Quote Originally Posted by Spud's cyclesguy View Post
No worries, you are very welcome, glad to have you back here. Always appreciate your input. I imagine things will be quite different with the online classes. Wonder how the majority of students will manage those.
Good to hear things were going well in Korea.
I have a feeling we may see some more restrictions here soon if the cases keep rising as they have been. Especially as elementary schools have kicked in. The classes aren't as much a problem -I don't think as teachers seem to have some good plans in place for social distancing. Anyway, not as much a problem as people holding house parties with too many people, as well as some of the school bussing, 70 kids to a bus is a bit cramped for kids of all grades to be together on a cramped school bus, but I suppose we'll wait and see what happens.

Thanks also for the info on the flights. Interesting about the domestic flights, I agree, you would think they could manage those a lot better - more social distancing.

I have some travel planned in spring, flights that were originally planned for this month to Europe but got pushed out.
So, hoping things settle down by then. If they do go ahead, I think I'll eat pre and after flight, to be on the safe side
I think sleeping was the best thing to do on your trip out and back which is what I plan to do when the trip eventually is confirmed to reschedule where travel is safe and there's enough places in Europe open to visit. Tourism is certainly hurt by this.
Hoping things get better in the spring - hoping either a treatment is found, or vaccine discovered, or the social distancing, masks, hand sanitizing are being adhered to.
What kind of a mask did you wear on the flights?? I plan on bringing a package of disposable gloves also along with masks. I would imagine hand sanitizer is readily available everywhere.

Again, welcome back, let us know about how the classes are coming along...any hiccups, challenges, positives. For the time being, it saves on transportation.
Thank you for your comments! Much appreciated.

Graduate courses are going fine. Some departments allow for mostly hybrid options in terms of courses, while others do almost entirely online. The latter is certainly frustrating, especially as someone who usually is worst off when it comes to online courses, but sometimes that's what happens.

Fortunately, this semester is a lighter one when it comes to workload so I am going to be spending more time working on PhD applications and of course, working on my thesis. Fortunately it is doable virtually, due to the availability of digitised sources, but that's all I could say about it now.

As for crowded flights, I assume oopsie daisies like this happen as Air Canada and other carriers scramble to figure out how to do this on domestic level. Certainly, international flights haven't had to deal with such problems because of lower demand, but this also means that domestic demand's going to be relatively higher. That's not something we could avoid at this point.

Fortunately, everybody still wore masks as asked- Air Canada provided the masks and other sanitary products upon boarding, but many people continued to wear what they brought - in my case, I wore a couple of masks that were imported from my parents' care packages because they were much more comfortable than those provided by AC. Regardless of products, though, AC has done a good job with sanitary measures and deserves to be praised for it, I guess.

As for trips to Europe, it's a good thing that Canadian citizens are still allowed to go without restrictions as much the other way- that's something that Canada, as a country, has earned the right (likewise goes to Korea and Japan, who were also included on that first round of lists a month or two ago). Hopefully it works out on your front as well.

I don't know how postsecondary institutions will move forward with it, but for winter term, University of Toronto has cancelled all outbound travels until April, which hampers everybody's mandatory internships (exchange was long cancelled anyways) on my program. For now many of us are looking to go over the summer, but if that's not the possibility, virtual internship will be available which would be no less than pathetic. Of course, that's not my grad coordinator nor department's fault- it's the university administration that's particularly stubborn over it, so everybody's just fuming but without a source to vent. Oh well....

I think that's all I could say for now. I am going to refrain from going on political fronts here, mostly because I'm busy working on thesis. Thank you for asking, and sorry for delays on that front.