Thread: Covid-19, non-football discussions

Threaded View

Another great piece from AIER

A Primer for the Media on Viruses, Vaccines, and Covid-19

As if a switch had been thrown, the light went out on responsible journalism EVERYWHERE! Power has not yet been restored.

I came upon an article recently on Yahoo from Zacks that caught my attention . The opening sentence really got me going and I quote it now (emphasis added):

Biotech firms and drugmakers across the globe are pumping in millions of dollars to develop a vaccine to wipe out the deadly coronavirus, with many already ramping up production of their vaccine candidates if one gets an approval.

With this one sentence and a simple phrase in it, the hammer was hit right on the head of irresponsible and misinformed journalism. Normal journalism would have written simply “…a vaccine for coronavirus…”; but hyperbole won out.

There are two aspects to that phrase that are worth examining, i.e. the idea of a vaccine wiping out a virus and the concept of a deadly virus. I have heard the term “wiping out” before (Nancy Pelosi?). But, I want to first deal with the deadly virus hyperbole and get to the vaccine part later.

How “deadly” is coronavirus? NOT VERY and that is based on data, medical reports, and general knowledge of URI....

During this pandemic, the vast majority of deaths have occurred in elderly people with serious health issues. These people would experience the same result if they had acquired influenza. As a matter of fact, it is quite likely that they would have the same result if the virus was rhinovirus. They would likely have the same result if they had bronchitis, sinusitis, pancreatitis, gastritis, bladder infection, etc. Their system simply was not able to fight the disease. Period.

To the vast majority of people who have experienced this disease, it is not even close to “deadly.”

“A Vaccine to wipe out the deadly coronavirus”

Well, the coronavirus is not deadly. But, what about the “vaccine” part of the statement?

No vaccine “wipes” out a virus. Vaccines are not cures. Vaccines are not preventatives. Vaccines do not seek out and destroy. As an example, we have had vaccines for influenza for decades (since the 1940s) and each year influenza exacts a toll on humans, including sometimes those who have been vaccinated. Influenza is not even close to being “wiped out.” We manage it at best.
    Another crazy research scientist I guess.
    Last edited by Green Husky Fan; 2020-09-30 at 08:49.