Thread: Could two NCAA schools join USports?

Default Could two NCAA schools join USports?

Not football, but thought I would post here. the two Alaska schools will soon be on own (no conference) for hockey and their athletics departments might be cut all together. They would make a nice addition to Canada West!

Quote Originally Posted by ram_boy View Post
    Not football, but thought I would post here. the two Alaska schools will soon be on own (no conference) for hockey and their athletics departments might be cut all together. They would make a nice addition to Canada West!
    Would they be allowed to? I suspect not.

Perhaps they could join BCIHL.

They could, as long as they are not in the NCAA
    Krown Gridiron Nation on TSN. Your home for amateur football coverage from a Canadian perspective.

The two Alaska schools would have to move all programs to USports. Since hockey is there big sport, they would be a nice fit in Canada West.

I was guessing a suggesion of adding UMass and UConn to the Q for football...
    Carleton: frightened by the Queen's Bands since 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGuy View Post
    I was guessing a suggesion of adding UMass and UConn to the Q for football...
    Would that be before or after the Q adds UOttawa and CarletonU?---
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

Quote Originally Posted by ottawafan View Post
    Would that be before or after the Q adds UOttawa and CarletonU?---
    Did Ottawa ever announce their response to the offer of a place in the RSEQ for GeeGees football?
    An unofficial source for news & opinions about the University of Guelph football program
    http://gryphonfootball.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by peter.gryphon View Post
    Did Ottawa ever announce their response to the offer of a place in the RSEQ for GeeGees football?
    I am not aware of any public response. At the time, casual conversation with people at Sport Services told me that the response was going to be--no , not now.
    Founded in 1848, the University of Ottawa adopted its official colours Garnet and Grey, and like many nineteenth-century institutions, the athletics teams were known only by the school's colours. Eventually, a connection was made between the shorthand "GGs" and "Gee-Gee", the common British nickname for a racehorse. The unique Gee-Gees name and iconic logo known today is a result of 170 years of history in Ottawa

Quote Originally Posted by ram_boy View Post
    The two Alaska schools would have to move all programs to USports. Since hockey is there big sport, they would be a nice fit in Canada West.
    Do they play football in Alaska?
    Rouge et Or all the way!

"A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall" - Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Sylven View Post
    Do they play football in Alaska?
    Lots of high school football in Alaska, but no college. Anchorage has a 5,000-seat outdoor stadium for football and track which could accommodate a Canadian field.
    Krown Gridiron Nation on TSN. Your home for amateur football coverage from a Canadian perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mullin View Post
    They could, as long as they are not in the NCAA
    I'm taking that to mean that there is no rule specifically prohibiting it, unlike say NCAA Div I. But that doesn't necessarily mean it'd be allowed.

I'd be surprised if USports would accept an application from an American school. They may not feel the need to write a specific rule prohibiting schools from outside Canada from joining given that their purpose is to be the national governing body for university sport in Canada. Also, Canada West doesn't seem too enthused about adding more schools right now, so that would be another barrier for Alaska.

It is an interesting thought exercise, but I suspect there is zero interest from the Alaska schools to begin with, let alone the USports side.

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
    I'm taking that to mean that there is no rule specifically prohibiting it, unlike say NCAA Div I. But that doesn't necessarily mean it'd be allowed.

I'd be surprised if USports would accept an application from an American school. They may not feel the need to write a specific rule prohibiting schools from outside Canada from joining given that their purpose is to be the national governing body for university sport in Canada. Also, Canada West doesn't seem too enthused about adding more schools right now, so that would be another barrier for Alaska.

It is an interesting thought exercise, but I suspect there is zero interest from the Alaska schools to begin with, let alone the USports side.
    Whether to allow a US school may be a decision at the regional association level rather than the USPORTS level.
    Carleton: frightened by the Queen's Bands since 2014.

Both teams are primarily in NCAA Div II in the GNAC, which also includes Simon Fraser.
    YOU DESERVE TO SEE CANADA'S BEST!
    CLICK HERE FOR THE 2019 OHT27!.

There’s a USPORTS bylaw that was passed after UBC looked to the NCAA which prohibited member schools from competing in sports in the NCAA which were also offered by USPORTS (CIS). This did not include the NAIA.

So, baseball, gymnastics, lacrosse, etc. Would be Sports a USPORTS school could play in the NCAA.

There is no differentiation between American Football and Canadian. USPORTS would need to consider an American school on a case-by-case basis. I’m unsure if being a Canadian-based school is in the by laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mullin View Post
    There’s a USPORTS bylaw that was passed after UBC looked to the NCAA which prohibited member schools from competing in sports in the NCAA which were also offered by USPORTS (CIS). This did not include the NAIA.

So, baseball, gymnastics, lacrosse, etc. Would be Sports a USPORTS school could play in the NCAA.

There is no differentiation between American Football and Canadian. USPORTS would need to consider an American school on a case-by-case basis. I’m unsure if being a Canadian-based school is in the by laws.
    So JUST when you think USPORTS can’t be any smaller or more petty (aka Ostrich like), we find CanWest leading the way in creating rules that ensure “institutional irrelevancy”.

i mean, there is obviously NO Chance that a couple of Alaskan schools who play hockey might be intriguing to your fan base or help push the envelope in terms of the quality of hockey in the conference.

But of course, they would have never had the foresight to anticipate OPPORTUNITIES like this coming their way!

Well done CanadaWest, well done!

Instead of growing or even being OPEN to new possibilities the intransigent bureaucracy ensures that irrelevancy will prevail unencumbered.

Golf Clap

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Both teams are primarily in NCAA Div II in the GNAC, which also includes Simon Fraser.

Actually both schools play in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, a div 1 league. Their league champion was in the Div 1 tournament for the national title. It is a hockey only conference. Not that both schools did well, or traditionally do well and may in fact be of the same caliber as SFU.

Aside from that I have to wonder how they (being both the Alaskan schools and U Sports (pewf) would handle the idea of scholarship. As a D1 school they would use those to entice students from all over NA including the USA. That would put their recruiting at a HUGE disadvantage to follow U Sports rules. And with the cost of air travel - there would be no real savings to play in Edmonton, or Saskatoon eh?

If they did move programs to USports they would have to adhere to USports scholarship rules.

Despite Alaska's proximity to Canada, they're not really culturally or socially close to us. They feel way more at home with the US mainland.

Perhaps it'd be different if there were larger communities in northern BC or the Yukon, because then the human geography would work in our favour. But as it is, they're not close to any of our major centres.

I really doubt they'd have any interest in playing in a Canadian league.