Thread: Queen's XC coach fired after criticising pedophile

Hybrid View

Default Queen's XC coach fired after criticising pedophile

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ty-of-guelphs/

“It took 13 years for Guelph to fire their coach for what he did, and it took two months for Queen’s to get rid of me for having an opinion about it,” Mr. Boyd said.

Ludicrous. Dal Cin will see a long, messy case coming outta this.
    Gaels & Rouge et Or Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveBreatheFootball View Post
    “It took 13 years for Guelph to fire their coach for what he did, and it took two months for Queen’s to get rid of me for having an opinion about it,” Mr. Boyd said.

Ludicrous.
    Wow, 21st century is really a fantastic period to live in...
    Rouge et Or all the way!

"A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall" - Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Sylven View Post
    Wow, 21st century is really a fantastic period to live in...
    I'd be careful about jumping to conclusions. There are allegations floating around about what the Queen's coach said about Guelph athletes and former athletes that, assuming they are true, would be relevant.
    Carleton: frightened by the Queen's Bands since 2014.

Few comments I'll make on this (which is tied to the other thread about Dave Scott-Thomas situation in Guelph):

- I have looked at the comments on the whole FB thread where the comments consisted mostly of Guelph alumni and the Queen's coach. He did make some comments that would be a) analogies employed with exaggeration, and b) still unsurprising. Why? The person in concern has been known for his outspoken views which included more progressive suggestions. They were sometimes cited in Queen's Journal, other times elsewhere on athletics-related magazines or competitions. That I'm not too familiar about, but from what I know, his outspokenness been known for at least a decade he's served as HC because he was hired around 2009 or 2010 as the head coach.

- So let's be honest here ladies and gentlemen - the timing's just off with the firing. You don't fire a big-time coach, who just landed you the first women's CIS-XC banner won in 3+ decades and has largely rejuvenated the program, and who is widely loved by the Gaels athletics (universal term for track and field) community...without something added on top or bottom.

It's either that the coach had preexisting problems with admin or unless you committed a crime. Queen's A&R, for long time, has had issues with more outspoken of coaches, including my late fencing coach (god bless his soul) who is no longer on this earth. Same situation here, only except that they couldn't fire a coach who was delivering them better and better results that landed you a natty, without any semblance of excuse!

Of course, they would wait for right timing as necessary on that and we've seen that at least once in past as well. He did stop posting about DST firing and whatnot upon a warning by the A&R around ten days ago...and was still fired anyway because now the excuse was around.

- Not only that, the manners in which the A&R executed it is simply not good enough in public view. First is well, how they addressed the media. No matter how many slanders people may give, Globe and Mail is still Globe and Mail, and to attempt minimal response in the fashion of what the Guelph A&R and the institution did is not going to fly in the same manner to Queen's. The institution has already seen enough embarrassments due to its unfortunate events the past 2-3 years. With the G&M article, people would read the article and automatically assume and be like 'so is Dal Cin and Scott seriously firing a coach who spoke out against DST and those who backed him (Moulton, Coolsaet, etc)'. That possibility they didn't consider seriously enough and it's not going to fly.

- I have received info from a team member (who I used to work with as A&R academic staff) the following: 'Leslie and Sean were the ones who broke the news to the team in an unprofessional and unsympathetic manner. The two called a meeting 3 hours prior to the suggested time, did not make captains aware of any details prior to this meeting, and failed to create a safe environment for student athletes to express their opinions'. Not so considerate given that it's 2-3 days before OUA championships. Apparently they didn't do that to the student-athletes themselves. Sorry but this isn't UofT....

- A longtime friend whose parents knew the coach has also said that Boyd was thinking about retirement though, which would make sense given the era he ran for Queen's way back when (early 1980s). So who knows, it may get quieter in subsequent months if they find suitable replacement...just like how they did with Coach Sheahan! I'm thinking about certain assistant at UBC who played a huge role with both Gaels and Physi-Kult team for long time, as well as the first-year assistant Weiler.

- Given the nature of the situation, it is expected that the A&R will receive lots of mails and petitions over next week or two. Already it has generated lots of noise and it's not looking pleasant. So whoever succeeds Boyd will have a lot on one's shoulders. Best of luck to the team, as they navigate through this PR nightmare of administration...

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGuy View Post
    I'd be careful about jumping to conclusions. There are allegations floating around about what the Queen's coach said about Guelph athletes and former athletes that, assuming they are true, would be relevant.
    Plenty of trails are actually available if you do a couple of rounds of searches on google. Trackie and Letsrun, two major forums for distance running in NA, have many extremely long threads about them.
    Last edited by LiveBreatheFootball; 2020-02-20 at 14:43.

Brogan MacDougall - USports X-Country 2018 Gold Medalist Transferring to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Her decision was triggered by the firing of Boyd.
    2019: 10 weeks, 17 games, 6,587kms.
    2018: 11 weeks, 17 games, 7,952kms. (preseason incl.)
    2017: 12 weeks, 21 games, 9,675kms. (preseason incl.)
    2016: 14 weeks, 18 games, 9,791kms. (preseason incl.)
    2015: 11 weeks, 16 games, 6,247kms.
    2009: 12 weeks, 19 games, 11,063kms.
    2008: 12 weeks, 19 games, 6,191kms.
    2007: 11 weeks, 18 games and 7,531kms.

A sad story for not only Queen's XC and Athletics teams, but also to the Canadian collegiate running community.

