Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 115

Thread: OUA, AUS cancelled

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,701

    Default OUA, AUS cancelled

    At 1pm the OUA and AUS cancelled all fall sports.
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Retired in La Baie, QC
    Posts
    4,419

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kincardine
    Posts
    4,302

    Default

    South of the border.....but the Ivy League becomes the first conference to join the party cancelling all Fall Sports.
    2019: 10 weeks, 17 games, 6,587kms.
    2018: 11 weeks, 17 games, 7,952kms. (preseason incl.)
    2017: 12 weeks, 21 games, 9,675kms. (preseason incl.)
    2016: 14 weeks, 18 games, 9,791kms. (preseason incl.)
    2015: 11 weeks, 16 games, 6,247kms.
    .......
    2009: 12 weeks, 19 games, 11,063kms.
    2008: 12 weeks, 19 games, 6,191kms.
    2007: 11 weeks, 18 games and 7,531kms.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Quebec City
    Posts
    13,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chappy View Post
    South of the border.....but the Ivy League becomes the first conference to join the party cancelling all Fall Sports.
    Well that sure makes the Harvard point moot.
    Laval Rouge et Or

    The Rouge et Or are a special program. By far the strongest in the nation and likely the greatest program ever. - Duane Rollins, Sept 2nd 2008

    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,367

    Default

    Probably deserves a separate thread, but the decision to not let 25 year old players get a final season next year is bound to be unpopular.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Quebec City
    Posts
    13,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
    Probably deserves a separate thread, but the decision to not let 25 year old players get a final season next year is bound to be unpopular.
    Ivy League is kinda different, tho. Athletics are not anywhere near the top priority.
    Laval Rouge et Or

    The Rouge et Or are a special program. By far the strongest in the nation and likely the greatest program ever. - Duane Rollins, Sept 2nd 2008

    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marton View Post
    Ivy League is kinda different, tho. Athletics are not anywhere near the top priority.
    I'm talking about USports. Apparently they've decided that those who age out of football this year do not get to play next year.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    10 minutes by car from PEPS Stadium
    Posts
    5,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
    I'm talking about USports. Apparently they've decided that those who age out of football this year do not get to play next year.
    Yikes, that's quite a sad way to bid farewell to football.
    Rouge et Or all the way!

    "A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall" - Vince Lombardi

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
    I'm talking about USports. Apparently they've decided that those who age out of football this year do not get to play next year.
    If any of them were getting an AFA, I wonder if the schools will pay them this year seeing as their university football time is now over. I must check my alama maters eligibility certificate ans see if any Gee-Gees are affected by this.
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Quebec City
    Posts
    13,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
    I'm talking about USports. Apparently they've decided that those who age out of football this year do not get to play next year.
    Ah. Right. Harsh but not quite surprising. Would have been better if they had followed the same path the NCAA did. Then again, there is no age clock in the NCAA.
    Laval Rouge et Or

    The Rouge et Or are a special program. By far the strongest in the nation and likely the greatest program ever. - Duane Rollins, Sept 2nd 2008

    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
    I'm talking about USports. Apparently they've decided that those who age out of football this year do not get to play next year.
    There is an online petition protesting this decision.2485 signers so far.

    https://www.thepetitionsite.com/353/...0881&cid=fb_na
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    ^^^^--and IF the RSEQ still has a season this fall, I am still trying to find out if uOttawa's RSEQ teams have committed to play this year.

    Practices can be held in Quebec now. Full,practices can not be held in Ontario as of yet. However, when the time comes for full team practices our RSEQ teams could possibly do so on a field in Gatineau if necessary,---a few minutes away.

    Perhaps the men's football team could too.

    Edit: I was just informed that Gee-Gee coaches of RSEQ teams are preparing as best they can under the assumption that there will be a season. I guess that means that they are in.

    Gee-Gee teams in the RSEQ:

    Womens rugby
    Mens rugby
    Womens swimming
    Mens swimming
    Womens volleyball
    Womens hockey
    Womens indoor soccer (winter)
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2020-07-09 at 13:28.
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ottawafan View Post
    ^^^^--and IF the RSEQ still has a season this fall, I am still trying to find out if uOttawa's RSEQ teams have committed to play this year.

