View Full Version : NCAA Rankings

Sasky Boy
2009-10-12, 12:08
So, who are your top 5, 10 or 15?

Longs ways to go, but I like:
1. UF
2. TX
3. AL
4. VT (should really be LSU, but I'll be political)
5. BOISE ST
6. LSU
7. OK ST (I just think another B12 should be in here...really, OU is Top 6)
8. USC
9. IOWA
10. OREGON
11. OSU (Better than IOWA, but they have time to prove it)
12. MIAMI
13. CINCINNATI
14. TCU
15. OU (I think they are better than TX, so they at least deserve a top 15)
15B. UGA (huge loss last week, but I really think they are great)
54. Notre Dame (are they still in the top 25 in some polls? insane!)

Sasky Boy
2009-10-12, 12:11
Also....Is UF's #1 spot at RISK?
Here is ALABAMA's next three opponents:
USC, UT, than LSU

Style points in three quality games could vault AL to #1 while UF plays ARK, MSU, and UGA...

Likewise, TX play OU, MIZZ, and OSU!!!

to me, the Gator schedule is JUST strong enough to justify a top ranking, and an SEC game against a top 4 team will secure them. But their schedule is only BARELY strong enough to justify staying at #1.

marton
2009-10-12, 12:26
Notre-Dame (just kidding!)
Florida
Alabama
Texas (that last lackluster game cost them #2)
Virginia Tech
Ohio State (puke!)
Oklahoma
LSU
Boise State
Iowa
Miami
USC
Oregon

chappy
2009-10-12, 16:12
Alabama have one short fall or big launch. Even with style points in the next three were they to run that table they still get UF in the SEC championship game.

I just don't think Bama has it to hang with Florida this year given all the pressure. LSU certainly didn't with that young inexperienced QB.

marton
2009-10-12, 16:36
Alabama have one short fall or big launch. Even with style points in the next three were they to run that table they still get UF in the SEC championship game.

I just don't think Bama has it to hang with Florida this year given all the pressure. LSU certainly didn't with that young inexperienced QB.
I agree. Alabama will once again lose in the SEC championship. Was not impressed with their QB this Saturday. Kept throwing in double and triple coverage in the endzone, among other things.

Question is... If they run the table and then lose to Florida... will anyone go and rank them #2 nonetheless? Wouldn't that be evil, seeing 2 SEC teams in the big game?

The argument could be made... a one loss Texas or a one loss Alabama. Not likely to be a one loss OSU again. Who else?

Things could get funny in the coming weeks.

Sasky Boy
2009-10-12, 16:40
Marton, love your pix...in particular, your spot for USC and the puke-fator with OSU.

I think UF's defence is so very badly underrated. They can keep Bama, OU, USC, and TX under 10 points! As per a previous post I whispered, there is little doubt in my mind that UF, LSU or Bama will compete for a national title as long as:
- they win the SEC title; and
- they only have one loss; and
- their opponent in the SEC final also has 1 loss or less

So yeah, this regular season is a little over-rated.

thejumpoff
2009-10-12, 16:42
I agree. Alabama will once again lose in the SEC championship. Was not impressed with their QB this Saturday. Kept throwing in double and triple coverage in the endzone, among other things.

Question is... If they run the table and then lose to Florida... will anyone go and rank them #2 nonetheless? Wouldn't that be evil, seeing 2 SEC teams in the big game?

The argument could be made... a one loss Texas or a one loss Alabama. Not likely to be a one loss OSU again. Who else?

The way I see it, whoever wins the SEC conf. champ game is going to the BCS championship game. the loser likely going to Sugar Bowl.

Bama needs to win the conference, period. UF has to win because, the Gators have a weak non-conference schedule. I would lean towards Texas, assuming the 'Horns run the table. On the outside is Southern Cal...they only have themselves to blame for losing at Washington.

Sasky Boy
2009-10-12, 17:17
In 96 the gators crushed FSU in the regular season. FSU came back and was very strongly supported by the officials. Fans and media were not impressed with FSU one bit and decided to play a rematch in NOLA (I might be wrong about it being the Sugar Bowl, but I am pretty sure I recall this story...happened just before I attended UF and you cannot live in Gainesville without know this story and several great Tom Petty stories too).

Anyway, UF beat the crap out of FSU in the rematch and justified the vote.

