, 6,191kms.
    2007: 11 weeks, 18 games and 7,531kms.

Quote Originally Posted by peter.gryphon View Post

Probably dependent on the school and their perceived opportunity.....I get a gut feeling a lot of Bisons that were in this position will take advantage of it....
    2019: 10 weeks, 17 games, 6,587kms.
    2018: 11 weeks, 17 games, 7,952kms. (preseason incl.)
    2017: 12 weeks, 21 games, 9,675kms. (preseason incl.)
    2016: 14 weeks, 18 games, 9,791kms. (preseason incl.)
    2015: 11 weeks, 16 games, 6,247kms.
    2009: 12 weeks, 19 games, 11,063kms.
    2008: 12 weeks, 19 games, 6,191kms.
    2007: 11 weeks, 18 games and 7,531kms.

Problem I see with this, is in fact, EVERY player is loosing a year. How do you change the rule only for players in their 5th year ?

just off the top of my head...not a lot of thought has gone into this response....every player that was registered as an active player as of November 23, 2019, gets an extra year???

Quote Originally Posted by James Ron View Post
    every player that was registered as an active player as of November 23, 2019, gets an extra year???
    I don't think so. As far as I know, only the fifth year players got an extra year for now. But you're right all players should get an extra year because they're all losing one.
    Rouge et Or all the way!

"A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall" - Vince Lombardi