Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Football and Covid-19

Hybrid View

Default Football and Covid-19

It is getting harder to ignore that some countries are banning large gatherings and sport events are affected.

The latest casualty is getting closer to home. The IAFA has postponed indefinitely the 2020 World Junior Football Championship.

No Team Canada for now!

If things get out of hand Canadian university sport could be in trouble this autumn. Maybe the CIS will not have to find a venue for the 2020 Vanier Cup Game. As it is, news of cancellations like the IAFA event could make it even harder to find a host for this year's Vanier.
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2020-03-07 at 12:59.
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

For the record... We are working on a plan to host a U20 WJC in a Canadian city in 2021.
    Krown Gridiron Nation on TSN. Your home for amateur football coverage from a Canadian perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mullin View Post
    For the record... We are working on a plan to host a U20 WJC in a Canadian city in 2021.
    But,,,but..how ?? We'll all be dead from the virus by then
    3mwd5n.jpg

Which arguably is better than slowly agonizing from Climate Change over the next...18months, 3 years. 7 years, 12 years. Or whatever date Greta plucks out of thin air next

Is it the truth or did you see it on NBC ?
    KS5ghiGV3BMrxdTLzwEL6BDzpwRV4i22gUc6WkdVp7Q.jpg

were-all-gonna-die-but-i-have-a-helmet.jpg
    Last edited by ExiledFan; 2020-03-07 at 15:10. Reason: add pic
    Train ride to a home game..$80, season tickets $198. Beer and hotdogs at the game $20, Championship Cap and player's jersey,$100.
    Trip to Vanier Cup 2012,$500. Trip to 2013 Vanier Cup and having a cool lunch with Jim Mullin the next day, $200.
    Being a fan of the only team with 4 consecutive years in the Championship Game, 3 Vanier Cups in front of THEM , 9 Vanier Cups ahead of UdeMontreal...PRICELESS

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledFan View Post
    Which arguably is better than slowly agonizing from Climate Change over the next...18months, 3 years. 7 years, 12 years. Or whatever date Greta plucks out of thin air next
    Right, because it's not as if over 97% percent of scientists agree that climate change is a threat to our planet.
    Last edited by Cyrus; 2020-03-07 at 15:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Right, because it's not as if over 97% percent of scientists agree that climate change is a threat to our planet.
    Don't bother. I've known ExiledFan for about thirty years. If the republican president said it, it's the THRUTH, even though 97% of the scientific community says differently.
    I would rather win ugly than lose pretty. Bobby Bowden

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. tanstaafl

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Don't bother. I've known ExiledFan for about thirty years. If the republican president said it, it's the THRUTH, even though 97% of the scientific community says differently.
    Nothing to do with Dems or GOP , I was merely poking fun at the fact that depending on who I chose to believe , The Secretary General of the UN, CNN, The crazy Congresswoman from Brooklyn or our very own Cath Mckenna, I will have died 4 times when I finally reach retirement age.

Yes Climate does change, yes human certainly have some impact on it.

Do I believe in the Doomsday cult increasingly ridiculous preditions... Hell No

And for the record.... That 97% study...does not say what people , including apparently you my good friend, think it said.

There's no secret conspiracy about, it nothing hidden from view, just one stupid misquote that took on a life of it's own and altered the perception of the whole thing.

What John Cook and his team from The Concensus Project publihed in 2013 , after their statistical analysis of close to 20K abstracts of papers and articles from various scientific, scholarly and media sources , was a report that concluded that between 90 to 97 % of Climate Experts agreed that human activities contributed to Global Warming . He edged his bet with the 7% bracket because some of the source materials in the study ( about 2k documents ) were getting dubious peer reviews even then.

Journalists didn't care, they went with the larger number and 97 stuck.