I am confident that the SEC final will be a one shot deal. Too many other teams in the mix...The real problem could be if Boise State go undefeated or if TX lose the Big 12 final to a legit team by a close margin in a controversial game, so they and USC are both sitting with 1 loss.

It is the oldest question in college ball: which is the better team, the one who lost to a great opponent, or the one who lost to a nobody? When I was little, I remember ND beat FSU then lost to someone like BC the following week (always the let down folks -- if there is going to be an upset, it is almost always the week before/after the biggest game on that teams schedule!!!). FSU got to play for the national title over ND despite the same 1-loss record...silly stuff

marton
2009-10-15, 07:53

From today's CFB Mailbag on SI.com. Apparently I'm not alone to wonder about that.

Stewart: Considering that Florida and Alabama are now Nos. 1 and 2 in the polls, is it possible that the loser of the SEC championship game between those two would get a rematch in the BCS title game if the teams below them lose?
-- Rich, Nashville

I've been getting that question a lot this week and the answer is no, I cannot see it happening. We went through this before in 2006 with Ohio State and Michigan, when the voters put the kibosh on their potential rematch by moving Florida ahead of the Wolverines in the final polls. Obviously, it's a good thing they did. Given their opportunity, the Gators showed that the Buckeyes weren't the end-all, be-all team many of us made them out to be.

The voters would presumably do the same thing if faced with the aforementioned SEC scenario. Even if the Gators and Tide entered that game as the only undefeated teams in the country, even if they staged a triple-overtime thriller, who are the voters to assume they're still the top two teams in the country? They'd want to give someone else a crack at the winner to be certain.

However, there is one scenario where things could get messy. What if Alabama loses the game, and what if the team right behind the Crimson Tide is current No. 4 Virginia Tech -- whom the Tide previously beat? And what if the Hokies are the only other one-loss team out there? Would they still get the nod, or would Alabama stay above them? Every year presents a new headache-inducing BCS riddle. That one sounds about perfect.

Sasky Boy
2009-10-15, 11:29
great post.

I stand by my previous reply. I think there is a little over-hype for the SEC in this question. The key i that is the first game is legit, there will not be a rematch. But, let's say the gators lose by one point on a last minute kick and someone like Tebow did not even play. In that situation, people will take a 1-loss UF to play a rematch over a team like USC or VT who will not have any quality wins this year. (If USC plays and beats a healthy Oregon, i'll give the Trojans credit for that!).

I think there are too many high-end teams these days. It is not the only UM, Nebraska, FSU days. I cannot see TX, VT, OSU, and USC all having 2 losses, plus Boise State having a loss.

If a 2-loss team gets in, I am saying right now that it should be OU. If they run the tables and beat out TX, then good on them.

thejumpoff
2009-10-15, 12:56
great post.

I stand by my previous reply. I think there is a little over-hype for the SEC in this question. The key i that is the first game is legit, there will not be a rematch. But, let's say the gators lose by one point on a last minute kick and someone like Tebow did not even play. In that situation, people will take a 1-loss UF to play a rematch over a team like USC or VT who will not have any quality wins this year. (If USC plays and beats a healthy Oregon, i'll give the Trojans credit for that!).

I think there are too many high-end teams these days. It is not the only UM, Nebraska, FSU days. I cannot see TX, VT, OSU, and USC all having 2 losses, plus Boise State having a loss.

If a 2-loss team gets in, I am saying right now that it should be OU. If they run the tables and beat out TX, then good on them.

On the assumption that Oklahoma wins the Big 12 title. IMHO....

Sasky Boy
2009-10-15, 17:43
On the assumption that Oklahoma wins the Big 12 title. IMHO....

OU's 2 losses were out of conference I think. UM and BYU? Something like that. So yeah, they can win the B12. I am sure this week will have something to do with deciding that ;)

Rids
2009-10-15, 19:59
Not sure you can put a 2 loss conference champ into the big game (again). As it stands right now OU's two tough games were one point losses and their other three were cakewalks for the 3-2 record. Their schedule does take a turn here with #3 Texas followed by #17 Kansas but of the 7 games left 3 are looking like guaranteed win nights and 4 ranked opponents. I wouldn't be surprised if Oklahoma finishes with 4 losses this year.

Sounds crazy but the Big Ten could come down to the Iowa-Ohio State game later on.

