QB Creighton quits Huskies after being benched

By MONTY MOSHER Sports Reporter
Tue, Sep 21 - 1:42 PM

A week after losing his job as the starting quarterback of the Saint Mary's Huskies, former Loney Bowl most valuable player Jack Creighton has quit the team.

After throwing three inteceptions in a season-opening loss at Acadia, Creighton was the backup to U.S. transfer Micah Brown for Saturday's 45-7 loss to the Laval Rouge et Or at Huskies Stadium.

It is a major disappointment for the Huskies, who recruited the prized high school prospect out of Port Colburne, Ont. He stepped in as the starter midway through the 2008 season, earning MVP in the conference title game, and helped the Huskies to another conference win in 2009.

The 21-year-old Creighton will complete his semester at Saint Mary's and will look to transfer after Christmas.

"It's tough leaving a team," Creighton said Tuesday, only hours after revealing his decision to head coach Steve Sumarah.

"I've played with these guys for the last two years and they are like brothers. But it hasn't been fun since the end of last season."

Creighton said he was still trying to absorb his own decision. He first approached Sumarah Monday night to discuss leaving the team and Sumarah asked him to take the night to think about it.

"I don't know what I want to do or where I'm going to go," said the son of former NHL player Adam Creighton.

"This is really a tough decision for me. I'm going to take a little break and see where it takes me."

Brown, a 24-year-old scrambler with a good arm, showed flashes in the Laval game and ran for 77 yards. His passing stats might have been better if his receivers had done a better job catching the ball.

He'll be the No. 1 pivot the rest of the way with Mack Blewett, who's been playing as a receiver, the lone backup on the roster.

Sumarah said Creighton was "completely distraught" when he came to discuss his future with the team.

"It's disappointing, I'd say that wholeheartedly," said Sumarah, who made the decision to bench Creighton shortly after the Acadia loss.

"I felt in Jack's time here he's been under a lot of pressure. I thought this way he could kind of kick back and watch and enjoy the game. I felt he wasn't having fun and I think he'd be the first to say he wasn't having any fun."

Having only two quarterbacks available after two games isn't ideal, Sumarah said.

"Micah proved he's got skills and Mack plays a similar style," he said. "So we'll run with what we've got."

The Huskies, 0-2 for the first time since 2006, visit the Mount Allison Mounties in a neutral-site game on Saturday in Moncton.

([email protected])

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9017967.html