Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Official Updates for the Fall?

Default Any Official Updates for the Fall?

Just wondering.

The deadline in Ontario for high school students to accept/reject offers of admission to Ontario universities is June 1.

So, over the last few days (i.e. late last week/today), a bunch of Ontario universities have been finally taking public positions on what is going on in the fall. From what I've seen (my daughter is going into first year in the fall and is being... indecisive, so I've had to check 2 or 3, plus I teach at two universities), every ON university I've checked has announced that undergrad classes are online in the fall, i.e. not on-campus.

So, even if nothing has been announced, I suspect no OUA football this fall.
    Carleton: frightened by the Queen's Bands since 2014.

There is still a fair bit of time left before they have to decide. I would imagine they are taking their time to evaluate and monitor the situation with Covid19. This is not something they're going to rush into. Let's see what happens in a couple of weeks after everyone has been out in the warm weather.
    If all classes are online, that actually would make it safer for the players.
    I would imagine if they go ahead, the games will look different, most likely a reduced schedule, less travel. Here's a couple of interesting articles. It seems like they are trying to find ways to safely work things out, while also monitoring the cases of Covid.

University of Windsor athletic director Mike Havey says it's still too early to tell how the COVID-19 pandemic will impact Lancer sports. JASON KRYK / Windsor Star

https://windsorstar.com/sports/still...cer-athletics/

https://www.chathamdailynews.ca/spor...t-about-sports

Just because it hasn't been announced, doesn't mean there won't be OUA football this fall - doesn't mean there will be. They are in no rush to announce.

U Sports grapples with how to play with no student-athletes in class

https://ckpgtoday.ca/2020/05/18/u-sp...etes-in-class/
    Everything goes in cycles!

Quote Originally Posted by Spud's cyclesguy View Post
    There is still a fair bit of time left before they have to decide. I would imagine they are taking their time to evaluate and monitor the situation with Covid19. This is not something they're going to rush into. Let's see what happens in a couple of weeks after everyone has been out in the warm weather.
    If all classes are online, that actually would make it safer for the players.
    I would imagine if they go ahead, the games will look different, most likely a reduced schedule, less travel. Here's a couple of interesting articles. It seems like they are trying to find ways to safely work things out, while also monitoring the cases of Covid.

University of Windsor athletic director Mike Havey says it's still too early to tell how the COVID-19 pandemic will impact Lancer sports. JASON KRYK / Windsor Star

https://windsorstar.com/sports/still...cer-athletics/

https://www.chathamdailynews.ca/spor...t-about-sports

Just because it hasn't been announced, doesn't mean there won't be OUA football this fall - doesn't mean there will be. They are in no rush to announce.

U Sports grapples with how to play with no student-athletes in class

https://ckpgtoday.ca/2020/05/18/u-sp...etes-in-class/
    I'm thinking about it a bit differently - I think if the classes are online, there's no way they are going to run a football team.

In other words, I think the decision to run their courses online - which the universities have to decide now in order to tell the incoming first-years - effectively is a decision to shut down football and the other fall sports.

This may not have filtered down to the athletic departments yet

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGuy View Post
    Just wondering.

The deadline in Ontario for high school students to accept/reject offers of admission to Ontario universities is June 1.

So, over the last few days (i.e. late last week/today), a bunch of Ontario universities have been finally taking public positions on what is going on in the fall. From what I've seen (my daughter is going into first year in the fall and is being... indecisive, so I've had to check 2 or 3, plus I teach at two universities), every ON university I've checked has announced that undergrad classes are online in the fall, i.e. not on-campus.

From what I get from uOttawa everything is still up in the air. Or, if they have made a final decision on some issues they have not revealed much. They have said that every course will be available online , except for some lab intensive ones. So if they do get the go ahead to have students on campus in September, students can opt to not attend and do online courses only. Probably those who would have to travel to Ottawa to attend will make most use of this.

uOttawa sports officials are still talking like there will be some kind sport season this fall, with no guarantees that there will be. I tried to find out about changes to sport funding. All I was told is that the university admin. has not issued any directive to cut said funding. However, that does not account for any loss of revenue from donations due to being unable to do in person fund raising activities. Funding from the university provides spaghetti and tomato sauce to the teams. Private donations buy the meatballs.
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2020-05-26 at 04:42.
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

Quote Originally Posted by ottawafan View Post
    So if they do get the go ahead to have students on campus in September, students can opt to not attend and do online courses only. Probably those who would have to travel to Ottawa to attend will make most use of this.
    This has little to do with football, but, well, good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawafan View Post
    Funding from the university provides spaghetti and tomato sauce to the teams. Private donations buy the meatballs.
    I like that!

