Quote Originally Posted by peter.gryphon View Post
One of the best articles I've read about the dynamics of the spread of Covid-19. It has significant implications for public health policy and helps to explain why some countries with less restrictive policies (Japan, South Korea, Taiwan) have had excellent results controlling the spread. Warning: there are several comparisons to influenza.

- 80% of spread comes from 20% of infected people (i.e. super spreaders).
- 80% of infected people infect zero or only 1 other person.
- tracking and tracing the people who were in contact with every person who has tested positive, and asking them all to test/isolate/quarantine is highly ineffective and a waste of resources.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. A few comments:
- Famous Pareto's Law at work.
- Everybody who lives in Québec has heard of the infamous karaoke party in a Québec City bar that started the second wave in the National Capital region. Best example I can think of a super-spreading or overdispersion event.
- As mentioned several times in the article, super-spreading or overdispersion is almost impossible outdoors. It always happens in poorly ventilated and overcrowded indoor spaces. So why the hell does the Québec government, and several others I'm sure, has the same sanitary measures for indoor and outdoor acitivities (all forbidden unless individual or same family in red zones) save wearing the mask?