PDA

View Full Version : March Madness

thejumpoff
2010-03-14, 12:26
In a few hours, the 2010 NCAA men's basketball tournament seedings will be announced (6pm ET on your local CBS station). I don't know if there is a better sports event than "the Madness" From the raw emotion, the cinderella teams, and "who got snubbed?"(Most recent was Syracuse in 2007 and the public criticism that followed that one) to CBS announcers Bill Raftery and Gus "This is March Madness" Johnson, this is the tournament.

If you participate in a bracket pool, here are some tips.

1. 12 seed beats a 5 seed each year--Look for a mid-major team as a 12 seed that is on the upswing. BCS schools that are low seeds, tend not to care at all.

2. Foul shooting--in the tournament, it is important for teams to make foul shots. I have seen teams lose games because they could not sink a stone in the ocean from the charity stripe.

3. Frontcourt play--Look for teams that have a go-to guy that can score from the paint. If you look at past national champions, you will see each team has a big man upfront that can score pts.

4. Guard play--Look for teams that have good guard play--that is guards that do not turn the ball over, and make smart decisions.

My #1 seeds would be Kansas, Kentucky, West Virginia and Syracuse (in reality Duke will get a #1 seed and I see West Virginia getting a 2 seed)

I think Kansas best fits this bill and I think the Jayhawks will win it all this year. Final Four is in Indianapolis (about 7 hr drive from London, ON)

two four
2010-03-15, 06:08
Great post!!

thejumpoff
2010-03-16, 09:40
I am glad you liked my post. I feel "the Madness" is the best playoff in all of sport. Thursday and Friday, I feel is a "national holiday" in the USA (and those who like US College basketball).

Rids
2010-03-16, 19:32
They do consider the opening Thursday of the Tournament to be the least productive office day in the United States.

Dr. Evil
2010-03-18, 13:02
Yep nothing like watching a bunch of 7 foot tall future janitors...

Rids
2010-03-18, 19:37
With that height they'll be perfect for stocking the top shelf!

thejumpoff
2010-03-18, 19:41
Yep nothing like watching a bunch of 7 foot tall future janitors...

Such a sunny outlook, Dr. Evil....and what will CIS athletes be doing when their playing career is done?

thejumpoff
2010-03-18, 19:51
Day one of the NCAA tourney is stellar...

Big East conference--Marquette-gone, Georgetown-out and the Irish--don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Only Big East team to survive was Villanova (and they needed OT to knock off a pesky Robert Morris team).

Big ups to Washington for their win over Marquette--too many people were criticizing the PAC-10 this year.

How about the small schools (I define those as non-BCS schools). Old Dominion, Ohio. So far this is a good start to the Madness....

thejumpoff
2010-03-20, 16:58
Second round thoughts...

My bracket is now in the garbage. Kansas is going home after Northern Iowa beat them 69-67. I would not call this a huge upset. UNI was ranked in the national polls late in the regular season. Northern Iowa previous claim to fame is the college Kurt Warner went to.

Kentucky looks like a team on a mission after dismantling Wake Forest by 30. The Wildcats have not had to break a sweat and appear to be one of the frontrunners.

Two thumbs up for Baylor reaching the Sweet Sixteen. Couple of years ago, Baylor Bears basketball was mired in turmoil, losing and a apathetic attitude. It goes to show if you have the right people running things, things can turn around quickly (York football, pay attention, I am talking to you!!)

The Big East conference has disappointed me. Villanova is out after losing to St. Mary's of California. I think there is only 3 teams left out of 8 that was selected.

Memo to next year's selection committee..bring more mid-major teams and leave off the also rans from the BCS schools.

As of this writing, Washington is sweet sixteen bound after beating an overrated New Mexico team. Happy for the PAC-10 because they got no respect from the media this year.

I love this time of year. On paper, I look forward to Michigan State v. Maryland, Syracuse v. Gonzaga and Texas A&M v. Purdue.

thejumpoff
2010-03-21, 18:02
Dubbed "the sweet 16" that is how many teams left in the dance. I got 12 teams right in my bracket..not bad.

Rids
2010-03-21, 21:02
Not bad? This year that's freakin amazing! My bracket did not fair so well...

Dr. Evil
2010-03-22, 08:52
Such a sunny outlook, Dr. Evil....and what will CIS athletes be doing when their playing career is done?

Well with the actual education they recieve they will be employable!!!!!!

thejumpoff
2010-03-22, 12:09
Well with the actual education they recieve they will be employable!!!!!!

Just because CIS athlets get an education, does not necessarily mean that they are employable. I have come across some that have the degree, but have no employabilty or come off as a complete moron.

Hmmm...I just read stats on graduation rates of the teams in the NCAA tourney t his year. Some are good, others well there is room for improvement.

I want love to know the CIS graduation rates for each school. I think it would be premature to suggest CIS kids actually graduate from university, considering how soft the academic requirement to stay eligible is...

thejumpoff
2010-03-22, 12:10
Not bad? This year that's freakin amazing! My bracket did not fair so well...

Considering Kansas is out (who I picked to win it all)..serves me right for "following the crowd" I am hoping the round of 16/elite 8 is as exciting as the 1st/2nd rounds.

Rids
2010-03-23, 17:03
I want love to know the CIS graduation rates for each school. I think it would be premature to suggest CIS kids actually graduate from university, considering how soft the academic requirement to stay eligible is...

Because of the CCAA aspect I would be interested in this as well. Seems to be too many players that play 2 or 3 years of CCAA ball and then jump up to the CIS sometimes not even taking courses remotely the same.

Like you I took Kansas all the way to the Championship game but had them losing to Duke. I picked a few upsets and missed on some others (picked some that didn't happen and picked some high seeds that crapped the bed).

thejumpoff
2010-03-24, 10:56
Because of the CCAA aspect I would be interested in this as well. Seems to be too many players that play 2 or 3 years of CCAA ball and then jump up to the CIS sometimes not even taking courses remotely the same.

Like you I took Kansas all the way to the Championship game but had them losing to Duke. I picked a few upsets and missed on some others (picked some that didn't happen and picked some high seeds that crapped the bed).

Rids,

Yes, I too would love to see the numbers on CCAA (college athletes) graduation rates. I currently attend a CCAA school that finished 4th at the men's basketball nationals. I know one coach was fired b/c the players on the women's hoops team had a FAILING GPA/skipping classes and being general a-holes. but that stuff does not get reported in the media but some of the Canadian sports media are so quick to carve up the NCAA for similiar things.

At my school, I know there are articlation agreements with universities. If student A complete their 2 or 3 year diploma, credits can be transferred to university. This was the route taken by a couple of basketball players currently in the CIS (one is at UofT, the other is at UPEI).

Sweet Sixteen on Thursday..can't wait.

Rids
2010-03-24, 17:51
In Calgary the joke used to be about the SAIT Flu over Christmas break that usually had a new starting lineup to play the second half of the ACAC season with because of the players that flunked out first semester.

SAIT had a good run at the National Championships (helps when you host) but really showed a gap in play from CIS to CCAA. Missed seeing Humber play (games are archived though) but even UNBC didn't have the depth to play at the next level.

thejumpoff
2010-03-25, 18:21
Rids,

Fanshawe finished 4th...had UNBC up by 16 at half, only to fade away late in the game. Fanshawe played WLU and lost by about 25 but Humber beat Guelph so I don't know what to make of the CCAA/CIS basketball comparison.

Onto the round of 16...

The Butler did it... Butler knocked off Syracuse 63-59. Butler is one win away from the final 4. Butler is located in Indianapolis (site of the final four). Butler started off on a 12-1 run thanks to some frosty shooting by the Orange. Orange made it interesting late in the game but Butler hangs on for the win. Great win for Butler.

Most intriguing game is Cornell vs. Kentucky. On paper, Kentucky should run Cornell out of the gym. However, the talented (but very young)starters for Kentucky may be in for a shock. Cornell needs to slow the pace down and be deadly accurate from beyond the arc. Kentucky should win with relative ease.

Rids
2010-03-25, 22:56
Depth is a problem for most CCAA teams. The top 5 is usually solid but the 6-12 players are where they drop off. At the bigger schools the top 3 could probably get minutes at a CIS school and maybe 4 and 5 as role players. SAIT's bottom 5 looked like men's league players.

thejumpoff
2010-03-27, 05:25
The round of 16 is complete. Best game of that round, without question is Kansas State double overtime win over Xavier. On to the Elite Eight and my opinion.

In the West regional final, Butler takes on Kansas State. Does Kansas State have enough gas to get past a Butler team that is playing for the right to go back home for the Final Four? If I go to the historical side, it says that teams that play a hard game come out a little flat. But some might learn from history and Gus "Rise and Fire...pure" Johnson (who I think is a faboulous announcer who should be doing the Final Four instead of Jim Nantz).

West Virginia and Kentucky play in the East final. Kentucky pulled away in the 2nd half to dispose Cornell while West Virginia used some stingy D to ward off the Huskies. I like this West Virginia team, tough minded group. Kentucky has had little trouble so it would be interesting to see how they handle this team. Don't be surprised if West Virginia is headed to Indianapolis. Kentucky is talented but they remind me of the 2008 Memphis team.

Tomorrow, the team that irritates me the most in college hoops, Duke takes on Baylor. Halftime score of Baylor vs. St. Mary's 46-17 for Baylor. I have not seen this score since I watched my HS girlfriend play basketball back in the day. Baylor is a gritty team than has a mean inside presence. Duke..well Dick Vitale is in love with them. To me, the Blue Devils are all about the perimeter and someday, that game will run dry. Baylor has the better athletes and playing in Houston (a 3 1/2 drive from Baylor's campus) should be a huge motivating factor. Duke by a hare

Michigan State and Tennessee play for the Midwest final. I told many folks that Tennessee would beat Ohio State, so I told you so. I think the hottest team right now is Michigan State. Tom Izzo has become one of the country's best coaches in terms of game preparation and management. Star guard Kalin Lucas is out but number 34 can step in. I think Tennessee matches up well but I don't know if the Vols can play the half-court game. If this game gets to a run and gun game, advantage Michigan State, if this game gets to a half-court game, advantage Michigan State. I like the Spartans.

My predictions winners, Michigan State, Duke, West Virginia and, what the heck Butler.