Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast

Thread: Football and Covid-19

This October marks the 50th anniversary of the "October Crisis" . Early one November morning, I set out to drive to Halifax for the Atlantic Bowl.
    I encountered a long convoy of troops and equipment leaving Montreal. I can still picture it.

uOttawa** won the Atlantic Bowl on a very wet Nov 13. We defeated UNB 24-11. A few days later GG QB Paul Paddon was awarded the HEC.

Here we are 50 years later, and we have the "Covid Crisis" . Montreal is a hot spot once again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** That was an unusual team . Training camp was nigh and they did not have a HC.Bob O'Billovich stepped up and coached the team for that season only. He had little time to recruit. He made do with what he had and could find at the last minute. The team was small in stature. There were no horses in the backfield, only ponies. Yet they went 5-0-1 in the regular season, won the CCIFC championship and the Atlantic Bowl before losing to Manitoba in the College Bowl (the then Vanier Cup Game).
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/five-uotta...d-19-1.5147093

5 Gee Gees players test positive for Covid 19.....
    2019: 10 weeks, 17 games, 6,587kms.
    2018: 11 weeks, 17 games, 7,952kms. (preseason incl.)
    2017: 12 weeks, 21 games, 9,675kms. (preseason incl.)
    2016: 14 weeks, 18 games, 9,791kms. (preseason incl.)
    2015: 11 weeks, 16 games, 6,247kms.
    2009: 12 weeks, 19 games, 11,063kms.
    2008: 12 weeks, 19 games, 6,191kms.
    2007: 11 weeks, 18 games and 7,531kms.

Quote Originally Posted by chappy View Post
    https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/five-uotta...d-19-1.5147093

5 Gee Gees players test positive for Covid 19.....
    CoachMB says all five lived in the same house. None got ill. They were not doing anything they were not supposed to, but still caught the virus. Just bad luck.
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2020-11-13 at 06:38.
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

Scott Radley column in The Hamilton Spectator: One Wish for 2021: The return of kids sports

I hope we can all agree ...

So, here’s hoping 2021 brings back kids’ sports. And fast.

Because honestly, the thought that some children might miss another year of whatever it is they love to do — years they can’t get back because they’re only a kid once — is simply heartbreaking.
    The way I look at it, we already know that Covid-19, like almost all other respiratory viruses, is highly seasonal. In northern climates that means April/May through to October outdoor sports can be played safely with a few precautions, particularly youth sports where the participants are at low risk of contracting or spreading the virus. Add in the fact that Canada will be 4 or 5 months into vaccine distribution and there is no reason that youth sports organizations shouldn't be preparing now for "summer" seasons in 2021.

I do worry that some organizations [i.e. Football Ontario] will dither around and wait until July before giving the OK to play. At that point it will be too late for the OPFL, OVFL & OFC to play summer seasons. I have little confidence that much if any HS football will be played in Ontario in 2021 even if everything goes well in this province. Wipe out another summer season and the 2021 HS football season and I doubt football will ever recover in Ontario.

Perhaps, our "beloved U Sports leaders" should think about starting football season several weeks earlier than usual. For example, open training camps in late July, begin games the 2nd week of August and start playoffs in early October with the Vanier Cup scheduled for Saturday, Oct 30.
    An unofficial source for news & opinions about the University of Guelph football program
    http://gryphonfootball.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by peter.gryphon View Post
    Scott Radley column in The Hamilton Spectator: One Wish for 2021: The return of kids sports

I hope we can all agree ...

The way I look at it, we already know that Covid-19, like almost all other respiratory viruses, is highly seasonal. In northern climates that means April/May through to October outdoor sports can be played safely with a few precautions, particularly youth sports where the participants are at low risk of contracting or spreading the virus. Add in the fact that Canada will be 4 or 5 months into vaccine distribution and there is no reason that youth sports organizations shouldn't be preparing now for "summer" seasons in 2021.

I do worry that some organizations [i.e. Football Ontario] will dither around and wait until July before giving the OK to play. At that point it will be too late for the OPFL, OVFL & OFC to play summer seasons. I have little confidence that much if any HS football will be played in Ontario in 2021 even if everything goes well in this province. Wipe out another summer season and the 2021 HS football season and I doubt football will ever recover in Ontario.

Perhaps, our "beloved U Sports leaders" should think about starting football season several weeks earlier than usual. For example, open training camps in late July, begin games the 2nd week of August and start playoffs in early October with the Vanier Cup scheduled for Saturday, Oct 30.
    I agree. That said, there's a couple new strains of Covid going around coming in from the UK and South Africa, that have been discovered in some Canadian provinces from people who have returned from oversees travel. Additionally, Covid cases are on the rise and today Ontario broke a record-high 2,553 new COVID-19 cases.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...open-1.5856296

A total of 864 people are hospitalized in Ontario due to COVID-19, including a record-high of 304 people in intensive care. Hospital staff have warned that intensive care units are reaching maximum capacity and threaten to overwhelm the health-care system if nothing changes in the coming weeks.
    There were also 78 deaths reported over the two days – 37 on Monday and 41 on Tuesday. 207 persons breathing with the help of a ventilator.
    “Today, there are 895 new cases in Toronto, 496 in Peel, 147 in Windsor-Essex County, 144 in Hamilton and 142 in York Region, Durham reported 108 new cases while Halton Region reported 78 new cases.

Meanwhile in the US - LA investigates whether super-infectious mutant COVID strain from UK is behind surge in cases as terrifying graph shows California's infection rate has rocketed - killing 1 Covid patients every 10 minutes.
    https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...ery-10-minutes
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rge-cases.html
    https://www.orfonline.org/expert-spe...-year-numbers/

Let's hope the vaccines offer the much needed help to conquer this virus. If so, hopefully things return to normal in spring.
    In the meantime, we must all do our part to help prevent the spread of this virus, physical distance, hand sanitize, wear masks, keep outings to grocery store, to a minimal, as needed.
    Last edited by Spud's cyclesguy; 2020-12-29 at 07:36.
    Everything goes in cycles!

The CFL is said to be looking for a $600,000 drop in collective salaries for each team. For instance, the Ottawa Citizen reports that Brad Sinopoli is one Ottawa player that is being asked to accept a salary cut.

Having missed an entire season and coming back to a salary cut, I wonder how many CFL players will decide to hang up the cleats for good?

Quote Originally Posted by ottawafan View Post
    The CFL is said to be looking for a $600,000 drop in collective salaries for each team. For instance, the Ottawa Citizen reports that Brad Sinopoli is one Ottawa player that is being asked to accept a salary cut.

Having missed an entire season and coming back to a salary cut, I wonder how many CFL players will decide to hang up the cleats for good?
    Everywhere is experiencing salary cuts. Food costs are going up and we are in a tough spot. If he has a job there, and likes it, maybe not a bad idea to hang on to it. Unless he wants to do something else.

NFL is the same. Look how much their teams - players are getting cut.
    NFLPA head suggests that salary cap could drop by $70 million next season. DeMaurice Smith said there are estimates that each team could lose $70 million in 2020, which could mean a 2021 salary cap of around $120M. This obviously would not be sustainable for most teams out there.
    https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-salary-ca...m-next-season/

There certainly aren't going to be many if any wage increases anywhere.

Salary freezes expected to soar in 2021
    https://www.hrreporter.com/focus-are...in-2021/333773

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/look...kely-1.5124338

TORONTO, Nov. 18, 2020 /CNW/ -- According to Gallagher's 2020/2021 Salary Planning Survey – Canada Edition, 62 per cent of employers implemented pay raises before the pandemic. However, as the economic realities of
    COVID-19 set in toward the end of first quarter 2020, many organizations were forced to reduce employee headcounts, implement hiring freezes and decrease salary-increase budgets. As a result, 38 per cent of employers indicated that their salary-increase plans were modified for 2020 – a trend that will continue into 2021.
    https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...819634135.html

Salaries could drop if work-from-home becomes permanent: Experts
    https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/salaries...erts-1.1453965

There's going to be many businesses going into bankruptcy. Much job loss.
    If he has a job he likes, and the pay is decent, maybe not a bad idea to stick with it. Things will eventually pick up, maybe after this more people will be happy to go to games again, maybe even more appreciative than before.
    Last edited by Spud's cyclesguy; 2021-01-10 at 18:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Spud's cyclesguy View Post
    Everywhere is experiencing salary cuts. Food costs are going up and we are in a tough spot. If he has a job there, and likes it, maybe not a bad idea to hang on to it. Unless he wants to do something else.