I still feel there is a chance for football even though the majority if not all classes will be virtual - online. There are a lot of factors, it's also a bit of a wait and see game, studying the number of cases, as well how to safely proceed with a game. Without players attending classes, there is less risk of them contracting the virus.

https://lethbridgeherald.com/sports/...amid-covid-19/

People are desperate to get out and do or watch things..... When deprived of all things, some go to the extremes - and you want to eliminate that. Universities and Pro sports can offer that - even if the option to see games is mostly virtual - tv.

Isolation fatigue 'partly' to blame for mass gathering at Toronto park, expert says
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...says-1.4954168

Football and some other sports can be safely played, provided there are fewer fans in the stands, all social distancing, and they would not be allowed in if they do not wear masks. The option to purchase masks, hand sanitizer at the venue might be a good option.
    Players can also wear masks. Have hand sanitizer at the bench. Training can be conducted safely.

Most of the fans for CIS games however would have to watch football on tv - the same way fans got to see Tiger Woods, Tom Brady, Phil Mickleson, Peyton Manning play their round of golf. Great to watch if anyone hear saw that.

That said, as Ontario is the province with the 2nd highest Covid cases in Canada, our numbers are coming down. So that is a positive. Moving in the right direction and there is also still 5 months out to football season.
    There is talk about a shorter football season with less games, and less travel - which would help support the return to safely play the sport.

LILLEY: Ontario's COVID numbers heading in the right direction
    https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...ight-direction

No one knows right now if there is going to be a football season or not. If they knew, they would be more precise about that. They are in the middle of analyzing things.
    It is possible for players to practice safely, and 5 months from now, play safely. They can prepare for the games, and if the situation deteriorates - they would cancel - postpone, with most likely no penalty to eligibility

https://buffalonews.com/2020/05/26/u...jay-henderson/

If they play the games, season will look very different, and there is the possibility,there will be no football season, but if they proceed - maybe not all teams will take part, the season may start later and or fewer games, no real travel.

“If U of C is kind of shut down for the fall and we’re in online courses, maybe we put the players in a residence, maybe sign contracts and restrict outside access to prevent the spread,” Joseph mused.
    “It would take a lot of individuals to buy in and kind of seclude themselves for the sake of a football season.”
    The pivot from Peachland, B.C., says he’s willing to do that to play his fifth and final year of eligibility, and pursue a second straight Vanier Cup.
    The U Sports landscape will likely be uneven in 2020-21 as each Canadian university grapples with the public health situation in their respective jurisdictions and the financial impact of the pandemic.Football camps traditionally start the second week of August.
    “We have the luxury of time, somewhat, not a lot, but we do have time to figure this out,” Grace said.

You could be right, but also, it's possible football may resume in the fall. I like to look at all sides - and assess as it gets closer to start of school to see how everything is looking then. Covid may be significantly reduced by then, or not, it may see a resurgence. That's why officials aren't saying too much about anything.... They need to follow the trends, results, and find and apply safe ways for the return to work, dental, surgeries, sports, travel, barber shops. Retail has opened, parks have opened... let's see what happens. In the park by me there were people playing basketball, baseball, soccer, tennis - practicing social distancing...During breaks they reached for their hand sanitizer. It was good to see.

City crews will immediately start installing tennis nets and unlocking access to off-leash dog areas across Ottawa, according to a release issued late Tuesday.
    Additionally, basketball courts, soccer fields, baseball diamonds and skate parks are now open for resident use, provided physical distancing measures are maintained.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6961333/o...seball-soccer/

https://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...s-this-weekend

https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/d...t-week-2368009

Provinces are getting people gradually accustomed to a safe return of sports, to engaged in physical activities.

