Thread: Canada West Recruiting

Hybrid View

Default Canada West Recruiting

Any confirmations or rumors floating around out there?

Here's what I have heard on the Huskies so far:

QB Trent Peterson - Lord Beaverbrook (Calgary)
    WR Braeden George - Lord Beaverbrook (Calgary)

I haven't heard anything about juniors or local high school talent committing.

How about other schools?

It seems that the Edmonton Huskie pipeline to the Dogs is up and running. Two good recruits comming out of the PFC in:

RB - Dathan Thomas - Edmonton Huskies
    OL - Kyle Sedgewick - Edmonton Huskies

Quote Originally Posted by 34Belly View Post
    It seems that the Edmonton Huskie pipeline to the Dogs is up and running. Two good recruits comming out of the PFC in:

Thanks for the info, 34Belly, and welcome to the board! These are great recruits - just the news I needed to hear.

Andrew Coad - Aberhart (Calgary) might be heading to U of S. I have heard that he talked to the coaches there and is also thinking of spending a year in junior first.

Sounds as though the Bears are having a solid recruiting year as well. FB John Smeysters the B.C. MVP is heading to Alberta. There should be a lot more to come as well.

Where did you hear about these U of S recruits?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Where did you hear about these U of S recruits?
    I heard about the two kids from Calgary at All Canada Gridiron. I'm not sure about 34Belly, although it sounds pretty credible to me - the Edmonton Huskies have supplied the U of S with many excellent recruits over the past few years (O'Gorman, Burrows, and Mike Hartley spring to mind).

No one can confirm anything until they show up at your camp, so we'll let you know the confirmations on May 4, when we can physically see which players are at the breakfast. (Even that's no guarantee they won't bail later aka. Ginther!)

Quote Originally Posted by dog View Post
    No one can confirm anything until they show up at your camp, so we'll let you know the confirmations on May 4, when we can physically see which players are at the breakfast. (Even that's no guarantee they won't bail later aka. Ginther!)
    Yeah, but rumors are better than not hearing anything at all. It's been pretty quiet this winter, so any news is good hews, even if it doesn't work out in the end, IMO.

so belly, where did you hear about these recruits?

saw today on tv that Rams signed Marc Mueller from Sheldon Williams. He led the spartans to the Provincial title this year, saw his stats on the press release and saw him play this year. the kids the real deal great recruit by the rams. hopefully they can get the other two sheldon players Soloman and Price . what do you people think.

I'm not sure who is playing football for the Huskies. But I know most of my bro's friends who played football at BJM this past year, including him are headed to the U of S. So I'm guessing at least one or two of them will try-out. No real blue chippers coming from that program, other than my little bro who isn't going to play football next year.

I heard about this through a coworker who has a son going to winter workouts with the Huskies. He had heard them talking about commiting to the Dogs with coaches and veterans.

Great Recruiting by the Rams. I'll just mention this one more time cause I've sort of over harped on it before. Any way they'll convince Mueller to Red Shirt for one year, bring in an older guy to back up Orban for 1 year. I'd love to see him start for the Rams for as long as possible. Red shirt for '07, back up in '08 then be ready to kick some butt for a full 4 years, instead of a measely 3. Obviously its tough to get such a hot commodity like Marc Mueller to red shirt, but MAYBE best for all involved.

Also heard Moore is a huge pick up. Nice to see. They seem to be picking up a lot of good Olinemen to, nice.

Antonini is going Junior apparently. That should leave the thunder with a bit of a surplus of good QBs. I don't know, this is all up to people knowing much much more inside info than myself, just thinking out loud.

I've seen nothing about Laurier this season, and very little over the past 3 seasons on there - I feel your pain man

I believe it's actually up to the prospects themselves to mail that info in if I'm not mistaken, so not so much the site as it is the players. Sure if it's announced at a press conference they might want to cover that, but I guess sometimes they don't
    Take me home, country roads

GO HAWKS GO!

Mark my words huskies fans...you guys are going to LOVE this kid Thomas..may not be a breakaway back like O'Gorman...but this guys runs HARD, and i gurantee he will take evry carry like it's the game winning TD.

Sedgewick is a good prospect as well but i think he is in the advanced stages of his degree and you won't keep him for long.

Do you think these two will step right in to fill vacant spots for the Huskies? Especially with O'Gorman's injury?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Do you think these two will step right in to fill vacant spots for the Huskies? Especially with O'Gorman's injury?
    It could be a possibility. O'Gorman wasn't the starter last year - he's Stevens' backup and is likely still second on the depth chart. Thomas, should he commit to the Huskies and have a good training camp, could end up as Stevens' backup, but Ben Coakwell will also be in the running for that spot. O'Gorman will probably be back by the beginning of the season anyway. I haven't heard anything about the status of Luke Derkson lately, but he could also be in the mix.

As far as Buydens' chances of making the national rugby team, he will be in tough, from what I have heard. These guys are the best in the country, so it's a tough roster to crack, but his size and athleticism could weigh in his favor. I guess we'll find out.

The rumor was the derkson got the boot during the year??

I get the feeling that Sedgewick will be the replacement for Sutherland while the Huskies develop people behind him. However Wallis could be ready to step up, he hasnt seen serious game time (IMHO) but has traveled with the team and should be ready, either way if Rempel gets drafted or Buydens makes the Rugby squad they will be looking for a more senior and experienced option on the o-line. Also on that note does anyone know where Buydens stands in respect to Rugby Canada?
    Never Quit

Whether Brennan Jarrett plays football is no matter - BT wanted one recruit at QB and got him in Peterson. The Dogs QB situation is set until 2013 - with not a lot of room for Jarrett - not that it matters as I understand he is playing straight basketball.

Talking

From a former habittee of southern Alberta I have to congratulate and applaud Nill. He is taking all the right steps to turn that Dino program into a legitimate contender. For years the Dinos looked down at southern Alberta football players in distain and IMHO didnt give them a fair shake at all. Now durring those years some very solid football players went to go play junior, play for another University or went to the rigs. Durring those years (90's into early 2000's) the Dino's program suffered and thank goodness they got Nill hes a smart man and we shouldnt be all that suprised when the Dino's start to contend

Mind you that will more than likely be years down the road, come on they're the dinos!
    Never Quit

Quote Originally Posted by Bear_44
    Mind you that will more than likely be years down the road, come on they're the dinos!
    I just posted that on my wall, thanks for the motivation.
    ________
    FJR1300
    Last edited by GoDinos; 2011-01-19 at 12:26.

I do what I can but I dont doubt they will compete sooner rather than later
    Never Quit