And then...the real damage came from all places...from the White House. President Obama, while giving a speech misquoted the very recently published report and you guessed it...used 97% of Scientists. Since the only thing Obama and Trump have in common is that THEY are never wrong....there was no walking it back. 97% of scientist became the "Official US Gov, approved " way of speaking about it. The UN gladly followed suit and the rest is "misquote history"

I'm not saying the original study is wrong, althought Cook himself never hid the fact that he was trying to produce a BIG number that would help climate activist in their lobbying with Govs and Big money ppl, and influence public perception of the Climate "crisis". He is rather proud of how it turned out.
    Train ride to a home game..$80, season tickets $198. Beer and hotdogs at the game $20, Championship Cap and player's jersey,$100.
    Trip to Vanier Cup 2012,$500. Trip to 2013 Vanier Cup and having a cool lunch with Jim Mullin the next day, $200.
    Being a fan of the only team with 4 consecutive years in the Championship Game, 3 Vanier Cups in front of THEM , 9 Vanier Cups ahead of UdeMontreal...PRICELESS

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Turns out some of the predictions from the pandemic models have already been as wildly overstated as the climate change models.

I expect to be watching college football in the fall.
    An unofficial source for news & opinions about the University of Guelph football program
    http://gryphonfootball.wordpress.com/

^^^^^^^^

I was not intending a discussion on climate change but the more immediate effects of the new virus. We have had epidemics in the past that did great damage. Today we have more knowledge and tools to combat epidemics. One of things we know is to limit the opportunity of a virus to spread by limiting human interactions. Thus we have people being quarantined and large gatherings being banned.

By August, we may have defeated Covid -19 or if it still is spreading we may indeed see things like sport events being cancelled --including uSport ones.

I guess I have more interest in the possibilities than most on this forum. When I was very young I worked as a lab tech in a Health Canada lab that dealt with all kinds of micro-organisms--before I headed off to the Pharmaceutical industry. My ex worked for Health Canada all her career.

I had grandparents who told me about the great Flu epidemic of 1918. Yes I am that old. A quick check reminds me that the Spanish Flu killed 20+ million worldwide. 55,000 in Canada. 520 in what was then a very tiny Ottawa. We are lucky that we have the knowledge to combat that happening again. We should take that knowledge seriously.
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2020-03-08 at 06:10.
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

Quote Originally Posted by ottawafan View Post
    ^^^^^^^^

I was not intending a discussion on climate change but the more immediate effects of the new virus. We have had epidemics in the past that did great damage. Today we have more knowledge and tools to combat. One of things we know is to limit the opportunity of a virus to spread by limiting human interactions. Thus we have people being quarantined and large gatherings being banned.

By August we may have defeated Covid -19 or if it still is spreading we may indeed see things like sport events being cancelled --including uSport ones.

I guess I have more interest in the possibilities than most on this forum. When I was vary young I worked as a lab tech in a Health Canada lab that dealt with all kinds of micro-organisms--before I headed off to the Pharmaceutical industry. My ex worked for Health Canada all her career.

I had grandparents who told me about the great Flu epidemic of 1918. Yes I am that old. A quick check reminds me that the Spanish Flu killed 20+ million worldwide. 55,000 in Canada. 520 in what was then a very tiny Ottawa. We are lucky that we have the knowledge to combat that happening again. We should take that knowledge seriously.
    Good post....and I'm sorry if I contributed to the distraction.
    It's just that I'm really tired of " dying every few months" of the outrage /policy/crisis "du jour". It activated my sarcasm reflex !

Good post....and I'm sorry if I contributed to the distraction.
    It's just that I'm really tired of " dying every few months" of the outrage /policy/crisis "du jour". It activated my sarcasm reflex !
    It is a problem when people cry "Wolf" too many times and we become complacent because of it.

My health has not been damaged by Covid-19 but my retirement funds have!! The fear of economic activity being reduced by Covid-19 is causing world stock markets (and interest rates) to plunge. My accounts show it . Alas, they will eventually bounce back sometime after the virus is defeated.

It would add insult to injury if Covid-19 wiped out my university football season.
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2020-03-08 at 06:21.

It is a problem when people cry "Wolf" too many times and we become complacent because of it.

