Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213

Thread: Covid-19, non-football discussions

My take on this virus is as follow :

1- a virus is natural;
    2- our bodies are equipped to face viruses with their immune systems;
    3- trying to «flatten the curve» prevents our bodies to do what they're supposed to;
    4- restrictions and curfews are unatural, humans are social beings;
    5- trying to save the weaks is diminishing humanity strength, weakening our chances to survive in the future;
    6- when the remedy is worst than the cause, stop to apply it;

Thus, I'm for collective immunity, let that thing naturraly spread, if you know you're susceptible take care of yourself. - I say that and I'm in the «risk age group»....
    Laval Rouge & OR - The Greatest CIS/SportsU team the Earth has ever seen !™ 1999 - 2003 - 2004 - 2006 - 2008 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2016 - 2018 - 202_ and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Bizz View Post

1- a virus is natural;
    3- trying to «flatten the curve» prevents our bodies to do what they're supposed to;
    5- trying to save the weaks is diminishing humanity strength, weakening our chances to survive in the future;

Thus, I'm for collective immunity, let that thing naturraly spread, if you know you're susceptible take care of yourself. - I say that and I'm in the «risk age group»....
    Were this system to be implemented, and your entire family were to die from Covid but you survive and live on without them, would you consider it to be worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughts View Post
    Were this system to be implemented, and your entire family were to die from Covid but you survive and live on without them, would you consider it to be worth it?
    If his whole family died of covid, I would suggest that Bizz buy lottery tickets since the chances of such a scenario happening are infinitely smaller than winning the lottery.

Covid death rates (IFR) are less than 0.6% for people under 60 and less than 0.01% (1 / 10,000) for people under 30 (CDC numbers).

And from Dr. Harruda himself, "there is no evidence that the curfew is effective." In addition, no new measures (or very few) have been taken towards known outbreak sites (schools, industries, residences for the elderly, Long Term Care Center), which account for nearly 80% of outbreaks in the province of Qc.

Complete improvisation from Gvt, IMO.

Today, Ontario reported a record 4,249 new cases of COVID-19
    1,382 in Toronto, 691 in Peel Region, 427 in York Region, 213 in Niagara Region and 184 in Windsor-Essex.
    Hamilton: 176.
    Durham Region: 170.
    Ottawa:154.
    Waterloo Region: 147.
    Halton Region: 134.
    Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph: 85.
    Simcoe Muskoka: 75.
    Lambton: 56.
    Middlesex-London: 53.
    Eastern Ontario: 45.
    Brant County: 41.
    Southwestern: 40.
    Huron-Perth: 31.
    Grey Bruce County: 20.
    Haldimand-Norfolk: 20.
    Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge: 13.
    Sudbury: 13.
    Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington: 12.
    Renfrew County: 12.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...2021-1.5865874

This is very serious and without wearing protective masks, physical distancing, hand sanitizing we'd be in a lot more trouble.
    Sweden is doing much worse than it's neighbours, death rate is up substantially, they didn't achieve herd immunity.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

In a Long term care centre in the Toronto area, Scarborough, 73 residents, young and old have died since this recent outbreak.
    Scarborough long-term care home - Tendercare Living Centre reports 73 deaths, the deadliest COVID-19 outbreak recorded in Ontario
    For staff at the home, 32 staff members have COVID-19 and are self-isolating at home
    Orchard Villa in Pickering is behind Tendercare with 70 COVID-19 deaths reported back in May during the first wave. Camilla Care Community in Mississauga has 68 deaths
    https://globalnews.ca/news/7563175/t...s-coronavirus/

Cases are also springing up at work, warehouses, factories, and grocery stores.
    'Working conditions are hell': Amazon employees not surprised its warehouses have seen hundreds of COVID cases
    'There is no social distancing, there is no sanitation,' said one worker. 'Many of them, 99 per cent of them, are scared of working there, but they have no choice'
    https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...of-covid-cases
    https://nationalpost.com/news/more-t...pread-of-virus

There's now a field hospital in Burlington set up to take the overflow of Covid patients.
    https://nationalpost.com/news/first-...-in-burlington
    field.jpg

Here is a breakdown of the total cases in Ontario by gender and age:

101,762 people are male — an increase of 2,030 cases.
    105,342 people are female — an increase of 2,180 cases.
    27,010 people are 19 and under — an increase of 558 cases.
    75,998 people are 20 to 39 — an increase of 1,618 cases.
    60,180 people are 40 to 59 — an increase of 1,217 cases.
    30,131 people are 60 to 79 — an increase of 602 cases.
    15,027 people are 80 and over — an increase of 259 cases.
    The province notes that not all cases have a reported age or gender.

Age - Number of cases
    Under 20 27,010
    20-29 43,279
    30-39 32,719
    40-49 29,678
    50-59 30,502
    60-69 19,565
    70-79 10,566
    80-89 9,243
    90-99 5,784

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data

Case sources
    Travel, Workplace; warehouses, factories, offices, large gatherings, schools, stores/shops. (Spring, summer and fall outbreak, farms)
    https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data/cov...fection-source

Travel-related COVID spread in Ontario may be worse than we realize
    https://www.tvo.org/article/travel-r...han-we-realize

If you look at Toronto airport, there's still a lot of flights coming in and out of the airport from all over the world
    Last edited by Spud's cyclesguy; 2021-01-08 at 11:46.
    Everything goes in cycles!

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughts View Post
    First, it's not a system, it's nature's way of dealing with viruses.
    Second, the whole world is trying to «control nature», only to prevent medical ressources not to be overwhelmed, and I don't see any of them having acheive success.
    Lockdowns and curfews didn't solved anything, but the collaterals are beginning to show in a big way**.
    I see fear everywhere, and everything I read about the pandemic is VERY polarized, not good at all.
    I apply what we are told to do, even if I don't beleive in it.

** source in La Presse (French) saying antidepressor prescriptions jumped twice as fast as in the last 20 years) - only the tip of the iceberg.
    Last edited by Bizz; 2021-01-08 at 12:57. Reason: typos
    Laval Rouge & OR - The Greatest CIS/SportsU team the Earth has ever seen !™ 1999 - 2003 - 2004 - 2006 - 2008 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2016 - 2018 - 202_ and counting...

First, it's not a system, it's nature's way of dealing with viruses.
    Second, the whole world is trying to «control nature», only to prevent medical ressources not to be overwhelmed, and I don't see any of them having acheive success.
    Lockdowns and curfews didn't solved anything, but the collaterals are beginning to show in a big way**.
    I see fear everywhere, and everything I read about the pandemic is VERY polarized, not good at all.
    I apply what we are told to do, even if I don't beleive in it.

** source in La Presse (French) saying antidepressor prescriptions jumped twice as fast as in the last 20 years) - only the tip of the iceberg.
    Australia has achieved success, they had locked down for several months, controlled flights in and out for the most part, restricted flights. They are very strict there when it comes to this and they are in great shape.
    Australia Total cases 28,571 Total new cases +25 - total deaths - 909 - Population 25,653,312

https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19
    https://www.health.gov.au/news/healt...d-case-numbers
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/austral...us-uk-variant/
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

So it appears to work.

I am all for it if Covid-19 infected individuals limit themsleves from going to the hospital... that's the nub of the matter: collaspe of the healthcare system.

I am for collective immunity by vaccination
    Laval is a palindrome!!! How can we lose???

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
    - Plato

"Victory belongs to the most persevering."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
    - Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtype View Post
    I am all for it if Covid-19 infected individuals limit themsleves from going to the hospital... that's the nub of the matter: collaspe of the healthcare system.

I am for collective immunity by vaccination
    That's the real issue that all the 'Swedes' I have around me fail to account for. All they look at is the mortality rate.
    Laval Rouge et Or

The Rouge et Or are a special program. By far the strongest in the nation and likely the greatest program ever. - Duane Rollins, Sept 2nd 2008

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

I listened to a McMaster paediatrician on the radio today. Most interesting stat ...

0 children in Ontario have died from Covid-19.

1 child in Ontario with Covid-19 died from other causes.

Multiple children in Ontario (she wasn't specific) have died as a result of suicide and overdose which are up dramatically since schools were first closed in March.
    An unofficial source for news & opinions about the University of Guelph football program
    http://gryphonfootball.wordpress.com/

Default Good news. Bad news.

Some good news from Montreal ...

Quebec researchers say they have found an effective drug to fight COVID-19

After what has happened with HCQ, Ivermectin, etc. I won't be surprised if this "good news" is ignored by public health experts and much of the rest of the medical community.

Bad news about the effects of lockdowns on young people, long suspected but often denied, now, more or less confirmed ...

