Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Major Award Winners

Hybrid View

Default Major Award Winners

It's that time of Year again.
    List your 4 conference Hec Nominees
    OUA / AUS / Can West / Quebec

There's no Off. player in the Q who is really worth an HEC nomination. And since Def players aren't likely to win it. We'll skip a year. I suppose if we're forced to name someone, it would Vance from Con-U. Decent stats but wins just aren't there.
    Train ride to a home game..$80, season tickets $198. Beer and hotdogs at the game $20, Championship Cap and player's jersey,$100.
    Trip to Vanier Cup 2012,$500. Trip to 2013 Vanier Cup and having a cool lunch with Jim Mullin the next day, $200.
    Being a fan of the only team with 4 consecutive years in the Championship Game, 3 Vanier Cups in front of THEM , 9 Vanier Cups ahead of UdeMontreal...PRICELESS

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledFan View Post
    There's no Off. player in the Q who is really worth an HEC nomination. And since Def players aren't likely to win it. We'll skip a year. I suppose if we're forced to name someone, it would Vance from Con-U. Decent stats but wins just aren't there.
    I guess when it will be official for the Q, we'll all say « Ah.. OK.. he played well », but we'll all think « No way he's gonna win the trophy ».
    Laval Rouge & OR - The Greatest CIS/SportsU team the Earth has ever seen !™ 1999 - 2003 - 2004 - 2006 - 2008 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2016 - 2018 - 202_ and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Bizz View Post
    I guess when it will be official for the Q, we'll all say « Ah.. OK.. he played well », but we'll all think « No way he's gonna win the trophy ».
    Vance does seem like a long shot with Concordia's record this season. Had he played for Montreal or Laval it could have been a different story (who knows what his stats would have been like then).

Ford from Ontario

Adam Machart from the green dawgs!

As long as Betts wins the Metras

Oh wait...
    Laval Rouge et Or

The Rouge et Or are a special program. By far the strongest in the nation and likely the greatest program ever. - Duane Rollins, Sept 2nd 2008

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Quote Originally Posted by endgame View Post
    It's that time of Year again.
    List your 4 conference Hec Nominees
    OUA / AUS / Can West / Quebec
    Tough this year, lot of close candidates - more parity in the CIS - so kudos to all the players

CW - lots of good players, but most likely won't be up for the HEC

Sinagra being injured this year probably will hurt his chances, he's a great player, well respected.
    Brad Launhardt is doing quite well - although Alberta hasn't won so many games. Brad contributes a lot to the team
    Saskabush Mason Nyhus is doing well, but most likely won't be up for HEC
    A Machart Saskatchewan leading the pack in the CIS with 1330 rushing yards, contributed lots to the team, he's a contender for the HEC, will see what happens.

OUA
    While they have won all of their games, Merchant has been ok, not outstanding considering the crew he has to support him, OL, Receivers, RB, and great defence. Western always recruits well. And they are beatable this year.
    https://westernmustangs.ca/roster.as...&sort=position
    http://oua.ca/sports/fball/2017-18/p...ew=&pos=qb&r=0 Even in 2017, Western's ground game is what stood out. Nate Hobbs was able to achieve more with a much weaker o line that year. He probably didn't receive the credit he deserved.
    Dueck has been playing very well - huge improvement over last year. He's brought the team together, and they are doing much better over all on offence and Def - A little more passing would help, and another year will certainly help Dueck, both in passing, and winning more games. If he doesn't make it this year, look for him to be a major contender next year.
    Clay Sequiera has been exceptional with little to work with on O Line, or Def - came close in a lot of games against strong teams, leads the CIS in passing, and TD's. and for a while Offence.
    Tre Ford has been good, had a very weak game against us at Mac & moderate game against York. That said, Waterloo has been blessed with an exceptionally strong O line, receivers, ground game to support him, and win games - Unfortunately the team lacks Def- Put Laval's, Mac's, Western's D on this team, and they would be leading the OUA, most likely the CIS. They have been recruiting very well on Offence.

--------

AUS
    H Guenard from Acadia is having a good year. - won all but one game against Mt. A. His test will come playing outside the AUS, but don't think he'll win the HEC

RSEQ
    Vance from Concordia is doing well - most likely won't win a HEC
    Neither Montreal or Laval QB's will win anything this year, but this is where Laval's D comes into play, and Laval could take it all this year.....and win the Vanier.
    That said, the D players are most likely not going to be up for a HEC award

It is a very close year, a lot more parity than I've seen in a while,
    Last edited by Spud's cyclesguy; 2019-11-01 at 20:01.
    Everything goes in cycles!