All that said, if the virus never goes away, and continues to be a threat, you can't just end everything for good. Otherwise, there would be no business, no school, education, sports, recreation, travel, jobs, we would have an economic disaster.. People would be homeless, crime would spike. If they're talking resurgence in fall, it could come again next spring, next fall, and so on and so forth. When does it end. Supposing a vaccine is never found.
    We need to live with the possibility of that, and learn how to do things more cautiously, safely, while returning to sports, school, work, leisure, travel, etc, etc.
    Last edited by Spud's cyclesguy; 2020-05-26 at 11:36.

Just wondering.

Well, I can tell you the one thing we know for sure. Just like Winter, Fall is coming.

Beyond that... yeah, a whole lot of nothing. But I agree that the odds are slim we'll get to see a typical football season.

This said, the Quebec Government published a sort of roadmap for the next steps and team sports was listed, but in the last 'later' group, with no hints of a date. This could be seen as a cause for hope.
    Laval Rouge et Or

The Rouge et Or are a special program. By far the strongest in the nation and likely the greatest program ever. - Duane Rollins, Sept 2nd 2008

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

One interesting note is that the CFL is investigating the hub cities model. Most of the press had been talking about Regina, Winnipeg, and maybe Edmonton or Saskatoon as good locales because of their low Covid cases. However, the commish mentioned that southern Ontario would be a potential option too. The thought is that there are two pro stadiums within driving distance, and many university facilities that could be used for team training bases.

I'm not sure if they're just spit balling ideas, or if they have reason to believe that those facilities will be available to them. If it is the latter, I would presume that means that they're not going to get much if any use by their usual tenants.

All that said, if the virus never goes away, and continues to be a threat, you can't just end everything for good. Otherwise, there would be no business, no school, education, sports, recreation, travel, jobs, we would have an economic disaster.. People would be homeless, crime would spike. If they're talking resurgence in fall, it could come again next spring, next fall, and so on and so forth. When does it end. Supposing a vaccine is never found.
    We need to live with the possibility of that, and learn how to do things more cautiously, safely, while returning to sports, school, work, leisure, travel, etc, etc.
    That is a really depressing thought, but also true.

Maybe we'll all have to make do with less.

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
    One interesting note is that the CFL is investigating the hub cities model. Most of the press had been talking about Regina, Winnipeg, and maybe Edmonton or Saskatoon as good locales because of their low Covid cases. However, the commish mentioned that southern Ontario would be a potential option too. The thought is that there are two pro stadiums within driving distance, and many university facilities that could be used for team training bases.

I'm not sure if they're just spit balling ideas, or if they have reason to believe that those facilities will be available to them. If it is the latter, I would presume that means that they're not going to get much if any use by their usual tenants.
    Looks like Mac might may have a stadium and residences available - https://www.thespec.com/sports/hamil...ng-going-.html

They've already said virtually no students on campus for Fall semester.

The president and CEO of Ontario University Athletics says all kinds of scenarios have been thrown around from moving fall sports — those played indoors — to the winter, playing football and soccer in the spring, and everything else. They’ve also been discussing what to do if a few universities follow McMaster’s lead but others don’t.
    Last edited by peter.gryphon; 2020-05-26 at 15:34.
    An unofficial source for news & opinions about the University of Guelph football program
    http://gryphonfootball.wordpress.com/

Talked to one athletic director a couple of days ago, said the probability of fall sports going ahead is so close to zero that it’s not worth holding out hope

There should be no reason that CanadaWest can’t play. Zero cases in Sask today, and only 1 case in Manitoba in the last 10 days! Let these kids play! Test constantly and follow all procedures. Play a shortened season with minimal travel.

That is a really depressing thought, but also true.

Maybe we'll all have to make do with less.
    Short term we currently are doing with much less, but long term, not certain we could continue on with the lockdowns, limited activities, jobs and survive it - financially, businesses would be crushed and emotionally people would be. That is why the powers that be are looking at safe ways for students to return to school, more people to return to work, return to sports, other events, restaurants, bars opening soon, along with other businesses. Depravation of activities, etc, caused people to take and put others at risk, by flooding the parks all at once. Without hope, without activities, it creates despair, desperation. I feel there can be a safe, gradual return to all things that we are currently off limits to. People are studying ways to do that. They are also researching and advancing in the research of treatments and vaccines.

