Before people start quoting Republic of Korea or Taiwan's relative successes in handling coronavirus epidemic, I'd like to point out two things:

1) Both South Korea and Taiwan have been prepared for years. South Korea suffered a particularly nasty MERS outbreak back in Spring 2015, and in past few years foot-and-mouth disease (important because it did affect rural economies a lot) so they learned to adjust their strategies under such outbreaks and whatnot. I'm also sure we all know why Taiwan's been prepared for many years...

2) What a lot of the tracking and other availability of public access in information, in Republic of Korea, China or Singapore would be considered in the West as human rights violations. At the same time, infrastructure's not necessarily there in great areas of North America to successfully track all the cases, mostly due to money and infrastructural deficiencies.

Ultimately, if we are to learn from this, is that investing on infrastructure and our public systems cannot be emphasised enough. Whether it's on rails, broadband, roads, healthcare system etc, I don't care, But we do need to be better with it, in order to anticipate and prevent those risks better....