Thread: 2020-21 Manitoba Bisons/CW Thread

Threaded View

Default Sept 23: Manitoba Hockey Is Going!

It has been a month since my last report so here is a hodge-podge of stories, announcements, and potentially news of significance as it pertains to the return of CW hockey. The recruiting news has slowed to a trickle, which makes sense because school has now started.

Normally everybody would have exhibition schedules in progress and rosters for us to comment upon. No such luck this year. Several teams are not bothering to update their websites with official announcements on recruits. I saw no new LOIs registered for men's hockey since my last report.

The only CW news, and it is a downer, is that the CW golf championship has been cancelled. It was slated for UBC Okanagan and British California is not allowing disease-infested easterners (out there, this includes the prairies) into the province.

Links:
    ➤ CW: Conference golf championships cancelled due to travel restrictions

There are no official, nor unofficial, announcements from the UofM on hockey. However, there are a host of stories on the football team, who are practising hard despite cancellation of their season. If football can practice, hockey can go!

I have also posted a story on former Bison coach Barry Trotz, which is worth a look. Maybe one day I'll run a fresh story on former CW coaches who have made it to the NHL.

Finally, the best news I have heard in a while is that the MJHL has started their exhibition season! Here's the highlights of the announcement:

Divisions

Northwest (Dauphin, OCN, Swan Valley, Wayway)

Interior (Neepawa, Portage, Virden, Winkler)

Southeast (Selkirk, Steinbach, Winnipeg Blues, Winnipeg Freeze)

Schedule Format

Each team will play the other three teams within their division eight times during the regular season (Four Home/Four Away).

Each team will play the eight teams outside of their division twice during the season.

Each team will play a 40-game regular season schedule which has been significantly reduced from the standard 60 game regular season schedule (20 Home/Twenty Away).

Each team will play two games a week and will only face one team each week.

Each team will play all of their games almost exclusively during the weekend this season (Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday).

Games scheduled within a teams own division are almost exclusively arranged in four game, two week blocks.

Playoff Format to be announced in the coming weeks.
    Links:
    ➤ Pique: University football teams navigate pandemic hurdles to get back on the field
    ➤ Free Press: Bisons take to the gridiron
    ➤ CBC: U Sports football navigates pandemic hurdles to get on field despite fall cancellations
    ➤ Global: ‘Our players are loving it’: No games is no problem for Manitoba Bisons football team
    ➤ Winnipeg Sun: Honesty has guided Manitoba's Trotz from Day 1
    ➤ MJHL: MJHL announces 2020-21 Regular Season schedule
    ➤ MJHL: Schedule

The Bluegars are raising funds, and seem to be getting ready for January. Remember they did post their recruiting class.

Links:
    ➤ Calgary Sun: Dinos, Cougars remain committed to readying teams for January restart
    ➤ MRU: Cougars cohort ready to pounce

In the Town of Bedrock, their recruiting class was previously announced. I found a podcast featuring Matt Alfaro, and an old photo in Cooperalls.

Links:
    ➤ WHL: WHL Alumni Interview: Matt Alfaro, University of Calgary Dinos
    ➤ Spotify: WHL Podcast: Episode 4

I had previously posted details on MacEwan's recruits, but they have now issued official releases, available at the links. There are three new recruits, all of whom are transfers:

- Riley Brandt (F) from RMC (OUA) via Vernon (BCJHL)
    - Cameron Trott (D) from Lethbridge Pronghorns (CW) via Vernon (BCJHL) and UAA (NCAA)
    - Ethan Price (RW) from Stony Plain (ACHW, red shirt) via Brock (OUA)

Brandt has only played two games in the last two seasons but in 2017-18 scored 21-12-33 in 28 OUA games. They must be happy with three former USports players in the recruiting class. Price also has a WHL background and Trott played a half-season in the NCAA.

Links:
    ➤ Elite Prospects: Riley Brandt
    ➤ Elite Prospects: Cameron Trott
    ➤ Elite Prospects: Ethan Price
    ➤ MacEwan: Griffins add valuable U SPORTS experience to lineup with Price, Brandt and Trott
    ➤ MacEwan: Trio of ACAC stars join Griffins as they level up to the Canada West ranks
    ➤ MacEwan: Pair of new goalies bring welcome competition to Griffins' crease in post-Daigle era

There is no news about the Evil Monkeys at all. But if you want to help them purchase more bananas, they have a fundraising link.

Links:
    ➤ UofA: Support the Sport

The Banjo-Cats announced their recruits last time. All I found this time was a YouTube video.

Links:
    ➤ YouTube: University of Regina Athletics - 2020 Summer Update

The Banjo-Mutts have had no announcements, no LOIs, and nothing on Elite Prospects. But there have been Tweets about recruits. So I used those to do Elite Prospects searches and WOOF! A litter of puppies.

- Parker Gavlas (D) from Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
    - Jaxan Kaluski (LW) from Swift Current Broncos (WHL)
    - Ty Prefontaine (D) from Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL)
    - Jared Dmytriw (RW) from Vancouver Giuants (WHL)
    - Jeff Faith (D) from Kamloops Blazers (WHL)
    - Declan Hobbs (G) from Loreburn 19ers (SVHL)
    - Dawson Holt (RW/C) from Regina Pats (WHL) & Vernon Vipers (BCJHL)

Also, their arena may be used as a field hospital, in which case they would play at the SaskTel Centre.

Links:
    ➤ Elite Prospects: Parker Gavlas
    ➤ Elite Prospects: Jaxan Kaluski
    ➤ Elite Prospects: Ty Prefontaine
    ➤ Elite Prospects: Jared Dmytriw
    ➤ Elite Prospects: Jeff Faith
    ➤ Elite Prospects: Declan Hobbs
    ➤ Elite Prospects: Dawson Holt
    ➤ Global: 4 hockey teams move after Saskatoon rink turned into coronavirus field hospital

The T-irds have three stories about alumni. Jerret Smith is going to finish his few remaining credits on-line while playing in France. Adam Maglio is a head coach in the Dub. Ray Sakaki was on their 1971 team that earned a berth at the nationals.

Links:
    ➤ UBC: Jerret Smith begins pro career in France
    ➤ UBC: Former Thunderbird Adam Maglio named Spokane head coach
    ➤ UBC: Thunderbird Alumni Profile: Roy Sakaki

On the college front, it appears that they are following the lead of the CW and waiting for January. If BC holds off on allowing inter-provincial play, perhaps the T-irds and Holy Trinity will join the BCIHL! It is nice that ACAC players won't lose a year of eligibility.

Links:
    ➤ ACAC: ACAC Announces Plans for 2020-21 Season
    ➤ ACAC: ACAC Suspends Consumption of All Student-Athlete Eligibility During 2020-21 Season
    ➤ BCIHL: BCIHL delays start of 2020-21 season until January 15
    Last edited by Hollywood; 2020-09-22 at 21:10.
    YOU DESERVE TO SEE CANADA'S BEST!
    CLICK HERE FOR THE 2019 OHT27!.