Spuds, I will be shocked if Machart is not the CW nominee, way ahead of those 3 QBs that you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Husky Fan View Post
    Spuds, I will be shocked if Machart is not the CW nominee, way ahead of those 3 QBs that you mention.
    He's only looking at QBs there....ignoring Machart a huge mistake for sure.
    Gaels & Rouge et Or Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveBreatheFootball View Post
    He's only looking at QBs there....ignoring Machart a huge mistake for sure.
    Good point and Yes, he certainly leads the pack and I will add him to the list, but I will say the prize will most likely go to a QB
    Since 2001, it has mostly gone to a QB, with the exception of RB Ilnicki in 2017, Daryl Stephenson RB 2006, Fantuz rec 2005, and Jesse Lumsden 2004

1995[1] Don Blair Rec Calgary Dinos
    1996[1] Éric Lapointe RB Mount Allison Mounties
    1997[1] Mark Nohra RB UBC Thunderbirds
    1998[1] Éric Lapointe RB Mount Allison Mounties
    1999[1] Phil Côté QB Ottawa Gee-Gees
    2000[1] Kojo Aidoo RB McMaster Marauders
    2001[1] Ben Chapdelaine QB McMaster Marauders
    2002[1] Tommy Denison QB Queen's Golden Gaels
    2003[1] Tommy Denison QB Queen's Golden Gaels
    2004[1] Jesse Lumsden RB McMaster Marauders
    2005[1] Andy Fantuz Rec Western Ontario Mustangs
    2006[1] Daryl Stephenson RB Windsor Lancers
    2007[1] Erik Glavic QB Saint Mary's Huskies
    2008[1] Benoit Groulx QB Laval Rouge et Or
    2009[1] Erik Glavic QB Calgary Dinos
    2010[1] Brad Sinopoli QB Ottawa Gee-Gees
    2011[1] Billy Greene QB UBC Thunderbirds
    2012[1] Kyle Quinlan QB McMaster Marauders
    2013[1] Jordan Heather QB Bishop's Gaiters
    2014[1] Andrew Buckley QB Calgary Dinos
    2015[1] Andrew Buckley QB Calgary Dinos
    2016[1] Noah Picton QB Regina Rams
    2017[1] Ed Ilnicki RB Alberta Golden Bears
    2018[1] Adam Sinagra QB Calgary Dinos

Burlington’s Jesse Lumsden will be inducted in the McMaster University Athletics Hall of Fame.

The Marauders’ running back broke three national records — 1,816 rushing yards and 21 touchdowns in a season, and 43 career rushing touchdowns — in 2004 on his way to winning the Hec Creighton Award as the best university football player in Canada. He averaged 227 yards per game and 10.2 yards per carry that season.
    Lumsden racked up 4,138 career rushing yards in four seasons, 1,498 more than any other Marauder despite forgoing his final year of eligibility to turn pro.

University of Alberta running back Ed Ilnicki won the Hec Crighton Trophy as the top player in Canadian varsity football on Thursday as U Sports announced its year-end awards. Ilnicki, a five-foot-10, 220-pound running back from Spruce Grove, Alta., set a single-season Canada West record with 1,468 rushing yards.leading the 3-5 Golden Bears back to the Canada West playoffs for the first time since 2010. Ilnicki also added 151 receiving yards in 2017, breaking a 42-year old program record for single-season all-purpose yards with 1,619.

University of Windsor running back Daryl Stephenson entered the Canadian Interuniversity Sport football record book - The six-foot-two junior started his university career with an 1,192-rushing yard campaign in 2004, setting a CIS single-season record for a rookie. He followed up in his sophomore year by claiming his first CIS rushing crown with a 1,306-yard tally. - Tough to do at Windsor - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor_Lancers They weren't exactly leading the pack in scores and wins that year, or many others so he had his work cut out for him.

1 A Machart Saskatchewan 8 156 1330 166.3 8.5 8 77

Quote Originally Posted by Spud's cyclesguy View Post
    -Snip-
    I wasn't referring to the entire CIS. It was only for CW.

Even then the QBs in CW have either stayed out for way too many games (e.g. Sinagra) or were not impressive enough (Nyhus). Therefore my opinion still stands and works.
    Gaels & Rouge et Or Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Husky Fan View Post
    See my response to LBF and my edited list.

You'd think from the list that defensive players have never even considered, outside of a FS from Acadia in 1974.
    Drawing on your fine command of the English language, you should say nothing. - My Mom

OUA
    Top 3 players in the OUA should be Clay Sequiera, Andreas Dueck and Tre Ford.
    After this weekend, I would knock out Merchant from the list of Hec Crighton nominees. I also think that if Western advances and plays outside the province both Quebec and CW - would beat them. They're not the team from 2017, or 2018.
    Not sure how Mac would do. Laval's D is a powerhouse this year, even if their Off is not. CW looks to be lighting things up.

I had a strong feeling we would beat Guelph, So Kudos to our Def as well as our Off. We held Guelph to a total of 227 yards offence. Guelph's Def is strong, but beyond that...With having the 3rd strongest Def in the CIS, Guelph struggles on Off to put the necessary points on the board to win.
    Queen's nearly beat them - U of T was close. I did not feel it was a good sign for Guelph to be this close, considering U of T had no OL nor Def, and Queen's was also struggling in areas - working on developing - finding their starting QB. and didn't have the strongest Def
    Dueck did a very good job.

https://presto-en.usports.ca/sports/...pp&r=0&pos=def
    Western barely squeaked out a win today and Merchant really struggled against one of the weakest defences in the CIS - Waterloo is sitting at 25th on D https://presto-en.usports.ca/sports/...pp&r=0&pos=def
    Western's offence produced more on the ground with 245 yards rushing than they did at passing - 211 yards
    What would Merchant do on a team like Toronto, York, Carleton? If he can't lead the CIS in passing with the talent he has on his team, he'd really struggle to do anything on those teams. Even in 2017, with the team absolutely stacked with talent, He came 7th.
    http://www.oua.ca/sports/fball/2017-...ew=&pos=qb&r=0
    Tre, Clay and Andreas would have a field day if they played for Western with all the talent there. Great recruiting at Western regarding King's college and coaches are good. Will have a better idea next year, how the loss of their coaches to other teams this year impacted them.

I feel we have a good chance of beating Western judging by what I saw today. Beyond that....who knows. If we do, Dueck should get some serious recognition. He's come a long way from last year.

https://presto-en.usports.ca/sports/...pp&r=0&pos=def

CW,
    Sinagra had a good game - probably a little too close for his liking - but a win - and they need this to advance. https://presto-en.usports.ca/sports/...91102_am3q.xml
    Adam Sinagra 23-36 285 47 4 1

Sask's Machart is having a good game and exceptional year, best RB in the CIS, so I feel he should be up for an award in CW like LBF and Green Husky Fan suggest, certainly he should be considered for the HEC C - very valuable to the team.
    Rushing
    Adam Machart 23 160 7.0 30 1
    Receiving
    20 Adam Machart 42 yards receiving + 160 yards rushing, hopefully he wins MVP of game
    Hardy Cup there they come

Out East

AUS
    Bishops leading Mt. A 28 - 18 - 4th Q - Go Bish go! C Aubry having a decent game and Bish had a very solid ground game.
    Their D held Mt A to 196 yards .
    They likely won't get past Acadia, but it might be a bit closer than they would like. If they were to win, look for heads to spin......
    Bishops - Most improved team in the AUS this year - good to see them improve.

RSEQ
    Laval of course seals it vs Con U. 40 - 8 with 575 yards of offence
    311 yards passing for Bolduc - Laval rushing 274
    Montreal 39 - 6 over McGill
    Laval has the strongest Def - I predict a Laval win btwn these two teams. Considering Laval doesn't have the strength on off they've had previously, their D is doing an exceptionally great job and no reason to believe they will fold as they playoffs progress.
    Last edited by Spud's cyclesguy; 2019-11-02 at 17:38.