My health has not been damaged by Covid-19 but my retirement funds have!! The fear of economic activity being reduced by Covid-19 is causing world stock markets (and interest rates) to plunge. My accounts show it . Alas, they will eventually bounce back sometime after the virus is defeated.

It would add insult to injury if Covid-19 wiped out my university football season.
    I know how you feel, I work in the Trucking Industry, we do Canada-USA-Mexico with Drybox trailers and flat-beds, and container transport all across QC. Want to guess how bad we got hit when the chinese shipping slow-down combined with the rail blockades ?!? ... Any kind of restriction to the Cdn-Usa traffic will surely cause lay-offs and for some of the less solid firms it could mean shutting down.

Here we go:

Montreal was to hold the World Figure Skating Championship later this month and now it is cancelled.

The San Francisco Warriors of the NBA will play a game on Thursday---in an empty stadium.

Sports could be in trouble for a while.

So, what you're saying is that maybe, with their approach to Vanier 2020, USports is ahead of the curve?
    Carleton: frightened by the Queen's Bands since 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGuy View Post
    So, what you're saying is that maybe, with their approach to Vanier 2020, USports is ahead of the curve?
    I did suggest that in a previous post --and who is going to bid on the 2020 game now that the possibility that it would be played without fans is real.

Just 5 minutes ago the NCAA announced that March Madness will be played in arenas without any fans in them.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/11/march-...f-coronavirus/

Perhaps CIS football will be played this autumn without any fans in attendance. At some schools it will not be noticed.
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2020-03-11 at 12:57.

NCAA announced today that they would hold the March Madness in empty arenas. Teams, staff, families. That's about it, rest will be empty seats.

NBA have been talking of doing the same for about a week now.
    Laval Rouge et Or

The Rouge et Or are a special program. By far the strongest in the nation and likely the greatest program ever. - Duane Rollins, Sept 2nd 2008

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Quote Originally Posted by marton View Post
    NCAA announced today that they would hold the March Madness in empty arenas. Teams, staff, families. That's about it, rest will be empty seats.

NBA have been talking of doing the same for about a week now.
    NBA just suspended it's season
    https://www.rds.ca/basketball/nba/la...irus-1.7275475

People already at the Thunder's game were sent home when the game was "postponed"
    https://www.rds.ca/videos/basketball...ball-3.1364437

NBA just suspended it's season
    https://www.rds.ca/basketball/nba/la...irus-1.7275475

People already at the Thunder's game were sent home when the game was "postponed"
    https://www.rds.ca/videos/basketball...ball-3.1364437
    And the NHL follows
    https://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/covid-...ites-1.7275841

--and the CFL has cancelled the regional combines in Montreal and Edmonton and the main one in Toronto.

--not sport--but music--the Juno Awards have been cancelled.

--not sport--but music--the Juno Awards have been cancelled.
    OH MY GAWD !!!! I've been so wrong! The End of the World is truly upon us, If the "tartists" are now cancelling some of their navel-gazing events.

March Madness has been officially cancelled.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/12/march-...irus-outbreak/

The Usports Men's and Women's Hockey Championships have been cancelled. This in spite of already having played some quarterfinal games.

Ottawa was sure lucky to get the Bouncy-ball championships done before the mud hit the fan.
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2020-03-13 at 03:38.

The last hope for Sports Networks to have some non-re-run pro sport programming to broadcast just died.

All Elite Football activities in the UK have been postponed until at least April 3rd.
    Premier, EFL, WFL and the FA Cup games.

To fulfill spare time, I just bought this game :

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bizz; 2020-03-14 at 14:54.
    Laval Rouge & OR - The Greatest CIS/SportsU team the Earth has ever seen !™ 1999 - 2003 - 2004 - 2006 - 2008 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2016 - 2018 - 202_ and counting...

You'll be playing the cute woman in the lab coat or one of the GI Joes ??

You'll be playing the cute woman in the lab coat or one of the GI Joes ??
    The woman. It's not because I'll be looking for hours on end at a pretty woman instead of a man's ugly behind, I'm because a scientist (of course).
    I would rather win ugly than lose pretty. Bobby Bowden

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. tanstaafl