LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 3
MANITOBA BISONS 7

Links:

LeagueStat: [Summary] : [Report]
CW Hockey Tech: [Summary] : [Report] : [Text]
Boxscores: [US/CIS] : [CW] : [Coach's View] : [UofM]
Stories: [UofM] : [rp @CW] : [UofL]

This preview of the 2019 University Cup gold medal game (!) did not go well for the Hrny nes and, when combined with the out-of-town scoreboard, all but eliminated them from this year's playoff picture. First, the line-ups:

MANITOBA

Goal
35 Spriggs (34 Sydora)

Defence
2 Henry 25 Skrumeda
4 Bresciani - 3 Christensen
28 Stovin

Forwards
27 Franko 14 Nault 18 St. Croix
12 Zajac 13 Laurencelle 24 Augert
8 Bilton 21 Brooks 19 Spencer - 23 Schreyer
26 Lisoway 22 B Bowles 17 Callis

Scratches
1 Paulic - 9 Douglas 11 Sharonov
15 S Bowles 16 Heinrich - 20 Keane
29 Wasylak

LETHBRIDGE

Goal
29 Hughson - 35 Edmonds

Defence
5 Rayman 2 Hansen
10 Orban 7 Jensen
24 Fisher 3 Valentine

Forwards
14 Moser 6 R Maxwell - 20 B Maxwell
13 M Maxwell 19 Valentino 12 McKechnie
21 White 23 Gore - 8 Chynoweth
18 Clowes 47 Kalshnikov 9 Sward

Scratches
11 Merkley 16 Maltby 17 Filbrandt
27 Wardley - 33 Hogue 34 Sanvido

Blake Heinrich was forced out of the Bison line-up due to his major penalty on Friday night. He was replaced by Calvin Spencer, and Brett Stovin went from forward to defence. For Lethbridge, the line-up was the same except that today's ghost was #9 Dalton Sward. (To me a ghost player is one who is listed on the LeagueStat roster but is never seen by me on the ice.) Last night their ghost was #16 Tyler Maltby.

Here's who scored:

1st 07:08 Man Remi Laurencelle (7)
1st 09:03 Leth Artsiom Kalashnikov (2)
1st 12:08 Leth Tyler Hansen (2)
2nd 02:19 Man Michael St. Croix (10)
2nd 03:59 Man Liam Bilton (7)
2nd 04:59 Man Quintin Lisoway (12) (PP)
3rd 02:38 Man Michael St. Croix (11)
3rd 04:36 Leth Dallas Valentine (4)
3rd 07:02 Man Brad Bowles (3) (PP)
3rd 19:59 Man Michael St. Croix (12) (PP)

The 1st period was firewagon hockey. The Bisons outshot the 'Horns 16-12, but the 'Horns held a 2-1 lead. Laurencelle picked the top corner on a nice shot to open the scoring. His return to the line-up has really helped balance the Bison scoring. He now is 7-6-13 in just 12 games played. He also had two assists on the night. AK47 aka Kalashnikov had two goals on the weekend, and oddly those are his first two goals of the season. He was one of the 'Horns' better players.

As on Friday, the Bisons experienced a 3-goal outburst to turn the game around. This time it was a stretch of under 3 minutes early in the 2nd period which did the trick. Of note, Lisoway's 4-2 goal was his 9th in 10 games played this semester.

The Bisons protested on Lethbridge's 5-3 goal. Byron Spriggs was dumped by a 'Horns' stick which was caught in his skate. When he tried getting up the stuck stick tripped him. At least nobody broke a stick over his head, I guess. (Sly reference to the blown call in the Jets-Knights game this week. Link: https://youtu.be/-b3sOxMZ9hI.)

Things were getting testy in the latter stages of the 3rd period. St. Croix finished his hat-trick on a powerplay when otherwise they would have just killed the clock.

Spriggs got the win, with 28 saves on 31 shots. Lethbridge started with Garret Hughson, who gave up 4 goals on 22 shots. Ty Edmonds finished it off with 21 saves on 24 shots.

The Bisons have thus completed their regular season home schedule. However, they are guaranteed a home playoff series. Lethbridge is on life-support. They must defeat Regina twice and hope that the Bisons beat Calgary twice. If the Bisons pull it off, they could also jump ahead of Saskatchewan, should they lose a pair to MRU. Not holding my breath. I suspect we'll be watching Bisons-Dinos on Feb 16-18.

The four graduating players were recognized before the game: Channing Bresciani, Joel Schreyer, Justin Augert, and Warren Callis.

Michael St. Croix scored a hat-trick.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

CALGARY DINOSAURS 4
REGINA COUGARS 3

Links:

LeagueStat: [Summary] : [CWHT Summary]
Boxscores: [US/CIS] : [CW]
Stories: [UofR] : [rp @CW] : [UofC]

My theory has been that the Kittens can deliver one tough game per weekend, and that was the case in this series. They held a 3-2 lead late in the 2nd period when Chris Collins scored a late powerplay goal to tie the game, then he followed that with another powerplay goal mid-way through the 3rd. Michael Herringer appears to have rediscovered his game, with 42 saves on 46 shots in taking the loss for Regina. Jordan Papirny stopped 23 of 26 shots for the win.

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 1
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 3

Links:

Stories: [UofA] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofS]

Well, I am sure you will be relieved to know that the drought is over for the Evil Monkeys. Their game report points out that this win gives them 1st place for the first time since back in 2014-15. Any Leafs fans out there? Steve Owre scored twice and Brendan Burke stopped 28 of 29 shots for the winners. Jordon Cooke stopped 27 of 30 in the loss. The Banjo Mutts still need a point to assure themselves of 2nd place.

U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 0
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 3

Links:

Stories: [MRU] : [rp @CW] : [UBC]
Friday late link: [UBC Game Story]

Despite the streaks (T-irds' 7 game winning and Bluegars' 4 game losing) this series figured to be a split. Both sides are apparently in playoff mode. The shots were 22-16 for MRU. Cam Lanigan got the win, and Rylan Toth took the loss.

STANDINGS

OUT EAST

Ontario
Feb 03 Brock 2 Windsor 5
Feb 03 Concordia 3 R.M.C. 1
Feb 03 Lakehead 2 W. Ontario 3 (ot)
Feb 03 Laurentian 4 Nipissing 3 (ot)
Feb 03 McGill 4 U.O.I.T. 3 (ot)
Feb 03 Queen's 4 Carleton 3 (ot)
Feb 03 Ryerson 5 Guelph 4
Feb 03 Waterloo 0 Toronto 2

Atlantic