OUARSEQ

Laval has the strongest Def - I predict a Laval win btwn these two teams. Considering Laval doesn't have the strength on off they've had previously, their D is doing an exceptionally great job and no reason to believe they will fold as they playoffs progress.
    This again I'll take a page out of your Playbook
    2019 Laval Off
    2019 off stats.jpg
    92% Convert on 3rd down 11/12

2018 Laval Off
    2018 off stats.jpg
    33% 3rd down convert 3/9

2017 Laval Off
    2017 off stats.jpg
    45% 3rd Down convert 5/11

It's not a question of less firepower so much as a question of Weapons of choice.
    Laval under Hugo Richard was like an army that relies on Artillery to inflict most of its damages.
    The Post-Hugo Laval army just went back to the Main Battle Tanks with a few opportunistic Air Raids thrown in .
    Train ride to a home game..$80, season tickets $198. Beer and hotdogs at the game $20, Championship Cap and player's jersey,$100.
    Trip to Vanier Cup 2012,$500. Trip to 2013 Vanier Cup and having a cool lunch with Jim Mullin the next day, $200.
    Being a fan of the only team with 4 consecutive years in the Championship Game, 3 Vanier Cups in front of THEM , 9 Vanier Cups ahead of UdeMontreal...PRICELESS

I had a strong feeling we would beat Guelph, So Kudos to our Def as well as our Off. We held Guelph to a total of 227 yards offence. Guelph's Def is strong, but beyond that...With having the 3rd strongest Def in the CIS, Guelph struggles on Off to put the necessary points on the board to win.
    Queen's nearly beat them - U of T was close. I did not feel it was a good sign for Guelph to be this close, considering U of T had no OL nor Def, and Queen's was also struggling in areas - working on developing - finding their starting QB. and didn't have the strongest Def
    Dueck did a very good job.
    "Dueck did a very good job."

Okay, that is not unreasonable. His 55-yd TD run was the most important play of the game. But his passing effort was definitely underwhelming - 17 of 32 (53%) for 216 yards, 1 TD. That doesn't come close to what PurpleReign was predicting. I wouldn't be surprised if those were Dueck's poorest passing numbers of the season. As you said, Guelph has a strong defense. I imagine Dueck will have a better day against Western in the Yates.
    An unofficial source for news & opinions about the University of Guelph football program
    http://gryphonfootball.wordpress.com/

"Top 3 players in the OUA should be Clay Sequiera, Andreas Dueck and Tre Ford " seems kind of obvious if you base it on the season they had.
    Not to take anything away from Merchant but Sequiera and Dueck numbers were not just OUA good but best in U Sport - Country good.
    If they are not voting on the current season then what is the point?
    Also in Clay S his TD's numbers were better than Hall of Fame Dan Feraday, winner of Hec and NFL drafted Qb.
    So if 2618 yds / 327.8 yds / game 24 Td's are enough to win then what are the magical numbers he needed to attain then?
    If it about wins and losses as a team he has not impact on the teams defense or special teams so I never get that argument?
    Last edited by endgame; 2019-11-03 at 19:01.

Not that it's a requirement to be the conference nominee but as the two often go hand in hand.....neither Dueck or Sequiera were conference allstars at the pivot position....with Merchant and Ford taking first and second team honours respectively.
    2019: 10 weeks, 17 games, 6,587kms.
    2018: 11 weeks, 17 games, 7,952kms. (preseason incl.)
    2017: 12 weeks, 21 games, 9,675kms. (preseason incl.)
    2016: 14 weeks, 18 games, 9,791kms. (preseason incl.)
    2015: 11 weeks, 16 games, 6,247kms.
    2009: 12 weeks, 19 games, 11,063kms.
    2008: 12 weeks, 19 games, 6,191kms.
    2007: 11 weeks, 18 games and 7,531kms.

Quote Originally Posted by chappy View Post
    Not that it's a requirement to be the conference nominee but as the two often go hand in hand.....neither Dueck or Sequiera were conference allstars at the pivot position....with Merchant and Ford taking first and second team honours respectively.
    So being from out west can someone explain to me how these two were picked as 1st and 2nd team because it does not seem to based on this years performance?
    Curious what is the criteria ?
    As stated earlier the both Clay S and Dueck put up national numbers not just OUA stats

Quote Originally Posted by endgame View Post
    So being from out west can someone explain to me how these two were picked as 1st and 2nd team because it does not seem to based on this years performance?
    Curious what is the criteria ?
    As stated earlier the both Clay S and Dueck put up national numbers not just OUA stats

I don't disagree (as I attend so many games I don't get to see some of the stats/rankings they show on the broadcast)...quite frankly just how high Dueck was ranked in the country in passing categories caught me by surprise despite seeing Mac play Ottawa, Western, Carleton, and Waterloo live (perhaps not his best #'s in 3 of those games).

