Quote Originally Posted by ottawafan View Post
The universities are taking a financial hit due to the Virus. Many were already squeezed by government funding cutbacks.
Here is a quote from the article Jim posted a link to:

* uOttawa just announced the suspension of their athletics and recreation fee and will lose funds. The athletic departments will lose more such fees if enrollment drops in Sept as many are predicting.
**Ottawa also announced the cancelation and postponement of similar camps
***Ottawa has also postponed fundraisers such as the annual TouchDown Dinner and Fundraiser

Uof A and Uof O will not be the only universities where all of this will happen. Come September the budgets of many athletic departments will be a mess and Varsity sports will suffer. Watch for a lot of appeals to supporters for donations. If your business or job has hit a rock you may not be able to answer the call.

In a financial pinch, survival is the name of game. In order to survive, you have to look back at your primary mission.

In this case, the mission is to remain an institution of higher learning.

So, you cut in the fat and, in this case, the fat is athletics. We should all be prepared to accept the loss of varsity sports if it means that all teams can return for 2021 - 2022.

(tongue in cheek)

On the plus side, this may mean that some incompetent ADs will be demoted to training cheer leaders and that Marton will get a well deserved break.

Also, please dont't worry about my sanity. as I do this every year, I'll soon be self-isolating in the woods and won't come out till it's time to open my X-Mas gifts...