There was a pandemic worse than this one in 1918 called the Spanish flu. Back then, there was less the world could do/ use to treat any virus, flu, and this one was especially deadly. The world certainly didn't have the technology, medical equipment, treatments, doctors, or billions of dollars pouring in to find a cure, treatment, vaccine - there wasn't much that helped .

1918 the world was hit by the Spanish Flu, an unusually deadly influenza pandemic caused by the H1N1 influenza A virus. Lasting about 15 months it infected 500 million people – about a third of the world's population at the time. The death toll is estimated to have been anywhere from 17 million to 50 million. That's a big number - and they decided to continue on with sports, along with other activities. The virus ended about a year + later and did not return. I don't believe the world could survive another lockdown. Additionally, everyone would become paranoid, avoiding work, events, activities. I do see a gradual return to sports, whether that is in the falll or whether they push it out to spring, I believe the powers that be in the world of Canadian sports, at the university level, will come up with healthy, safe ways to return to games, of baseball, football, basketball, soccer, etc.

In 1918, even with a terrible pandemic, they returned to playing sports. I feel we would do a much better job of safely getting back into sports, other activities.

The 1918 college football season also forged forward and changed the game for the next century to come.
    “The football season of 1918 was one of the most peculiar in the whole history of the game and yet it will stand as an epoch-making one in the progress of the sport,”
    https://sports.yahoo.com/coronavirus...184042838.html

I don't see Canada continuing to stay in lockdown indefinitely should we not find a vaccine. I don't see many if any countries doing that. It would be economically devastating, which could create stress resulting in more cases of Covid. There'd most likely end up being severe food shortages, more people on streets, and countries don't want that.
    Additionally, for most of these cases, many are in long term care facilities, some are poor. The minority are younger, some with underlying health conditions, others with none.
    The longer business stay closed, the more fallout from this virus there will be, the more poverty there will be. That could create a spike in cases.

Not getting back to a more normal life, avoiding events, activities, work, school would not be healthy. We would not be helping our immune system. It would not be economically healthy to be hibernating - staying inside, without working, visiting people, or doing things we normally would such as visits to the dentist, barber, working, going to school, shopping, travel, sports, etc. traveling to other countries. That's why there are many people looking at ways to normalize things, research treatments, vaccines, find ways to return to a more normal life.

https://sports.yahoo.com/coronavirus...184042838.html
    Last edited by Spud's cyclesguy; 2020-05-26 at 19:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    There should be no reason that CanadaWest can’t play. Zero cases in Sask today, and only 1 case in Manitoba in the last 10 days! Let these kids play! Test constantly and follow all procedures. Play a shortened season with minimal travel.
    I agree.
    And if Ontario cases continue to decline, I can't see why Ontario and other provinces couldn't. Test constantly, follow safe procedures, playing a shortened season, minimum travel, and maybe even play at bigger pro stadiums when possible. For those schools who don't want to participate, that is an option as well.
    Return to sports can be done safely.
    Last edited by Spud's cyclesguy; 2020-05-26 at 19:11.

From what I've heard, Canwest plans to play whether there is a national playoff or not. I think 5 game season+ hardy is the plan unless something changes. Universities may overrule the athletic departments though. If there is some form of a season, I bet it won't count for elligibility, since other conferences would likely be keeping theirs. I think that we are waiting until fall 2021 for a potential (don't want to jinx it) return to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by WestIsBest View Post
    From what I've heard, Canwest plans to play whether there is a national playoff or not. I think 5 game season+ hardy is the plan unless something changes. Universities may overrule the athletic departments though. If there is some form of a season, I bet it won't count for elligibility, since other conferences would likely be keeping theirs. I think that we are waiting until fall 2021 for a potential (don't want to jinx it) return to normal.
    yes, you are correct, Canwest does have a plan. Actually it is a fairly good plan. That is all fine and dandy, but in the end it won’t be up to the athletic departments, or even the universities. It will unfortunately come down to governments and bullshit policy makers.

I understand what you are saying but is there such a thing as minimal travel in Canada West? This week we have Alberta @ Calgary and Sask @ Regina. Next week we have Calgary @ Alberta and Regina @ Sask???

