PDA

View Full Version : FEWER Canadians in the CFL??

Ernesto
2009-11-07, 11:02
How 'bout MORE instead.

TORONTO -- As Canada tries to recover from the recession, the Canadian Football League apparently wants to make it more difficult for Canadians to find jobs between the lines.
With preliminary negotiations underway as the CFL and the CFL Players' Association see-saw for a new collective bargaining agreement, the CFL reportedly wants to reduce the number of starting Canadians for each team in each game, to four from seven.
Why not just go to four downs, a 100-yard field and watery beer at the concessions while they're at it?
The CFLPA is telling membership across the league to brace themselves for a possible lockout. The CBA expires on the day before training camps open next spring.
Also on the table is the average work day for CFLers. Now, they're required to be at the office for 4 1/2 hours; the CFL wants to increase that to six hours daily.
A work stoppage would be asinine for a league that could not afford one. Expect a new CBA to be signed next year.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/football/2009/11/07/11668191-sun.html

Rids
2009-11-07, 14:12
Not fewer per team just fewer needed in the starting lineup.

Ernesto
2009-11-08, 07:53
Here's a better description of the issues:

Canadian content shouldn't be a bargaining chip

By TERRY JONES (terry.jones@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA
Last Updated: 8th November 2009, 4:41am

It's a lesson that the Americans who run teams never seem to learn: the most important word in Canadian Football League is Canadian.
And now we have a commissioner, the man who inspired and drove the successful 'It's Our League' campaign, allegedly contemplating reducing the number of starting Canadians per team, per game, from seven to four.
Maybe commissioner Mark Cohon spent so much time growing up in the U.S. and overseas that he doesn't understand that 'It's Our League' struck a chord not only with the people who sit in the stands but because of the ones wearing the uniforms on the field and living next door.
This league needs more Canadian starters, not fewer.
Make it four, and unless the guy is a kicker, there would no longer be a reason for a Canadian kid to aspire to play in the CFL.
And there would no longer be a reason for CFL teams to nurture Canadians and create homegrown heroes of the best kind -- the ones who not only live next door but live here year-round, including long after their careers are over.
American players are a dime a dozen. Not the great ones, of course. Not quarterbacks the calibre of Ricky Ray, Anthony Calvillo or Henry Burris.
But, to use some Edmonton Eskimos examples, you can have a Tristan Jackson go down and put in Skyler Green in the last regular-season game of the schedule and not skip a beat. You can replace a Mo Mann with a Jason Barnes and get away with it.
But if a Patrick Kabongo goes down ...
That's the biggest reason many of the Americans who have come and gone as general managers and coaches in this league would like to eliminate the import/non-import ratio.
The other reason is that it would be cheaper. First-rate starting Canadians are worth more because of the options they allow in the rest of the lineup.
The greatest team in CFL history, the five-in-a-row Eskimos, had Warren Moon. But they also had the best Canadian content because of the work of scout Frank Morris.
A guy like Kabongo is the perfect example. He's a double nominee in the CFL Awards this year as top Canadian and offensive lineman.
But remember where he was when Danny Maciocia made a project out of him? Reduce the Canadian starters by any more and it wouldn't be worth the time and effort to develop a Kabongo.
"At the end of the day this is the Canadian Football League and there should be considerable Canadian content," said Maciocia, the Canadian GM.
"You need to inspire youth to play in this league."
He also thinks the league should be going in the other direction in Canadian philosophy on another front.
"I think there should be a quota on coaches. We grow up with the game. We coach in minor football and dream of coaching in this league. Yet we get a lot of coaches who come up here hoping to get back on the other side of the border."
It's difficult to believe that Cohon is serious about the idea of four Canadian starters.
Maybe this is just collective bargaining strategy.
The heart of the players association has always been the Canadians because they care more about the league. They're not transient workers.
Maybe the idea is that you give them their seven Canadians "back" to get something else in the collective bargaining agreement.
Let's hope that's the case.
A lockout and/or reducing the Canadian content are just about the two dumbest things you could do to this league.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/football/2009/11/08/11674446-sun.html

Cyrus
2009-11-08, 08:11
Stories like this is why I consider CIS football as THE Canadian football league. I follow and attend the occasional CFL game, and I'm lucky enough to live in a province that has a very good team with a great following, but I don't get excited about CFL football. I'd rather watch Canadian kids play in my community, at my alma mater, any day.

Potential lockout? What a joke. That would be the absolute biggest mistake that anyone could make and would seriously wound that league for a long, long time. It won't happen.

Good for Maciocia to speak up, strongly, on this issue.