Thread: Apology

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by DSquared View Post
    Is there any way to stop you from posting stats?
    I seldom post stats now..... While they are not the be all to end all, I do feel they are very important

They are important analytics
    https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/27/n...ies-chip-kelly

The game itself is rooted in tactics and strategy and details, and so the study of those has always been inherent in the coaching of the sport and building of its teams.

I find stats are historical data, and support a comment or point. They tell a story of what is going on with the team, conference - they review assess & rank players by it.

The poster.. Maple posts stats on game attendance of which I very much appreciate. Those stats reveal how much support the team has, not just fan but financial support, which depending on the support or lack there of can help or hurt their ability to recruit, and bring in quality coaches. For example, do you think Greg Marshall would want to coach Windsor, U of T, or York?

Stats are a good barometer of how a team is doing, progressing, or not, be that their field production to how much fan - investor support a team has, how much their coaches get paid, and how much the university can put towards their football program. Stats provide a lot of useful information and insight. It will reveal the quality of the players - their efficiencies, coaching strategies; on passing, rushing, defence, do they mix up plays - rotate players. It reveals a team's strengths, weaknesses & deficiencies - holes, against specific teams. Stats also reveal if - how and when a team have improved or declined, what were the contributing factors. Stats provide information on what happened after and prior to players getting injured - how certain injuries impacted the team. Was there enough depth at that position.

For example; Many said Western wouldn't be able to run against Laval defence, even though Western had a dynamic ground game because Laval's defence was just that strong. Some said Western couldn't win at all. Western ended up with a very impressive ground game of 302 yards in addition to their passing against Laval. That is very important stat for Western, it shows that they had a tremendous Oline, rb's, had depth in all areas. It also revealed that Laval who was touted as the strongest team in the Nation couldn't stop them.... When I reviewed the stats throughout the season, it was clear Western was becoming a powerhouse, continuing to improve and Laval although very strong, had some struggles.

Stats are also helpful when someone comes up with wrong information about the team, and by checking the history/ stats & other relevant info, you find the reality.
    It's more difficult to deny facts, stats which can take a lot of research and time to put together - including the injuries to a player and how that impacted - a game(s) team,

Posting stats doesn't make me a bad person.
    I will reduce the length and frequency of my stats but they are important, significant and relevant.

Football coaches have never been known to be particularly intellectual, tending to favor their “gut feelings” over objective data. But that is slowly changing. Professional-football general managers and coaches are increasingly using analytics–the intensive use of data and statistics to make decisions–both in evaluating a player’s performance and in calling plays during the game. Some experts credit part of the success of the New England Patriots, who are competing for their fourth Super Bowl in seven seasons on Sunday, to this trend in analytics. “It is generally accepted that the Patriots are one of the most analytically advanced franchises in the NFL,” says Aaron Schatz, the creator of FootballOutsiders.com, a site that uses statistics to analyze the game.Such heavy use of analytics has already transformed the management of professional baseball, and now it is making inroads into football.
    https://www.technologyreview.com/s/4...s-in-football/
    Last edited by Spud's cyclesguy; 2017-11-29 at 04:23.