Thread: Pro hockey player enrolling at Acadia for Winter semester

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by digs01 View Post
    Check other rosters and many guys on CIS rosters do this. They get a cup of coffee in the ECHL and then go the CIS route for a few years before either going back to the ECHL or Europe.
    You don't even need to check other rosters to find more examples. As it turns out DiGiancinto wasn't the only pro that Acadia added for the Winter semester. Re-joining the Axemen was 25-year-old Taylor Makin. Makin had already played 4 seasons at Acadia before starting the 2017-18 season with the Witchita Thunder of the ECHL. Makin packed it in and returned to the AUS in January for his 5th year.

While I fully understand that the eligibility rules are different for football and hockey, I still find it funny that the AUS Exec Dir and ADs made such a huge deal out of the case of a "pro" football player. Unlike the hockey players with pro experience who litter AUS rosters, Archelaus Jack never even dressed for a regular season game.

Hockey players move back and forth between U Sports and pro hockey even within the same season, the same calendar year and the same academic year. If Makin were a football player his participation with a pro team would have cost him his 5th season of U Sports eligibility.

I see the wisdom of the football-specific eligibility rule - 40.10.6.2.1.6.1 - which I summarize like this ...

• Remain on a CFL practice roster past August 15, then you can't play U Sports football that season/that academic year/that calendar year.

• Remain on a CFL practice roster past August 15, then you lose a year of eligibility for that season, or part season, on the PR.

• Dress for one CFL game and you're done as a U Sports football player forever.

What I don't understand is why people believe that, in addition to the above, a player has to sit 365 days from the last day he was on a CFL practice roster. Do they believe that the intent of the rule was enforce an additional penalty on the player? If so, why the additional sanction? A player released on Sept 1 or Oct 1 is unable to participate that year and loses a year of eligibility. What purpose is there to force them to miss more games the following season as well? I don't see any purpose in that and that's why I don't believe it was the original intent of the rule.

Consider the potential impact on U Sports players.

Player A is drafted after his 4th season with a U Sport program. He has used 4 years of eligibility. If he remains on a CFL practice roster past Aug 15 he uses up his final year of eligibility. He can't return to his U Sports team the following year regardless of whether you believe the rule requires a 365-day penalty like the Transfer rule does.

Player B is drafted after his 4th season with a U Sport team. He redshirted as a freshman, thus he has only used 3 years of his eligiblity. If he remains on a CFL practice roster past Aug 15 he uses up one year of eligibility but still has one year remaining. He can return to his U Sports team the following year. If he was released on Sept 30, I believe he is eligible to play the full season. Those who believe the rule requires that he sit out 365 days will say he can't play until Oct 1, thus missing 5 or 6 games in his final season.

Player C is drafted after his 4th season with a U Sport team. He redshirted as a freshman, and missed his third season do to shoulder surgery. Thus player C has only used 2 years of his eligiblity. [I have an actual example of that.] If he remains on a CFL practice roster past Aug 15 he uses up one year of eligibility but still has two years remaining. He can return to his U Sports team the following year. If he was released on Sept 30, I believe he is eligible to play the full season and the following season. Those who believe the rule requires that he sit out 365 days will say he can't play until Oct 1, thus missing 5 or 6 games in his 4th season.

What is the point in forcing Player B or Player C to miss more than one U Sport season?

Do you believe that was the intent of the rule?

It doesn't make sense to me but if you're that worried about a player with CFL practice roster experience returning to U Sports, then just ban him for life if he is released after Aug 15. But really, what difference is there between a player with 8 weeks experience on a CFL p.r. and a player with 14 weeks on a CFL p.r.?

The Aug 15 cut-off date is really only about ensuring administrative clarity to U Sports programs. A player who spent a few additional weeks on a CFL practice roster doesn't pose any additional threat or risk to U Sports, does he?

Receiver Jacob Scarfone was released by the Tiger-Cats from their p.r. in August 2017. Archelaus Jack was released by the Saskatchewan p.r. in Oct 2016. Scarfone returned to Guelph and played the full 2017 season. Why would it make sense for Scarfone to be eligible to play sooner than Jack?
    Last edited by peter.gryphon; 2018-01-13 at 09:33.
    An unofficial source for news & opinions about the University of Guelph football program
    http://gryphonfootball.wordpress.com/