As a small-town school that traditionally recruits nationwide (across most sports), Queen's athletics hasn't had a lot of stars as of late, let alone superstars, from Kingston area. Of course, many local stars were all-Canadians across various sports here and there, but they took time to mature and usually came into all-Canadian mold around years 3 or 4. Graham twins (basketball) and Hutchinson (volleyball) come into my mind. Besides, superstars rarely if ever stay home and go to Queen's- this year alone's seen all 3 going into bigger waters, including a national basketball team member to Auriemma's UConn Huskies team.

MacDougall, being that phenom who were expected to (same goes to her elder sister), was a true outlier, with many exceptional records and whatnot back in Physi-Kult and Queen's. Of course MacDougall's situation was unique, especially given that her elder sister Branna came back to Queen's after a year in Iowa State and with her father as a well-known professor in the civil engineering department (I personally know few freshmen and upperclassmen who's taken courses with him in past).

But still, it generated a buzz that added red bull to the program that's really stepped up in notch since Boyd's arrival to the position a decade ago. It's a fitting storyline too, with an underrated program, that was underappreciated and coached by an advocate known for his dedication towards innovative teaching in the field for many years, was the one that's putting the school on contention year after year (sorry Rugby teams and men's volleyball, y'all are up there too). The past two nationals, hosted in none other than Fort Henry, was a smash success.

Unfortunately, not all things were meant to last forever...like a Yankees dynasty. Both the A&R and Queen's administration (latter more at fault as this was rumoured that Dal Cin was given little choice) took a particularly improper measure that was executed with even great fiasco, causing national embarrassment for reasons different than other events that placed the school on 'infamy' to the eyes of many (I personally disagree with the international students' pov towards the case that involved an undergraduate trustee- that's more on their inability to accept humour or even thick skin). But all of this could have rectified if they had made right measures. Quietly bringing Steve Boyd back would have been easier done in this day and age of coronavirus than before or after it. Of course, that didn't happen and the rest is history.

Tragic, tragic indeed.

A sad story for not only Queen's XC and Athletics teams, but also to the Canadian collegiate running community.

As a small-town school that traditionally recruits nationwide (across most sports), Queen's athletics hasn't had a lot of stars as of late, let alone superstars, from Kingston area. Of course, many local stars were all-Canadians across various sports here and there, but they took time to mature and usually came into all-Canadian mold around years 3 or 4. Graham twins (basketball) and Hutchinson (volleyball) come into my mind. Besides, superstars rarely if ever stay home and go to Queen's- this year alone's seen all 3 going into bigger waters, including a national basketball team member to Auriemma's UConn Huskies team.

MacDougall, being that phenom who were expected to (same goes to her elder sister), was a true outlier, with many exceptional records and whatnot back in Physi-Kult and Queen's. Of course MacDougall's situation was unique, especially given that her elder sister Branna came back to Queen's after a year in Iowa State and with her father as a well-known professor in the civil engineering department (I personally know few freshmen and upperclassmen who's taken courses with him in past).

But still, it generated a buzz that added red bull to the program that's really stepped up in notch since Boyd's arrival to the position a decade ago. It's a fitting storyline too, with an underrated program, that was underappreciated and coached by an advocate known for his dedication towards innovative teaching in the field for many years, was the one that's putting the school on contention year after year (sorry Rugby teams and men's volleyball, y'all are up there too). The past two nationals, hosted in none other than Fort Henry, was a smash success.

Unfortunately, not all things were meant to last forever...like a Yankees dynasty. Both the A&R and Queen's administration (latter more at fault as this was rumoured that Dal Cin was given little choice) took a particularly improper measure that was executed with even great fiasco, causing national embarrassment for reasons different than other events that placed the school on 'infamy' to the eyes of many (I personally disagree with the international students' pov towards the case that involved an undergraduate trustee- that's more on their inability to accept humour or even thick skin). But all of this could have rectified if they had made right measures. Quietly bringing Steve Boyd back would have been easier done in this day and age of coronavirus than before or after it. Of course, that didn't happen and the rest is history.

Tragic, tragic indeed.
    Tragic, but I wonder if it was also inevitable.

Tragic, but I wonder if it was also inevitable.
    Transfer? Unless Boyd was coming back, no doubt yes.

The Boyd situation? Not really. What would be inevitable is the Gaels XC dropping from a top-tier to lord knows how much. There are enough disadvantages selling Kingston and Queen's when you're not one of the more favoured teams, I'd say.

Transfer? Unless Boyd was coming back, no doubt yes.

The Boyd situation? Not really. What would be inevitable is the Gaels XC dropping from a top-tier to lord knows how much. There are enough disadvantages selling Kingston and Queen's when you're not one of the more favoured teams, I'd say.
    I mean the Coach Boyd termination. Irreconcilable positions/interests.

I mean the Coach Boyd termination. Irreconcilable positions/interests.
    Well, depends on how you look at it.

If this were pros, it would have made lot more senae. We may have past precedences like that of Jerry Krause and Phil Jackson with late 90s Bulls, or Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones in early 1990s. Jose Mourinho causing all sorts of pain back in his time with Real Madrid, Chelsea (second run) and Man United also a good one too.

I'd say it is slightly different in collegiate setting, especially as overcoming those tensions is a key in maintaining success without national embarrassment. I'd argue that it's even more important to have that at Queen's because it's Kingston and recruiting coaches (not so much the case with student-athletes) can be very difficult. So it requires people to have that if they want success deserving of a major school's athletics programs.

Both the AD and the HP director clearly didn't have that apparently and they are likely going to ruin what was a top-class XC program for about a decade. Mac's men's basketball was under huge pit for several years after firing of Raso (his son who was the team captain at the time, and their ace both transferred and Mac has yet to recover to its pre-firing days), in Hamilton of all cities, then there's no way for me to suggest otherwise with Kingston.
    Last edited by LiveBreatheFootball; 2020-04-24 at 02:23.