Las Vegas-area district moves to partially reopen schools amid surge in student suicides

The Clark County School District in Nevada is moving to partially reopen schools in response to a surge of student suicides, The New York Times reports.

Eighteen students in the county took their own lives in the final nine months of 2020, the Times reports, leading the Clark County school board to approve returning some elementary school grades and struggling classes back to in-person learning despite the continuing spread of the coronavirus.

"When we started to see the uptick in children taking their lives, we knew it wasn't just the COVID numbers we need to look at anymore," said Clark County superintendent Jesus Jara.

According to Jara, the 18 suicides in the nine months that schools have been closed is double the number of suicides recorded in the school district in the entire previous year. The youngest student to kill themselves was nine years old.
    An unofficial source for news & opinions about the University of Guelph football program
    http://gryphonfootball.wordpress.com/

1- a virus is natural;

Quote Originally Posted by peter.gryphon View Post
    I listened to a McMaster paediatrician on the radio today. Most interesting stat ...

0 children in Ontario have died from Covid-19.

1 child in Ontario with Covid-19 died from other causes.

Multiple children in Ontario (she wasn't specific) have died as a result of suicide and overdose which are up dramatically since schools were first closed in March.
    My son knows of 13 people in their early 20s who have taken their own lives since lockdowns started. The cure is worse than the disease.

Assessing mandatory stay‐at‐home and business closure effects on the spread of COVID‐19
    Last edited by Hollywood; 2021-02-18 at 11:53.
    YOU DESERVE TO SEE CANADA'S BEST!
    CLICK HERE FOR THE 2019 OHT27!.

" ...there is always variance when looking at suicide rates around the world, but so far there doesn't appear to have been a major increase in suicides globally. If anything, he said the emerging data so far seems to suggest the opposite."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ease-1.5902908

This photo of Joe Biden getting his second dose of vaccine has been seen by countless people around the world.

So who is the other guy?

He is none other then Ric Cuming, B.ScN. ---an alumnus of the uOttawa Faculty of Health Sciences. Ric is a native of Montreal and has worked in hospitals there before taking a job in the USA.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2021-05-14 at 13:53.
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

Quote Originally Posted by ottawafan View Post
    This photo of Joe Biden getting his second dose of vaccine has been seen by countless people around the world.

So who is the other guy?

He is none other then Ric Cuming, B.ScN. ---an alumnus of the uOttawa Faculty of Health Sciences. Ric is a native of Montreal and has worked in hospitals there before taking a job in the USA.
    Good one Ottawafan. That's great to see - and good for Canada & Ottawa U.

Federal government invests $200 million to build an mRNA vaccine plant in Ontario

A staff member sets up an antibody production line at the Ibex building of Lonza, where the Moderna mRNA coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccine will be produced, in Visp, Switzerland, Sept. 29, 2020. (Denis Balibouse/Reuters - image credit)

The federal government today announced a $200-million investment to help a Mississauga, Ont.-based company build a plant that can churn out millions of mRNA vaccines.
    Innovation Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne said the money will be used to expand an existing site owned by Resilience Biotechnologies Inc. to provide "made-in-Canada solutions such as vaccines and treatments for future pandemics."
    The funds will expand Resilience's manufacturing and fill-finish capacity for a number of vaccines and therapeutics, including mRNA shots like the ones now being used to fight COVID-19, Champagne said.

The government says the plant expansion will create 500 permanent jobs and 50 co-op placements for students once construction is complete in 2024.
    The addition of some 55,000 square feet of factory space will allow Resilience to manufacture between 112 million and 640 million doses of mRNA product each year. The goal is to leave Canada less dependent on foreign vaccine makers when the next pandemic hits.
    Resilience is a contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO), which means it assembles products developed by other companies.
    It's standard for big pharmaceutical companies like AstraZeneca, Merck and Pfizer to outsource the actual drug manufacturing process to third parties. Some companies have sold their manufacturing sites to focus on research and development. A Novartis-owned plant in Boucherville, Que. was sold to Avara, a contract manufacturing operation, in 2018.
    There isn't currently a CDMO in Canada that is capable of producing a supply of vaccines sufficient to meet national and international demands.

Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

Excellent news!
    Laval Rouge et Or

The Rouge et Or are a special program. By far the strongest in the nation and likely the greatest program ever. - Duane Rollins, Sept 2nd 2008

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Quote Originally Posted by marton View Post
    Excellent news!
    Yes it is.