Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smurfs @ Laval

Hybrid View

Default Smurfs @ Laval

Ticket sales have passed the 16k mark

And it looks like it will be a nice Fall day for the game

Oct20game.jpg
    Train ride to a home game..$80, season tickets $198. Beer and hotdogs at the game $20, Championship Cap and player's jersey,$100.
    Trip to Vanier Cup 2012,$500. Trip to 2013 Vanier Cup and having a cool lunch with Jim Mullin the next day, $200.
    Being a fan of the only team with 4 consecutive years in the Championship Game, 3 Vanier Cups in front of THEM , 9 Vanier Cups ahead of UdeMontreal...PRICELESS

Despite everyone thinking this game will be close, or the historical rock fight, I'm seeing a blow out. I think Laval wins by 24.

Quote Originally Posted by DSquared View Post
    Despite everyone thinking this game will be close, or the historical rock fight, I'm seeing a blow out. I think Laval wins by 24.
    More likely, Laval only scores 24 points but still wins by two scores.
    An unofficial source for news & opinions about the University of Guelph football program
    http://gryphonfootball.wordpress.com/

I like the way you think
    Laval Rouge et Or

The Rouge et Or are a special program. By far the strongest in the nation and likely the greatest program ever. - Duane Rollins, Sept 2nd 2008

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Quote Originally Posted by marton View Post
    I like the way you think
    Most people do.

Sherbrooke put up 23 on Montreal last week. I'd like to think that Laval can at least equal that, even with the history of rock fights between these two teams. These really seem like teams headed in opposite directions, so I'm expecting a lopsided Laval victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Sherbrooke put up 23 on Montreal last week. I'd like to think that Laval can at least equal that, even with the history of rock fights between these two teams. These really seem like teams headed in opposite directions, so I'm expecting a lopsided Laval victory.
    I like to keep my expectations low wrt Laval's O vs Alabama.
    Laval Rouge et Or

The Rouge et Or are a special program. By far the strongest in the nation and likely the greatest program ever. - Duane Rollins, Sept 2nd 2008

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

While there is a chance it could be a close game, as Mtl did beat Laval in one game, which was a very defensive game, almost no passing; Laval 86 vs Mtl 34 yards passing, Laval 85 vs Mtl 173 yards rushing. While these are two very strong teams - I'll say Laval has the edge & wins by at least 2 TD's.
    Last edited by Spud's cyclesguy; 2019-10-17 at 18:54.
    Everything goes in cycles!

One thing to take into consideration is both teams' O will be at the helm of different QBs from game 1.

Bolduc for Laval will meet Montréal for the first time, while Paquette-Perreault met Laval while with the «defunct» Redmen.
    Laval Rouge & OR - The Greatest CIS/SportsU team the Earth has ever seen !™ 1999 - 2003 - 2004 - 2006 - 2008 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2016 - 2018 - 202_ and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Bizz View Post
    One thing to take into consideration is both teams' O will be at the helm of different QBs from game 1.

Bolduc for Laval will meet Montréal for the first time, while Paquette-Perreault met Laval while with the «defunct» Redmen.
    So who do you think is going to win this one and by how much approx.

Quote Originally Posted by Spud's cyclesguy View Post
    Montréal always play their best games against Laval. As Constantin explained yesterdat, they don't seem to prepare so well against the other teams but always prepare very well against Laval. So I would expect a close game, as usual, if not for the fact that Montréal has a new QB.

It will be Paquette-Perrault's first start since 2017. There will be 16,000 people screaming at him and the first rank and field advantage for the playoffs is at stake. His reaction in the first quarter will tell if he can handle the pressure or not.

If Montréal can't pass the ball, I don't think they'll be able to run it as well as they did in the first game as the Laval D line has greatly improved since then. Also, I think the Laval offense will do better with the new QB and at home.

In conclusion, I'll say Laval by 10 with a relatively low score, something like 22-12.
    Rouge et Or all the way!

"A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall" - Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Spud's cyclesguy View Post
    Laval by 6; just enough to be safe even if Sherby win the next game.
    Last edited by Bizz; 2019-10-18 at 13:14. Reason: typo
    Laval Rouge & OR - The Greatest CIS/SportsU team the Earth has ever seen !™ 1999 - 2003 - 2004 - 2006 - 2008 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2016 - 2018 - 202_ and counting...

The scoreboard matters little, as long as Laval wins the next two. I mean losing this one and then winning the Dunsmore would be sweet as well, but it wouldn't be as lovely as winning the next two.
    Gaels & Rouge et Or Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveBreatheFootball View Post
    The scoreboard matters little, as long as Laval wins the next two.
    Now that Montréal has lost that game to Sherbrooke, the point spread doesn't matter anymore indeed. Laval only needs to win by 1 to finish first (assuming they'll beat Sherbrooke next week).
    Rouge et Or all the way!

"A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall" - Vince Lombardi

The way Laval is going, I'd like to say Laval by 21 but my theory is that Montreal has taken too much time prepare for this game hence the loss against Sherbrooke.

Laval by 10 at best.

(Unless there's a contested TD by Auclair in which case at least 10)
    Last edited by Fenris; 2019-10-18 at 12:37.
    I would rather win ugly than lose pretty. Bobby Bowden

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. tanstaafl

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Laval by 10 at best.
    You Laval fans are the worst, are you so used to winning you're subliminally hoping for a close game?

For fans of a team that rarely loses you need to take off your panties, be bold with your predictions.

I'm stating Laval by 20 or more and will take any bets to the contrary

You Laval fans are the worst, are you so used to winning you're subliminally hoping for a close game?

For fans of a team that rarely loses you need to take off your panties, be bold with your predictions.

I'm stating Laval by 20 or more and will take any bets to the contrary
    Is this bold enough. Laval by 21

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleReign View Post
    Is this bold enough. Laval by 21
    Yep, but after this week I don't think anyone should listen to anything I have to say about ranking teams, strategy or picking winners. After last and this week it wouldn't surprise me at all if Montreal wins by 21.
    Last edited by DSquared; 2019-10-19 at 18:26.

Yep, but after this week I don't think anyone should listen to anything I have to say about ranking teams, strategy or picking winners. After last and this week it wouldn't surprise me at all if Montreal wins by 21.
    Bite your tongue....although you had a bad week, let's not get too down on yourself.
    I did however suggest you go with Mac...
    This is a very difficult year to pick teams. Tighter competition. Many close games that could have gone either way, making things more difficult to assess - level of talent of players and teams as a whole. Can't just look at the win losses, but the scores, and field production.
    In my earlier posts, I listed there's many things to take into consideration - more than the last few years. Injured and not very experienced O Lines - some backing very talented QB's, weaker DEF - due to injuries, loss of talent from previous years and weaker recruiting the past couple years, Loss of key players on some teams, the addition of quality players to others which has a slower impact. Some players even compensated for their own deficiencies - Dueck's not much of a rusher, so he focused on accuracy and delivery of passing - coaches drew on the support of the Oline helping our rushing game. The merry go round in coaching changes, recruiting personnel from last year, which had an immediate impact and improved some teams and dropped production of others; better coaching and game planning for those coaches is evident this year. CW - Look at Alberta this year, Mac, U of T, Bishops, St. FX. The increased motivation, heart, work ethics of the players with those teams who lacked more quality or experienced players & had to compensate for that. Complacency with other teams...cough choke Montreal. Did I say choke? Some teams picked up on recruiting, and some of those players are just starting to show signs of life, and all those changes are significant. It makes for a very exciting year I'd say. And when it's tough to pick what should be the leading team in Canada, you know things are different....Just look at Blake Nill - what a loss of backing and money will do to a program, pretty tough year for him. He has one of the worst Def in the CIS.
    Last edited by Spud's cyclesguy; 2019-10-20 at 07:34.

This is how I want to imagine the hours and minutes are ticking away in Quebec before UdM and Laval get it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfun Happy Slide View Post
    This is how I want to imagine the hours and minutes are ticking away in Quebec before UdM and Laval get it on.

Actually, part of the media and a lot of people on Social Medias have been busy trying to whip-up some phoney Hype ( as if this game needed ANY help at Hype ) over
    some silly comments made by a Smurfs player saying in an interview that the R&O is no longer talented enough to win against MTL , no matter where the game is played.........and Smurf fans have replied quoting Constantin who apparently said "Fuck les Verts" , on the sidelines during the 1st game against Sherbrooke. As you see everything is normal in the Q.
    Train ride to a home game..$80, season tickets $198. Beer and hotdogs at the game $20, Championship Cap and player's jersey,$100.
    Trip to Vanier Cup 2012,$500. Trip to 2013 Vanier Cup and having a cool lunch with Jim Mullin the next day, $200.
    Being a fan of the only team with 4 consecutive years in the Championship Game, 3 Vanier Cups in front of THEM , 9 Vanier Cups ahead of UdeMontreal...PRICELESS

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledFan View Post
    Actually, part of the media and a lot of people on Social Medias have been busy trying to whip-up some phoney Hype ( as if this game needed ANY help at Hype ) over
    some silly comments made by a Smurfs player saying in an interview that the R&O is no longer talented enough to win against MTL , no matter where the game is played.........and Smurf fans have replied quoting Constantin who apparently said "Fuck les Verts" , on the sidelines during the 1st game against Sherbrooke. As you see everything is normal in the Q.
    SWEARING!

Oh my.

I'm as small-L liberal minded as they come but some of the SJW shit that's going on in the last couple of years is even a little much for me.

No joke, at the Western-uOttawa game the ref's mic was left on and we heard the reason for a flag that was thrown:

Someone on the bench (I think it was on the Gee Gees' side) swore at someone.

The opposition? A ref? I'm not sure, but it was in the 4th when the score had tightened up and the Gee Gees were making a push.

Life is a little sensitive these days.
    Last edited by Superfun Happy Slide; 2019-10-20 at 06:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfun Happy Slide View Post
    SWEARING!

Oh my.

I'm as small-L liberal minded as they come but some of the SJW shit that's going on in the last couple of years is even a little much for me.

No joke, at the Western-uOttawa game the ref's mic was left on and we heard the reason for a flag that was thrown:

Someone on the bench (I think it was on the Gee Gees' side) swore at someone.

The opposition? A ref? I'm not sure, but it was in the 4th when the score had tightened up and the Gee Gees were making a push.

Life is a little sensitive these days.
    It was probably someone from the Ottawa D swearing at the Ottawa O.

The odd thing is that Barresi is known to chastise his players and coaches if he hears them swearing anytime, anyplace.
    Last edited by ottawafan; 2019-10-20 at 07:26.
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

Boohoo!

Players say f... les verts (or whoever they're playing) on tv before every game.

Started with the Smurfs, though... So F... les bleus.

Would be surprised if Glen was ever part of that, though...
    Laval Rouge et Or

Past the 17k ticket sales now.