There's going to be many businesses going into bankruptcy. Much job loss.
    If he has a job he likes, and the pay is decent, maybe not a bad idea to stick with it. Things will eventually pick up, maybe after this more people will be happy to go to games again, maybe even more appreciative than before.
    Not everywhere. Some Federal gov't employees are still getting full pay even if they are only working 4 hours per week on-line. My friend's wife is cashing those cheques from Correctional Services Canada without a second thought.
    An unofficial source for news & opinions about the University of Guelph football program

...Having missed an entire season and coming back to a salary cut, I wonder how many CFL players will decide to hang up the cleats for good?
    Reality is that football players themselves always say that «football is a game», so they should pay to do it ! A salary cut is still better than paying for your game; just like we all do when we go rent an arena for hockey.
    Last edited by Bizz; 2021-01-30 at 08:40. Reason: missing a word
    Laval Rouge & OR - The Greatest CIS/SportsU team the Earth has ever seen !™ 1999 - 2003 - 2004 - 2006 - 2008 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2016 - 2018 - 202_ and counting...

I'll be interested to see what attendance would be like even once restrictions are lifted. I suspect that ticket sales will be sluggish for 2021 at least.
    YOU DESERVE TO SEE CANADA'S BEST!
    CLICK HERE FOR THE 2019 OHT27!.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I'll be interested to see what attendance would be like even once restrictions are lifted. I suspect that ticket sales will be sluggish for 2021 at least.
    I am just hoping there will be football in the fall. Students will be the last group to be vaccinated, and here in BC that is scheduled to be August early September.

I think that football in the Fall will be a reality...
    Laval is a palindrome!!! How can we lose???

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
    - Plato

"Victory belongs to the most persevering."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
    - Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I'd bet the R&O will get a better attendance that 2019.
    I would rather win ugly than lose pretty. Bobby Bowden

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. tanstaafl

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtype View Post
    I think that football in the Fall will be a reality...
    I sure hope you're right.

It doesn't sound good for tackle football this summer in Ontario. Our provincial organization doesn't seem to have nearly the will to play that Football Quebec showed last year.

CFL will delay the start of the season until August. The season is shortened to 14 games.

I've heard no decision has been made yet in the OUA, thus no commitment to play yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DSquared View Post
    I've heard no decision has been made yet in the OUA, thus no commitment to play yet.
    On a positive note, some good news: the vaccines are getting distributed faster - so this may help with getting things under control and perhaps see the return of students to in class participation at university, sports, and bring more people back to work.

Ontario to expand COVID-19 vaccine eligibility to all adults by end of May
    Ontario plans to substantially expand eligibility for COVID-19 vaccines in May, officials said Thursday, with shipments to the province expected to ramp up in the coming weeks.

With millions of doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines anticipated to begin arriving in Ontario, the province's vaccine task force says it can accelerate its timeline so all adults will be able to register for a first dose by the end of May. Week of May 24: Ontario adults over the age of 18.
    Also if we continue on a more aggressive downward trend with cases between now and then, it brings with it more hope for university sports.

Recently we outpaced the USA with Covid case loads, because of our initial slow vaccine roll out, which shows that the vaccines do work - in the USA who's been distributing them faster. In the last two weeks, our vaccine roll out has picked up speed, and there are also some people who have had the virus and have developed herd immunity. By June things could be significantly better.
    The vaccines are shown to be very effective in control of the virus. Let's see what happens by mid June - after more of the population including young adults are vaccinated, and or develop herd immunity.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ling-1.6006880
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canad...lion-1.5983507

https://time.com/5942076/proof-covid-19-vaccines-work/
    Last edited by Spud's cyclesguy; 2021-04-29 at 18:02.

Ontario has frozen college and university tuition fees for another year for residents of Ontario. However,out of province students could see their tuition increasing by another 3%.

At the same time, Ontario has asked the Feds to block the arrival of International students into Canada. I don't know for how long they want this ban to last?

All of this will impose more financial stress on Ontario universities.

Could the ban stop USA,European, Asian, African student-athletes from coming to Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by DSquared View Post
    I heard the UofG A.D. and the head football coach say that the Gryphons would be playing some sort of season in 2021.

It may not be the usual OUA football season but Guelph will be playing football.

Perhaps the Gryphons will play temporarily in the RSEQ, similar to Notre Dame playing in the ACC in 2020.
    Last edited by peter.gryphon; 2021-05-02 at 20:24.