    Practices can be held in Quebec now. Full,practices can not be held in Ontario as of yet. However, when the time comes for full team practices our RSEQ teams could possibly do so on a field in Gatineau if necessary,---a few minutes away.

    Perhaps the men's football team could too.

    Edit: I was just informed that Gee-Gee coaches of RSEQ teams are preparing as best they can under the assumption that there will be a season. I guess that means that they are in.

    Gee-Gee teams in the RSEQ:

    Womens rugby
    Mens rugby
    Womens swimming
    Mens swimming
    Womens volleyball
    Womens hockey
    Womens indoor soccer (winter)
    That's interesting. Isn't that basically an admission by UOttawa that they are letting someone else decide whether to run their fall sports teams? How can they justify that, other than a big shrug and a "we really don't care that much..." ??
    Carleton: frightened by the Queen's Bands since 2014.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGuy View Post
    That's interesting. Isn't that basically an admission by UOttawa that they are letting someone else decide whether to run their fall sports teams? How can they justify that, other than a big shrug and a "we really don't care that much..." ??
    If by someone else you mean the RSEQ--yes--they must have a league to play in and the RSEQ will decide if they will. As for football, fall b-ball and hockey the OUA has decided that they will not play. You expect them to play games without opponents?

    Suggesting that they do not care is totally unjustified. They care a lot. They will run their fall sports teams and are not letting someone else decide that.


    The plan as of now is to bring as many students athletes back to the campus in September as will come--no matter how many other students are on campus, or not on campus Those that have a league to play in will play games. Those who do not have a league to play games in will still receive coaching and training.


    How can that possibly be construed as not caring?
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2020-07-09 at 14:06.
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ottawafan View Post
    If by someone else you mean the RSEQ--yes--they must have a league to play in and the RSEQ will decide if they will. As for football, fall b-ball and hockey the OUA has decided that they will not play. You expect them to play games without opponents?

    How can that possibly be construed as not caring?
    I agree its not justified to say they don't care - I take that back!

    However, it does suggest that they think it is safe to run sports teams in the fall - otherwise they would not consider running the RSEQ teams. Which is interesting, since it implies that they think the OUA is wrong to shut down their sports teams. (unless they have an idea that Toronto is less safe than Montreal, or something like that...)

    I just don't think you can say that it is too big a risk to run teams in the OUA but an OK risk to run teams in the RSEQ.

    Their position must be that it is OK as far as they are concerned to run teams in the fall - but unfortunately for football, etc. they don't have a league to play in.
    Carleton: frightened by the Queen's Bands since 2014.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGuy View Post
    I agree its not justified to say they don't care - I take that back!

    However, it does suggest that they think it is safe to run sports teams in the fall - otherwise they would not consider running the RSEQ teams. Which is interesting, since it implies that they think the OUA is wrong to shut down their sports teams. (unless they have an idea that Toronto is less safe than Montreal, or something like that...)

    I just don't think you can say that it is too big a risk to run teams in the OUA but an OK risk to run teams in the RSEQ.

    Their position must be that it is OK as far as they are concerned to run teams in the fall - but unfortunately for football, etc. they don't have a league to play in.
    One correction--uOttawa has not decided that is a big risk to run teams in the OUA. There is no OUA fall season to play games in, but they will do all they can , if Public Health Allows, to bring those athletes to campus for coaching and training.

    I am not sure the OUA decided to pull the season strictly on health risks. They might have decided to play games with no attendence allowed as Quebec may do. I think that many schools told the OUA that funding was also a problem. No fundraisers, no gate receipts, no advertising sold, no student sports and rec fees being charged. Add together possible health risks in Sept. plus a drop in funding and they decided to call it a day, as they did in the CW and AUS. My opinion.

    uOttawa has taken a funding hit as well, but as of now( things can change) their RSEQ teams will play if the RSEQ plays. Their OUA athletes will be invited to campus for coaching and training. It makes me think that their Varsity sports programs are financially stronger than they usually let on.

    uOttawa has not said that there will not be any students on campus in September. They have been slowly bringing back graduate students doing research the last couple of weeks. Undergrads are being told they will have the option of taking all of their courses online, but can attend many in person. (must take lab courses in person).

