Thread: How long will it take UBC to recover and will Nill stay with the team?

Default How long will it take UBC to recover and will Nill stay with the team?

Lots of challenges at UBC
    Long term recruiting shouldn't be negatively impacted, but it may take a while to recover from the scandal and loss of key players, and funding
    Looks like UBC is trying to find itself on OFF,
    Defence is really struggling.
    At last place in CW, this can't be something Nill is enjoying nor accustomed to

Given that his son is also coaching there, will Nill stick it out at UBC, or will he end up elsewhere in the CIS?

Curious Would SMU take him back or are they happy with who they currently have. Or is Nill fine with sticking it out there, if they have him?
    Would any other team be interested in Nill -or he them, like St. FX??
    Everything goes in cycles!

UBC will improve in short order - if not 2020, then 2021. Having said this, improvement doesn't necessessarily mean being a national power. Nill hurt himself and his program when, immediately following UBC's playoff loss to Saskatchewan, he wondered out loud if he still had it in him to get through to young athletes (I don't recall the exact quote, but it was words to this effect). Instead, he should have just acknowledged a tough loss and difficult season - given the disappointment of not coming close to his Vanier Cup expectations considering the veteran roster and adding Ptasek to the coaching staff. Recruits see and hear those comments - I'll speculate that it had at least some negative effect on his 2019 class and might have future recruits wondering if Nill is in it for the long term. Prior to the 2018 season, coaches used Saskatchewan's lack of recent playoff success against them on the recruiting trail; I can't imagine current coaches not using Nill's own words against him in a similar way.
    Last edited by Cyrus; 2019-10-14 at 11:31.

UBC is in a load of trouble with the Sidoo issue hanging over the stadium. Nill was pretty closely tied to Sidoo.

Nill will be gone soon, I predict one more season.

Yes Sidoo really put his mark on the program! This is typical UBC..they do well then hit the tank. The alumni is not really strong. Loosing Orezzeti (sp) hurt...he had the connections for recruiting. Nill is just tired....he is like a great teacher who when faced with huge changes in the system may not have the energy to ride it out. The Sidoo fiasco will also also effect who comes into coach..ya I think the program is n trouble...which is really sad. I always feel for the athletes as hey get caught in the middle....since 2000 off field decisions, power struggles off the field, the desire to obtain personal goals by staff behind the scenes has not been good for the program, except for a 4 year period when the program was directed by Sidoo, and it turns out that he wasn't doing for the program, or the athletes, it was personal ambition...sad. But as a true fan...I will always watch and hope!