I want football as much as the next guy but my money is on no season if I am betting. I hope I am wrong.

That is all fine and dandy, but in the end it won’t be up to the athletic departments, or even the universities. It will unfortunately come down to governments and bullshit policy makers.
    Your suggestion is brilliant - it should be the athletic departments setting policies that involve a health pandemic. The “bullshit policy makers” are among the main people to thank for the zero cases in Saskatchewan, on Tuesday, that you are praising.
    Last edited by Cyrus; 2020-05-27 at 08:59.

This. There is already an economic disaster, the worst recession since the great depression of the 1930's. The federal government has hit thee 260-billion-dollar deficit mark. That's $260,000,000,000. The unemployment rates are spiking everywhere and will soon hit 20%. In his latest report, the parliamentary budget offcier said the federal governement has no more room for maneuver (marge de manoeuvre ?) to revive the Canadian economy and the tax rates will have to increase substantially in the years to come to pay back this deficit, very likely up to levels Canada has never seen before in its history.

So yeah, it's getting urgent we go back to a "normal" life or our country will soon go bankrupt. And that's especially true for 20-year olds kids who are getting depressed and suicidal because of the lack of human relations. All of them need to go back to school and play sports (including football!). They're just not affected by the coronavirus. Out of the 4000+ deaths in Québec so far, zero are under 30. Not a single one.
    Rouge et Or all the way!

"A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall" - Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Sylven View Post
    So yeah, it's getting urgent we go back to a "normal" life or our country will soon go bankrupt. And that's especially true for 20-year olds kids who are getting depressed and suicidal because of the lack of human relations. All of them need to go back to school and play sports (including football!). They're just not affected by the coronavirus. Out of the 4000+ deaths in Québec so far, zero are under 30. Not a single one.
    That's not the whole picture. People under 30 can contract the virus and pass it along to other people who may/will/have die. LaLoche, in my province, is an example of this; workers travelling home from an oil sands camp in Alberta brought back the virus with them, which spread like wildfire in this very small community which just saw another one of its senior citizens (age 64 only) die.

Rushing back too soon puts the country at risk of greatly extending the time that this virus thrives in this country, hurting the economy even more.

Your arguement is based on the health of the economy; if anything, that is a reason not to field USports teams in 2020. USports does nothing to improve the financial picture of universities.

My province is led by a solidly right-leaning government; closing businesses and services is in direct conflict with their core beliefs - they wouldn't have closed things down if they didn't believe it was imperative to do so.
    Last edited by Cyrus; 2020-05-27 at 09:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    That's not the whole picture. People under 30 can contract the virus and pass it along to other people who may/will/have die. LaLoche, in my province, is an example of this; workers travelling home from an oil sands camp in Alberta brought back the virus with them, which spread like wildfire in this very small community which just saw another one of its senior citizens (age 64 only) die.

Rushing back too soon puts the country at risk of greatly extending the time that this virus thrives in this country, hurting the economy even more.

Your arguement is based on the health of the economy; if anything, that is a reason not to field USports teams in 2020. USports does nothing to improve the financial picture of universities.

My province is led by a solidly right-leaning government; closing businesses and services is in direct conflict with their core beliefs - they wouldn't have closed things down if they didn't believe it was imperative to do so.
    Cyrus, people can't stay out of work, school, sports - athletics, forever. There was a worse pandemic than this in 1918, called the Spanish Flu. In 1918, even with that terrible pandemic, they returned to playing sports.
    The Spanish flu had infected 500 million people and killed approx 50 million people. Mostly seniors. There was not a vaccine found, nor a cure.

In addition to the virus being hard on seniors, the poor are also vulnerable. We need to keep people employed or things could get much worse. It's also important to have fresh air, be outside with social distancing and wearing masks, gloves. Being outdoors, is healthier than being indoors, provided safe practices are in place. If your school or province doesn't want to engage, than that is their - your choice. But not everyone feels the same way.