Canada West has announced a return to play format for the 2021-22 season. Teams would play six regular season games with one game against each member and an additional game against one other member. The additional game would be as follows: UBC draws CGY orALB, SSK plays the other ABteam, MAN plays REG. The conference playoff format would remain the same. If this format happens, I hope they add a bye week at the end of the season to allow for potential re-scheduled games.

https://canada-west.prezly.com/stage...lay-in-2021-22

Quote Originally Posted by Gornaldatron View Post
    Canada West has announced a return to play format for the 2021-22 season. Teams would play six regular season games with one game against each member and an additional game against one other member. The additional game would be as follows: UBC draws CGY orALB, SSK plays the other ABteam, MAN plays REG. The conference playoff format would remain the same. If this format happens, I hope they add a bye week at the end of the season to allow for potential re-scheduled games.

https://canada-west.prezly.com/stage...lay-in-2021-22
    Let us hope that Canada West and the other regions can pull off a season. Better still if we can attend.

Vaccines are coming into Canada now so that we can probably give most of the population a dose before the end of June. Then we can immediately start on a round of second doses. Let us all encourage those we know to get vaccinated so that the mecial authorities feel confident enough to let us have a season.

I heard a joke today. It said that the most popular name for newborns in 2021 will be Pfizer. Pfizer Johnson is a good name for a future university football player.

I am pretty optimistic. Vaccination campaign has hit high gear, by the time fall comes a significant portion of the population will have had the 2nd shot.

Unless some new variant resists the vaccines we should be well on our way back to a normal (or normalish) life. Including attending football.
    Laval Rouge et Or

The Rouge et Or are a special program. By far the strongest in the nation and likely the greatest program ever. - Duane Rollins, Sept 2nd 2008

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Quote Originally Posted by marton View Post
    I am pretty optimistic. Vaccination campaign has hit high gear, by the time fall comes a significant portion of the population will have had the 2nd shot.

Unless some new variant resists the vaccines we should be well on our way back to a normal (or normalish) life. Including attending football.
    I too am pretty optimistic, as more and more people get vaccinated. Getting more vaccines from south of the border, has certainly helped. Things are looking good for fall.
    Let's hear it for Pfizer.

Ontario looks like it might be extending it's lockdown till June 2....Even though cases are in decline, we are still fairly high.... extending will also help control & reduce the virus cases as more people get vaccinated. Opening up too early last time, without the vaccines caused spikes and sent us back into lockdown.
    Quebec imposed some pretty tough measures, and they are doing better.

And since the vaccine rollout, seniors are not the primary ones who have been getting the virus.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...bution-canada/
    https://files.ontario.ca/moh-covid-1...2020-12-18.pdf

Seniors previously had topped the list for getting Covid 19 even during lockdown. Now after the vaccine rollout, those numbers have reduced significantly.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/publi...tics-1.5733069

Quote Originally Posted by Spud's cyclesguy View Post
    I too am pretty optimistic, as more and more people get vaccinated. Getting more vaccines from south of the border, has certainly helped. Things are looking good for fall.
    Let's hear it for Pfizer.

Ontario looks like it might be extending it's lockdown till June 2....Even though cases are in decline, we are still fairly high.... extending will also help control & reduce the virus cases as more people get vaccinated. Opening up too early last time, without the vaccines caused spikes and sent us back into lockdown.
    Quebec imposed some pretty tough measures, and they are doing better.

And since the vaccine rollout, seniors are not the primary ones who have been getting the virus.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...bution-canada/
    https://files.ontario.ca/moh-covid-1...2020-12-18.pdf

Seniors previously had topped the list for getting Covid 19 even during lockdown. Now after the vaccine rollout, those numbers have reduced significantly.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/publi...tics-1.5733069
    Let's hear it for Pfizer . I spent the last five years of my working career working for Pfizer. They are really good at mass producing a quality product quickly. Yes, in Ottawa the number of seniors getting a Covid infection has gone way down due to vaccination. I am scheduled to get my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine in mid July. There is hope that they may be able to move the date up by a couple of weeks. I will be ready to watch university sports!

Let's hear it for Pfizer . I spent the last five years of my working career working for Pfizer. They are really good at mass producing a quality product quickly. Yes, in Ottawa the number of seniors getting a Covid infection has gone way down due to vaccination. I am scheduled to get my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine in mid July. There is hope that they may be able to move the date up by a couple of weeks. I will be ready to watch university sports!
    Thanks for sharing and that is excellent news Ottawafan!
    I've had my first dose of Pfizer - second in August.
    University sports, and Football here we come!!!!