    Note: in June uOttawa's online course structure won two out of the three 2020 prizes awarded by the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education.

    https://www.uottawa.ca/gazette/en/ne...se-initiatives
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2020-07-09 at 16:13.
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    10 minutes by car from PEPS Stadium
    Posts
    5,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGuy View Post
    However, it does suggest that they think it is safe to run sports teams in the fall - otherwise they would not consider running the RSEQ teams. Which is interesting, since it implies that they think the OUA is wrong to shut down their sports teams. (unless they have an idea that Toronto is less safe than Montreal, or something like that...)

    Their position must be that it is OK as far as they are concerned to run teams in the fall - but unfortunately for football, etc. they don't have a league to play in.
    Of course it is. It's safe to run sports teams this Summer, even more in the Fall with the number of remaining active cases steadily going down! Baseball, soccer and other Summer team sports are being played across Québec as we speak (well maybe not this morning but later today for sure!) so where's the problem? Not just kids and teens but adults too. I've been playing softball for a couple of weeks now, my son baseball and my daughter soccer.

    Of course the OUA is wrong to shut down their sports teams. Not to mention Canwest and the AUS.
    Rouge et Or all the way!

    "A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall" - Vince Lombardi

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Come on over and stay a while!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    379

    Default

    The Fall sports cancellation seems like collateral damage to the fact that many campuses are not taking students in person for the 1st term and doing all courses online. If you bar the students from coming on campus that would have to include student-athletes.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,367

    Default

    For all those who figure that schools and universities won't cause spread and need to open, the idea that young people don't spread it has been pretty debunked thanks to summer camps:

    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...7yUM0xccaDl4D4

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
    For all those who figure that schools and universities won't cause spread and need to open, the idea that young people don't spread it has been pretty debunked thanks to summer camps:

    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...7yUM0xccaDl4D4
    On the other hand, Ottawa's Medical Officer of Health has recommended that schools be fully open this September.

    https://www.ottawamatters.com/local-...l-time-2553534
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ottawafan View Post
    On the other hand, Ottawa's Medical Officer of Health has recommended that schools be fully open this September.

    https://www.ottawamatters.com/local-...l-time-2553534
    If there was a budget for the measures they'd need to take, then it might make sense. Unfortunately in most places, schools are already quite underfunded. They're not going to be able to afford extra space that distancing requires and the extra cleaning measures. Plus if you go by the book of how and when the kids are supposed to wash their hands, most of the day will be spent doing that with little time for any actual education.

    The risk to the children might be pretty low, but the risk to the teachers would be enormous. We're essentially asking teachers to risk their health to be babysitters, because we know the education itself will be compromised in this setting. They'll be working extra hard for just as crummy pay, and getting worse educational outcomes for it. I wouldn't blame any of them for wanting to taking a pass on teaching this school year. I doubt they'll be given the same consequence free way to opt out as pro athletes are getting though, even though they're risking far more for far less pay.

    Of course, there is no ideal solution during a pandemic. Kids stuck at home has problems too, both for families and for education. Older kids can succeed with distance learning, but it is pretty ineffective for the youngest ones. We're pretty much stuck choosing between a slate of crummy options.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Donnacona
    Posts
    3,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
    If there was a budget for the measures they'd need to take, then it might make sense. Unfortunately in most places, schools are already quite underfunded. They're not going to be able to afford extra space that distancing requires and the extra cleaning measures. Plus if you go by the book of how and when the kids are supposed to wash their hands, most of the day will be spent doing that with little time for any actual education.

    The risk to the children might be pretty low, but the risk to the teachers would be enormous. We're essentially asking teachers to risk their health to be babysitters, because we know the education itself will be compromised in this setting. They'll be working extra hard for just as crummy pay, and getting worse educational outcomes for it. I wouldn't blame any of them for wanting to taking a pass on teaching this school year. I doubt they'll be given the same consequence free way to opt out as pro athletes are getting though, even though they're risking far more for far less pay.

