Thread: Rename McGill?

Hybrid View

Default Rename McGill?

First the REdmen name went, Now there is a movement to rename the university. Apparently James McGill owned slaves.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/taking-dow...202420341.html
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

Quote Originally Posted by ottawafan View Post
    First the REdmen name went, Now there is a movement to rename the university. Apparently James McGill owned slaves.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/taking-dow...202420341.html
    Hold on - the article just says they want a statute removed (and replaced with a tree ), not renaming the university.

OTOH, the famous phrase is that McGill was founded "upon fields of tobacco", so maybe there will be more to it in time.
    Carleton: frightened by the Queen's Bands since 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGuy View Post
    Hold on - the article just says they want a statute removed (and replaced with a tree ), not renaming the university.

OTOH, the famous phrase is that McGill was founded "upon fields of tobacco", so maybe there will be more to it in time.
    The article says there is a petition to remove the statue and then adds:

Nelson says the conversation should go further than simply removing the McGill statue. She says they should also be talking about renaming the university.
    Nelson is an Art History prof. at McGill.
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

The article says there is a petition to remove the statue and then adds:

Nelson is an Art History prof. at McGill.
    ? I don't think the article linked to says that ?

Anyway, doesn't surprise me.

Right--Fields of Marijuana are more acceptable these days.

Right--Fields of Marijuana are more acceptable these days.
    Yes, but I also think that if McGill made the money he donated to/founded McGill by using slaves in the tobacco fields - i.e. the money came directly from slavery - then that is different than if he had slaves as household servants, or something like that.

Yes, but I also think that if McGill made the money he donated to/founded McGill by using slaves in the tobacco fields - i.e. the money came directly from slavery - then that is different than if he had slaves as household servants, or something like that.
    Never mind! I am speaking out of my... posterior. I think upon further investigation that Leacock was referring to donations by William Macdonald (not McGill) when he quipped that "the Carnegies and the Rockefellers and the WIlliam Macdonalds are the Cardinal Wolseys of to-day. The University of Chicago was founded upon oil. McGill University rests largely on a basis of tobacco."

Never mind! I am speaking out of my... posterior. I think upon further investigation that Leacock was referring to donations by William Macdonald (not McGill) when he quipped that "the Carnegies and the Rockefellers and the WIlliam Macdonalds are the Cardinal Wolseys of to-day. The University of Chicago was founded upon oil. McGill University rests largely on a basis of tobacco."
    Actually , while Sir William Macdonald may have donated money to McGill, to build several buildings. it is Macdonald College that he founded in 1907. When I was a young guy Macdonald College had a university football team.The campus was situated in Ste. Anne-de-Bellevue (Only about a one hour drive from where I live in the east end of Ottawa).

It was taken over by McGill some decades ago .Part of the original campus forms Mcgill's Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. The English CEGEP John Abbot College is also on land from the original Macdonald College. So you can say it has tobacco roots as well.

Ironically, Macdonald often said that he was ashamed of his business, seeing smoking as a filthy and disgusting habit and even forbade its consumption in his presence, and referring to his shame as a source of his philanthropy. That was also perhaps why his company's slogan was "Tobacco with a heart".

Thus, these fine educational institutions owe their existence, in part, to a man who was ashamed of how he made a mountain of money.

Note: The Macdonald Institute at the University of Guelph was also founded on money from Sir William.

Seriously?
    Gaels & Rouge et Or Baby!

If you're unable to sleep cause of a man who died more than 200 years ago, you should consult.
    Laval Rouge & OR - The Greatest CIS/SportsU team the Earth has ever seen ! 1999 - 2003 - 2004 - 2006 - 2008 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2016 - 2018 - 202_ and counting...

Maybe McGill just needs some bolder leadership. Admittedly Holloway probably has a little more freedom to speak because he's not an old, white male, which sounds a lot like privilege.

From yesterday's Wall Street Journal ...

Meanwhile in the Big Ten, there’s a new leader on campus. Amanda Hoover writes at NJ.com:

Jonathan Holloway, who last week became the first Black president in Rutgers University’s 254 year history, said he has no plans to change the school’s name, which honors a man who owned slaves...
    “The reason we’re not going to change the name is that names have value that exceed someone’s existence,” Holloway said.
    “If I were to walk around feeling bludgeoned by every name I see, I couldn’t get out of bed... My existence, my humanity, my complexity, cannot be reduced by the fact that Rutgers was a slave owner, that he could not imagine me,” Holloway said. “That’s his problem.”
    Last edited by peter.gryphon; 2020-07-08 at 17:40.
    An unofficial source for news & opinions about the University of Guelph football program
    http://gryphonfootball.wordpress.com/