Thread: Addition of Bishop's brings change to AUS football

Threaded View

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
    They're supposed to be students first, at least in Canada. If we wanted a system that purely focused on developing elite athletes without worrying about the student part, then there should be a club system or a semi-pro league.

The special status thing is a slippery slope. Some programs, especially in the US, allow the education thing to be pretty much ignored so that the football program can win more games. Fake classes and fake grades.

I think most people are okay with acknowledging the difficulty and workload involved with being a CIS athlete and a student, and making some accommodations for it. CIS already acknowledges it by allowing for 5 year careers even though degrees are 3-4 years long. Policies that help athletes finish their education are great. Policies which are only in place to help them be better football players when they arrive in their first year don't make nearly as much sense.
    Yours is a tough stance to have and stay balanced.

On one hand you say the 5 years of university eligibility acknowledges the demands of being a students and the efforts the system does in seeing the players graduate and are perfectly fine with the idea, on the other you are against CEGEP doing exactly that. Nowhere is the goal stated as 'being more ready for the next level'.

I'm fine with a lot of things. I acknowledge that the Q win more than their fair share of championships. (mostly Laval but let's call it the Q for arguments sake)

I'm fine with acknowledging that Q players are on average one year older (give or take).

I'm also fine with many of you thinking that older players are a big factor explaining the Q's relative dominance. I don't necessarily agree, but I'm fine with the idea being considered.

I'm also fine with the idea that some tweaking could be considered to re-establish better balance between the conferences. If it's further age limiting, then so be it. Greater good and all that.

But please let's not compare civil football with cegep, which is part of the educational system, and which in every way is more demanding than HS. And which ALSO has legitimate 3-year programs.
    Last edited by marton; 2017-02-06 at 17:25.
    Laval Rouge et Or

The Rouge et Or are a special program. By far the strongest in the nation and likely the greatest program ever. - Duane Rollins, Sept 2nd 2008

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS