Thread: Football and Covid-19

Threaded View

Well, I'm going to be straightforward. I know some of those out here in this forums may use the examples of South Korea or Taiwan as best examples of to why we should open up for most part (none of the US states count as ones to be modelled upon, don't be silly).

Guess I, especially as someone who has been contacting his family back there for past three months due to coronavirus, don't have to remind people enough times about the irrationality of comparing Canadian responses to that of the world leaders in the matter, most notably Taiwan and South Korea, because of specific circumstances behind why both were prepared.

First, South Korea got off very lucky (for most part) because of a couple of progresses that happened over time and past experience with a contagion. Sure, its public healthcare system was introduced first in 1970s (limited extent) and 1990s (expansion), and they do reasonably well with two-track healthcare system there. But its ability to handle the crisis came from two particular events: MERS crisis that struck RoK (but escaped Canada mostly) in 2015, and the successful impeachment of a President who was practically controlled by a 21st-century Rasputin named Choi Soon-Sil. The subsequent government, led by Moon Jae-In, and the public health authorities have learned from the past failures of Park Geun-Hye administration and have prepared adequately for possible scenarios.

They did fine for most part. One major outbreak, responsible for most of the problems caused by coronavirus in Korea, was due to a heretic cult that held an AGM and then spread it across the region, and the more recent one, a minor one, happened because the nightclubs were somehow left open and of course, the nightclubs didn't enforce them properly. Still, the situation's mostly contained in RoK because they've been burned once already, which is not something that we really had in Canada or the US even, unless we go back by many decades.

Taiwan's also a special case. I am not as well read on them, but in their case it was lot more simple and straightforward given Chinese-Taiwanese relations and the nation's decades-long preparation for any possible scenarios of invasion involving the Chinese. This is combined with the semi-authoritarian nature of Taiwan until 80s and to some 90s, and peaceful transition partly ensured that much of the remnants were to remain. So, no matter what, they were ready to enforce it as needed and in this case, worked out in their favour.

So please, don't use South Korea or Taiwan as a case to compare. Both have been ready to deal with such problems due to past history and many other reasons.

I will stay out of other reasons, but let's just say that infrastructure (to enforce proper medical and distancing measures) and centralised political system also play a role in it as well. Both play a big role, especially when proper leadership is in place, and that's what allowed both countries to deal with it relatively well on the worst possible environments (countries of urban clusters). I'm not going to comment on latter, but at least in terms of former, it is not something that those of us in North America, I'm afraid, have atm. That's why we are asked to stay home and enforce it on our own, instead of being able to watch a close-door game of Toronto Raptors or Vancouver Canucks.

But then, many out in the West, especially North America the past couple of months, would just say 'MUH HUMAN RIGHTS' and all that even if we do. Think about that for a bit....

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
    -Snip-
    I think Gilligan described the situation well. Bravo.
    Last edited by LiveBreatheFootball; 2020-05-14 at 17:23.
    Gaels & Rouge et Or Baby!