I'm surprised to see Merchant up there as the first teamer, not to mention Western got 4/5 1st team O-line selections. Perhaps I unfairly hold them to a higher standard of teams of the past 3 seasons but this team wasn't as explosive or productive....that said Merchant had a lot more on his shoulders this year.

(Just checked the OUA stats - 2nd in completion percentage, 3rd in passing yards, 1st in yards / attempt, tied for 3rd in TD's, 1st in efficiency rating) - so maybe less surprised now.
    Last edited by chappy; 2019-11-07 at 09:06. Reason: actually looked up Merchant's stats after he won the OUA MVP

Yep, saw the list came out.

The complete list of 2019 OUA first and second team all-stars is:

2019 First Team All-Stars
    Offence
    QB – Chris Merchant, Western
    RB – Levondre Gordon, Laurier
    RB – Dion Pellerin, Waterloo
    REC – Tyler Ternowski, Waterloo
    REC – Brett Ellerman, Western
    REC – Will Corby, Toronto
    REC – Phil Iloki, Carleton
    C – Elliot Beamer, Western
    T – Zack Fry, Western
    T – Dylan Giffen, Western
    G – Coulter Woodmansey, Guelph
    G – Spencer Hood, Western

Defence
    DT – Cameron Lawson, Queen's
    DT – Sam Acheampong, Laurier
    DE – Réshaan Davis, Ottawa
    DE – Malcolm Campbell, Toronto
    LB – Jack Cassar, Carleton
    LB – Tommy Bringi, Laurier
    SAM – Trevor Hoyte, Carleton
    FS – Jacob Janke, York
    HB – Noah Hallett, McMaster
    HB – Cody Cranston, Ottawa
    CB – Bleska Kambamba, Western
    CB – Tyrell Ford, Waterloo
    Special Teams
    P – Marc Liegghio, Western
    K – Marc Liegghio, Western
    RET – Clark Barnes, Guelph
    RUSH – Rashad Spooner, Ottawa

2019 Second Team All-Stars
    Offence
    QB – Tre Ford, Waterloo
    RB – Trey Humes, Western
    RB – Rasheed Tucker, Queen's
    REC – Nolan Lovegrove, Toronto
    REC – Tommy Nield, McMaster
    REC – Brentyn Hall, Laurier
    REC – Gordon Lam, Waterloo
    C – JD Richardson, Laurier
    T – Spencer Andrews, Waterloo
    T – Max Guy, McMaster
    G – Jakub Szott, McMaster
    G – Drew Mairleitner, Laurier

Defence
    DT – Alain Cimankinda, Guelph
    DT – Trevaughan James, Laurier
    DE – Tavius Robinson, Guelph
    DE – Anthony Federico, Queen's
    LB – Job Reinhart, Guelph
    LB – Kyle Rodger, Ottawa
    SAM – Eric Blake, McMaster
    FS – Luke Griese, Ottawa
    HB – Dotun Aketepe, Guelph
    HB – Malcolm Thompson, Laurier
    CB – Nolan Putt, McMaster
    CB – Ayo Ajayi, Laurier
    Special Teams
    P – Jonah Zlatinszky, Waterloo
    K – Nathan Mesher, Laurier
    RET – Kalem Beaver, Ottawa
    RUSH – Kurtis Gray, Waterloo

One player from McMaster on 1st team, offence and defense combined. I find that surprising for a #2 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by DSquared View Post
    One player from McMaster on 1st team, offence and defense combined. I find that surprising for a #2 seed.
    Laurier, a non-playoff team, has ten All Stars.
    An unofficial source for news & opinions about the University of Guelph football program
    http://gryphonfootball.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by peter.gryphon View Post
    Laurier, a non-playoff team, has ten All Stars.
    Who are you replacing? All deserving.....I feel it speaks more to how despite great talent they underachieved.

#1 rushing attack speaks to the RB, and the strength of the O-line
    Mesh was 18/21 on FG's best percentage of his career and #2 behind Liegghio
    Strength on D was the front 7 the comical part is Sam knocking 2 time first teamer Trevaughn down to the second team.

Call it Purple & Gold glasses but given their schedule they honestly should have gone 7-1, worst case 6-2