Out door activities have started opening up. Parks have opened, golf courses have opened. Today, in the park in Ontario, there are people playing tennis, basketball, baseball, soccer. It's good to see.
    82 percent of those who died were from long term care centres. The military just reported their findings from those centres after they sent in the military. The conditions were atrocious. This contributed to the spike and increase in deaths. https://www.sudbury.com/national/mil...-homes-2377324
    Quebec's libraries, drive-ins and museums can reopen Friday, with malls and services such as dentist offices and hair salons poised to reopen Monday

My province is led by a right leaning govt also. But they are opening things up. Most retail is open, some factories, grocery, department stores, pharmacies, vets, medical offices are open, Parks are open,
    https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-r...open-1.4943931

Outdoor recreational sports centres for sports not played in teams, with limited access to facilities. This includes tennis courts, rod and gun clubs, cycling tracks, horse riding facilities and indoor golf driving ranges.
    Professional and amateur sport activity for individual/single competitors, including training and competition.

New cases are in decline
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rder-1.5586256

COVID-19 in Ontario is now primarily a Toronto-area problem, figures show
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ions-1.5584693

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rder-1.5586256

The longer people stay out of work, out of schools, sports, their health will decline, many will lose everything they have. The added stress could also make them vulnerable to the virus.
    Again, if some don't want to partake in sports, that's up to them. But for those that do, provided safe practices are in place, I do not see this as a problem
    All that said, there's 5 months before football could start, if they reduce schedule, and start later.

Check out what's opening up
    https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-r...open-1.4943931

https://www.cp24.com/news/ford-to-ma...omes-1.4956436
    Last edited by Spud's cyclesguy; 2020-05-27 at 10:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post

The whole picture is not so complicated: protect those who are vulnerable (mostly seniors over 70) but leave alone those who are not and let them resume their lives which has been paused for too long already. Let kids (from kindergarten to university) go to school and play sports, especially those played outdoors like football. This way, preserve their mental health, which has severely and generally declined over the past two and a half months. Teen help lines are just being overwhelmed by calls right now. Of course, they haven't seen their friends and played the sports they like for weeks!

For healty people under 50, the death rate of the coronavirus is less than the flu! Are we confining every Fall when the seasonal flu arrives? Hell no, we get a flu shot (even if it doesn't always work well) and tell those who are vulnerable (again, mostly seniors) to take extra precautions.

My argument is not based solely on economy but also on science. Look at Sweden: they didn't lock everything down and confine everyone. Schools, bars and restaurants never closed! Yet, their death rate is similar to ours and their economy has not been destroyed like ours. I'm sure they're happier too, less depressed and lonely. Meanwhile, unlike us, they have increased their collective immunity which will pay in the long term.
    Rouge et Or all the way!

"A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall" - Vince Lombardi

Brilliant Sylven, extremely well said. Couldn't agree with you more.
    Not only is the death rate high in nursing and retirement homes due to Covid19, the way these places operated had a big impact on the number of deaths. Read the report out on this. That is what needs immediate attention and fixing. No amount of shutting down the economy or going into lockdown is going to fix that. Government has now taken over those long care centres most affected, after the military went in and assessed them. they should be closed down because of the neglect and way they were run, but there would be no place to put the seniors. Covid exposed them. Everyone else is paying a high price for their neglect. Schools need to restart, along with businesses, and in time, travel. Time also to fix the problem with nursing homes, higher pay for workers, more strict rules on policies, that are followed up, better training, better quality food, management
    It's time people got back to work, sports, living. Kids, and adults are stressed. The economy has been destroyed along with mental health.
    Last edited by Spud's cyclesguy; 2020-05-27 at 12:25.

Do you know how expensive it'd be to play a season where they have to continuously test the players, and then play in empty stadiums? Athletic departments are hurting as it is. Trying to add the costs of testing while subtracting fan revenue makes it pretty close to impossible to operate. Regular testing plus isolation of the players is the only way you could do it and stay compliant with public health. Plus I'd hate to guess what the insurance costs would be, if anyone would insure it to begin with.

Besides, last I checked Calgary is still in Canada West, and they certainly don't have zero cases. Unless you're going to bring back the Great Plains conference just for football, you'll be out of luck.

Since they're already down to a 5 week season, a postponement to spring becomes a bit more feasible. I don't think the normal 9 week schedule would've been very compatible with a prairie winter/spring, unless we're looking to play arena rules.