Of the other unbeatens Cincinnati could be a great pick for a BCS bowl. Leading South Florida right now with a win over Oregon State already chalked up. Too bad nobody knew which Illinois team would decide to play this year or that game would be a lot of fun of watch. Juice Williams vs. Tony Pike!

Don't know why you guys don't like the VA Tech option. Big wins over a ranked Nebraska and Miami (who beat Oklahoma...). Showdown of the ACC Techs this week with VA Tech up against #19 Georgia Tech.

Hollywood
2009-10-15, 20:38
I am surprised that Guelph never got a few votes.

thejumpoff
2009-10-16, 12:36
Not sure you can put a 2 loss conference champ into the big game (again). As it stands right now OU's two tough games were one point losses and their other three were cakewalks for the 3-2 record. Their schedule does take a turn here with #3 Texas followed by #17 Kansas but of the 7 games left 3 are looking like guaranteed win nights and 4 ranked opponents. I wouldn't be surprised if Oklahoma finishes with 4 losses this year.

Sounds crazy but the Big Ten could come down to the Iowa-Ohio State game later on.

Of the other unbeatens Cincinnati could be a great pick for a BCS bowl. Leading South Florida right now with a win over Oregon State already chalked up. Too bad nobody knew which Illinois team would decide to play this year or that game would be a lot of fun of watch. Juice Williams vs. Tony Pike!

Don't know why you guys don't like the VA Tech option. Big wins over a ranked Nebraska and Miami (who beat Oklahoma...). Showdown of the ACC Techs this week with VA Tech up against #19 Georgia Tech.

While Cincinnati is unbeaten, SEC/Big12/NCAA honks will use the "play in the Big East--weak conference" card for Cincy to play in the national championship game. Unless every team ahead of Cincinnati folds down the stretch, the best Cincy would get is a probable bid to the Orange Bowl (as Big East champion).

I would say no team is safe right now (not even the Gators). It should be a wild ride...starts tomorrow with Oklahoma-Texas:)

Sasky Boy
2009-10-16, 19:43
Case against VT:
- ACC is pretty weak
- They lost to Bama head to head, and were dominated pretty thoroughly

Case against CINCI:
- The Big East is no stronger than the WAC...

No team is at all safe. But I would say that the SEC is pretty close to having earned a one loss grace. You know what I mean. A strong argument could be made that UF, AL, and LSU are all top 5 teams.

As for the 2-loss thing. I am chronically lazy, so I won't look this up, and I am willing to be proven wrong, but the Gators won the BCS title 3 years ago (Under Chris Leak w/ Tebow as the "wildcat/spread" QB) with 2 losses. no? 2-Loss teams can be the best team in the system.

Why is OU not the best team in the country just b/c Bradford was down? You know?

thejumpoff
2009-10-17, 11:00
Case against VT:
- ACC is pretty weak
- They lost to Bama head to head, and were dominated pretty thoroughly

Case against CINCI:
- The Big East is no stronger than the WAC...

No team is at all safe. But I would say that the SEC is pretty close to having earned a one loss grace. You know what I mean. A strong argument could be made that UF, AL, and LSU are all top 5 teams.

As for the 2-loss thing. I am chronically lazy, so I won't look this up, and I am willing to be proven wrong, but the Gators won the BCS title 3 years ago (Under Chris Leak w/ Tebow as the "wildcat/spread" QB) with 2 losses. no? 2-Loss teams can be the best team in the system.

Why is OU not the best team in the country just b/c Bradford was down? You know?

OU has little chance to make BCS championship....Sam Bradford is injured again vs. Texas today...6-3 Sooners in 2nd qtr.

Rids
2009-10-17, 12:27
I believe the two loss team in the National Championship game was LSU.

Oklahoma would need a win today for sure (16-13 Texas in the fourth...) plus survive the rest of their schedule. Oklahoma State will be a tough match up even without Dez Bryant. This year it's not a foregone conclusion that the Big 12 South winner will smash the Big 12 North winner like it was last year. I don't think Oklahoma is a top ten team this year but have been impressed by Landry Jones and handling the pressure of the big game.

thejumpoff
2009-10-17, 12:59
Texas won 16-13....no need to worry about Oklahoma, that is three losses and the Sooners should not be ranked, IMHO when the next rankings come out. The BCS standings should be coming out soon.

You are right Rids about the BIG 12 North winner not being a pushover....Kansas to me, is a good team, so is Nebraska...Texas has the inside track to win the Big 12...for Texas to make it to Pasadena...need Alabama or Florida to lose 2 games.

marton
2009-10-17, 14:51
Interesting week. Florida still trailing against Arkansas. With an offence that looks VERY mortal for the second consecutive week.

I can easily see Alabama moving up to the top.

Sasky Boy
2009-10-17, 14:55
you really can? i mean, if UF wins, they could drop?

marton
2009-10-17, 14:59
Texas dropped without losing.

Alabame hype is growing while Florida's is kinda getting deflated, at least on O.

Could happen.

Sasky Boy
2009-10-17, 15:16
fair opinion.

i don't think anyone wants to hear about the gators every day for 2 years, and I am all for jockying the rankings...but i personally feel the #1 spot is kinda sacred. If two teams are nearly equal and the #2 beats a top 5 team, they deserve a bump to #1. However, Bama beating #22 USC would not justify dropping UF only one week after beating #4 LSU in Death Valley

...how soon they forget ;)

marton
2009-10-17, 16:10
23 points will do it. I can't see anyone dropping them now. Relieved? :p

thejumpoff
2009-10-17, 16:43
23 points will do it. I can't see anyone dropping them now. Relieved? :p

Gators win....barely...Arkansas should of won this game.
Texas won
Alabama is playing tonight

and IMHO....Looks like the Weis era is over at Notre Dame. Irish lost to Southern Cal and rumours will heat up about Weis job security. So much for that BCS season for the Irish.

Ohio State lost today....each time I watch Terrelle Pryor, the phrase "football deficient IQ" comes to mind. Iowa has the inside track in the Big 10.

Sasky Boy
2009-10-17, 17:10
I swear to you that there is a 95% chance that an NCAA team's worst game will ALWAYS be the week before or after any HUGE game. I thought the Gators would be bad, but they were pathetic.

They were better than ARK and I disagree that ARK deserved to win. Both deserved to lose. I mean, the Gators dropped 2 pretty easy TD passes plus lost 4 of 5 fumbles. 3 Of which were in deep or in the open field. Did you see the fumble that was kicked out of Demps' arm -- weird! Plus the missed FG early. I mean, these mistakes account for a lot of possible points. Like, more than 35.

Here is where the fix was in. Did you see the call against ARK when the Gator OL got lit up behind the play??? What a brutal call! Did the commish of the SEC make that call? Pitiful call to make. Total gift for the Gators. The call took them from about the 20 to the 5. next play or so, TD UF, 20-20.

Pryor is special needs QB
IOWA is making it interesting
My dislike for Chuckie Weis is well stated on this site. He is junk. Horrible ball coach is EVERY single way, and a horrible person. (ALSO, Klaussen is dumb as dog crap...what did you think of the refs getting the irish down to the GL at the end there???)

sick

thejumpoff
2009-10-17, 17:23
I remember the one call (roughing the passer on 97 for USC)......by rule it is the right call but it was just a shove...not a beat down. Irish had chances, Irish did not capitalize thus they deserve to lose.

I notice these "super-recruit" QBs like Pryor and Clausen haven't measured up to expectations. To me, Clausen is an idiot, I have stated my take on Pryor. Whatever happened to kids just playing football.....just play the game...(see Matt Ryan of the Atlanta Falcons....just play the game). Right now, I can't see Clausen getting a shot in the NFL....and IMHO...Weis might get his resume together...I hear the Windsor Lancers might have a head coach opening in a couple of weeks:)

Sasky Boy
2009-10-17, 19:45
Flacco is a beauty too. Somehow, Sanchez is not horrible either...could he be the first USC QB who isn't bust? Anyway...I swear the SEC called in that last minute and made that one call themselves i nthe gators favour. not right.

thejumpoff
2009-10-17, 19:59
Flacco is a beauty too. Somehow, Sanchez is not horrible either...could he be the first USC QB who isn't bust? Anyway...I swear the SEC called in that last minute and made that one call themselves i nthe gators favour. not right.

I forgot about Flacco..and he played at Delaware....last USC QB to be a huge bust in the NFL..this guy Todd Marinovich and to a lesser degree Matt Leinart.

Sasky Boy
2009-10-17, 22:55
Just a couple quick changes from today:
1. UF
2. TX
3. AL
4. VT (should really be LSU, but I'll be political) -- they drop to about 14 IMO
5. BOISE ST -- tight one pulled out v. Tulsa
6. LSU
7. OK ST (I just think another B12 should be in here...really, OU is Top 6)
8. USC -- i would drop them to 9 just for playing ND
9. IOWA -- bump to 8
10. OREGON
11. OSU -- your qb can't read and you don't win. bye!
12. MIAMI
13. CINCINNATI -- maybe around 11 now
14. TCU
15. OU -- done in so many ways
15B. UGA (huge loss last week, but I really think they are great)
54. Notre Dame (are they still in the top 25 in some polls? insane!) -- great showing against USC today...bump to #53!

thejumpoff
2009-10-17, 23:00
I believe Oklahoma cannot be ranked at all.... 3 LOSSES (and I do not want to hear the "no Sam Bradford" excuse...tough crap, Sooner fans.

marton
2009-10-18, 02:12
11. OSU -- your qb can't read and you don't win. bye!
:D :D :D

Great week of NCAA ball! :cool:

Sasky Boy
2009-10-18, 11:59
I believe Oklahoma cannot be ranked at all.... 3 LOSSES (and I do not want to hear the "no Sam Bradford" excuse...tough crap, Sooner fans.

Yeah, I kept things where they were and added a couple smart ass remarks. OU is way out of the rankings. That is what I meant by DONE. Crazy isn't it? If they win (and they were close), they are in the driver seat to win the B12! now they are ranked next to MSU...in the netherworld with sparty

thejumpoff
2009-10-18, 12:22
Just read that Alabama is the new number one in the AP poll, gators are 2, Texas is three, USC is four and Cincinatti is five. Boise State is sixth

marton
2009-10-18, 12:33
Just read that Alabama is the new number one in the AP poll, gators are 2, Texas is three, USC is four and Cincinatti is five. Boise State is sixth
There ya go. Lack of offence pulled them down.

And Boise St, slowly going down.

chappy
2009-10-18, 13:34
Does it really matter. Essentially so long as Florida wins the SEC title game they play in the national championship game.

marton
2009-10-18, 13:37
Does it really matter. Essentially so long as Florida wins the SEC title game they play in the national championship game.
Agreed. With 2 SEC teams on top, who's where means squat. SEC Championship will determine who goes to the BCS Championship.

Sasky Boy
2009-10-18, 15:11
Yeah, don't care for that, but I guess the real issue will be the BCS rankings tomorrow. Couldn't be much closer between the Tide and Gators. The USA Poll has the Gators way up. I did not think the Tide could over take till after this week or next.

1 Alabama (39) 7-0 1447
2 Florida (20) 6-0 1434
3 Texas 6-0 1365
4 USC 5-1 1213
5 Cincinnati 6-0 1163
6 Boise State 6-0 1156

marton
2009-10-19, 20:59
Another article on a possible Florida-Alabama national championship. Lots of interesting points in there...

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/10237334/Texas-could-be-frozen-out-by-BCS-again

Sasky Boy
2009-10-19, 23:18
Another article on a possible Florida-Alabama national championship. Lots of interesting points in there...

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/10237334/Texas-could-be-frozen-out-by-BCS-again

Interesting article. I think the media likes to overstate how certain the title game seems in OCTOBER :rolleyes: just so they can add drama and excitement to NOV / DEC when all their predictions are "upset"...

But I have two thoughts: The BCS game is not really the #1 vs. #2 game. It is the one game that is some how, magically, supposed to make up for a playoff an determine the best team in the nation. It is supposed to make people feel like a playoff is not necessary. So a rematch is not needed if the media is satisfied with the first outcome (that it was fair).

On the other hand, if you take a step back, watch these top team, consider who they are playing, and ask yourself who deserves to play, it is UF and Bama HANDS DOWN. Maybe things will change.

Finally, I think LSU-BAMA will tell us everything about Bama...God help us tho if Bama beats an undefeated UF in Atlanta by 1 point, and someone like Tebow does not even play....then we will have a rematch folks!!!

marton
2009-10-20, 13:30
This week's post-game tailgate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZfSKglUNOY&feature=player_embedded