    Of course, there is no ideal solution during a pandemic. Kids stuck at home has problems too, both for families and for education. Older kids can succeed with distance learning, but it is pretty ineffective for the youngest ones. We're pretty much stuck choosing between a slate of crummy options.
    For the risk, add the husband/wife condition. I know someone who'll be in trouble about this come September.

    As for education having crummy budget, our idiots... I mean our political leaders perceive education as an expense instead of an investment.
    I would rather win ugly than lose pretty. Bobby Bowden

    There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. tanstaafl

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    10 minutes by car from PEPS Stadium
    Posts
    5,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
    The risk to the children might be pretty low, but the risk to the teachers would be enormous. We're essentially asking teachers to risk their health to be babysitters, because we know the education itself will be compromised in this setting.
    Risk for children, teens and young adults is not just pretty low, it's statistcally zero. You have more chances of being killed by lightning than COVID-19 if you're under 30! For teachers, unless they have other serious medical conditions, the risk is pretty low. Unless you're over 60, you have more chances of dying from the seasonal flu. Do we close all schools across the country every year because of the seasonal flu? Of course we don't so should we for coronavirus? The disease is not more dangerous except for seniors.

    Babysitters, that's really how you see teachers? Wow, you really value their qualifications and their experience... You need to go spend a few days at a school and see how teachers work hard to educate our kids. You also need to go spend a few days at a university where they train future teachers and see what they are taught. What a total lack of respect for this essential and beautiful profession, that's disgusting.

    I can tell you for one that my kids went back to school in May and June and not only did they start learn new things again (distance learning simply doesn't work for elementary school kids, I can assure you that) but their mental health went up dramatically from seeing their friends again and going back to their routine.
    Rouge et Or all the way!

    "A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall" - Vince Lombardi

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylven View Post
    Risk for children, teens and young adults is not just pretty low, it's statistcally zero. You have more chances of being killed by lightning than COVID-19 if you're under 30! For teachers, unless they have other serious medical conditions, the risk is pretty low. Unless you're over 60, you have more chances of dying from the seasonal flu. Do we close all schools across the country every year because of the seasonal flu? Of course we don't so should we for coronavirus? The disease is not more dangerous except for seniors.

    Babysitters, that's really how you see teachers? Wow, you really value their qualifications and their experience... You need to go spend a few days at a school and see how teachers work hard to educate our kids. You also need to go spend a few days at a university where they train future teachers and see what they are taught. What a total lack of respect for this essential and beautiful profession, that's disgusting.

    I can tell you for one that my kids went back to school in May and June and not only did they start learn new things again (distance learning simply doesn't work for elementary school kids, I can assure you that) but their mental health went up dramatically from seeing their friends again and going back to their routine.
    Stop comparing this to the flu. It is much more virulent and much more deadly, to every age group. What you're saying about the risks to those under 60 is completely untrue. Apart from younger people dying from it, there are also plenty of examples of healthy people as young as 30 who are suffering serious lung and heart damage, and other health issues because of this virus. If a former pro athlete like George Laraque can end up in the hospital fighting for every breath, then you know it isn't your normal seasonal bug.

    My comment about teachers babysitting isn't meant to be a comment on their abiilties as teachers. It was meant to address the real reason that we want to open the schools, which is to get kids out of our houses. People don't want to look after their kids 24/7 and need some sort of child care if they're going to go back to work. Their actual education is not the priority in these reopening plans, as they aren't going to get a very good education based on the current way they're reopening. It doesn't matter how good the teachers are if they're not given the resources and enviornment to make it work.

    You're right about elementary kids and distance learning being ineffecitve, and the toll it takes on kids to not see their friends. For those kids, reopening is a good thing and has little known risk to them. Any sort of teaching, even in a severly comproimsed environment, is better for their education than nothing. It is the school staff who are at risk, as well as any families who get exposed through their kids bringing it home.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •