PDA

View Full Version : LSU v. UGA

Sasky Boy
2009-10-03, 15:45
This is such a sick game. Best defensive game I have ever seen maybe. So great. Tune in if you can...

thejumpoff
2009-10-05, 19:51
A good game marred by questionable officiating.

According to pardon the interruption, the SEC issued a statement "apologizing" to Georiga for the "excessive Celebration" penalty that was called. IMHO, nice of the SEC to offer an apology. Better yet, get rid of the rule. Too open to interpretation.

Florida at LSU...main question is Will Tebow play?

Sasky Boy
2009-10-06, 20:33
A good game marred by questionable officiating.

According to pardon the interruption, the SEC issued a statement "apologizing" to Georiga for the "excessive Celebration" penalty that was called. IMHO, nice of the SEC to offer an apology. Better yet, get rid of the rule. Too open to interpretation.

Florida at LSU...main question is Will Tebow play?

Pitiful officiating all day.

An interesting question may also be CAN UF WIN W/O TEBOW? I am sure he'll play, but even without him, I think we can win. We have a better D and way better STs than them. If our O can protect the ball, put up 10 earned points, and cash in on huge turnovers/STs plays, we're fine.

On the other hand, it is in Death Valley, so we are in up to our necks as it is. On the other, other hand, Gators LIVE up to their necks, so this is doable!

thejumpoff
2009-10-07, 05:43
Pitiful officiating all day.

An interesting question may also be CAN UF WIN W/O TEBOW? I am sure he'll play, but even without him, I think we can win. We have a better D and way better STs than them. If our O can protect the ball, put up 10 earned points, and cash in on huge turnovers/STs plays, we're fine.

On the other hand, it is in Death Valley, so we are in up to our necks as it is. On the other, other hand, Gators LIVE up to their necks, so this is doable!

I don't know if Tebow will play. According to NFL network this morning, Tebow is cleared to practice, but in a limited capacity. This does not bode well. If I am Urban Meyer, go with Brantley at QB, I would sit Tebow out this game (yes, I know it is LSU but I am looking down the road).

Sasky Boy
2009-10-07, 19:23
I don't know if Tebow will play. According to NFL network this morning, Tebow is cleared to practice, but in a limited capacity. This does not bode well. If I am Urban Meyer, go with Brantley at QB, I would sit Tebow out this game (yes, I know it is LSU but I am looking down the road).

Due to the nature of the injury, this is a tough one. I mean, you either should play or should not. Concussions are black-white. No offense to Michael Jackson :rolleyes: I think that if the Gators want to manipulate things and bring a couple million extra dollars on the campus, they could start with Brantley or Moodey/Rainey, then go with Tim if they need him. They could claim Tebow is 100% cleared but they did not start him because he is rusty or whatever...

Lets be honest here. If this is a one-off and he does not have a concussion history, he is probably good to go. But if he has a history, or if he gets another one soon, he is really at risk for problems a decade from now. but who knows how many concussions a QB takes in a year. It is such a dark side of our game :(:(:(

Sasky Boy
2009-10-07, 19:28
Here are a couple recent articles about the NFL's Concussion situation. It is kinda dirty. My best friend here is a concussion researcher. He does IMPACT and FMRI research with youth concussion. ON the other hand, one of our profs on campus receives NFL grants and is basically paid to refute the existence of concussions.

The NFL's own research will not stand up to criticism if there is ever a class action suit from the NFLPA. Also, those researchers might have put their careers in a bad spot, but I should probably watch what I say there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4472274

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/sports/2009/september/NFL-Study-Acknowledges-High-Risk-of-Dementia-for-Players.html

Sasky Boy
2009-10-07, 19:37
Oh boy, so here it is today from Gatorzone...

Tim Tebow Cleared To Return In Limited Capacity
Gainesville, Fla. - Tuesday October 6, 2009

Enlarge
Broadcast Information: Florida at LSU
Gators in the NFL - Week 4
Urban Meyer Press Conference Quotes
Football Game Time vs. Arkansas To Be Announced Later This Week
More Headlines
University of Florida senior quarterback Tim Tebow (Jacksonville, Fla.) was cleared to return to football practice in a limited controlled environment Tuesday afternoon, head coach Urban Meyer announced.

“Our medical team has advised us that Tim has been cleared to return to practice in a limited and controlled environment,” said Meyer. “We have followed every protocol for his clearance to return to limited practice and will continue to follow the medical protocols before he is cleared to play in a game or practice again.”

Tebow’s primary Medical Team consisted of Dr. Pete Indelicato, University of Florida Athletic Association Team Physician; Dr. Jay Clugston, University of Florida Athletic Association Team Physician and Anthony Pass, Head Athletic Trainer, University of Florida Football Team.

In addition, Dr. Patrick Jacobs, Shands at the University of Florida Neurosurgeon, Dr. Bayard Miller, Shands at the University of Florida Neurologist and Dr. Mickey Collins, Assistant Director of the Sports Medicine Concussion Program at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center served as consultants.

-UF-

I am not sure how they are being "consulted" but my previous post could be very wrong. I mean, Mickey is a thorn in the side of the NFL and of football coaches who say "it's just a headache" ... If you bring certain doctors in, you are bringing in guys who will give you a pass. Bringing in a guy like Mickey says the Gators really are putting Tebow first. Good for them.

As long as Bama and LSU keep winning, UGA goes perfect from here to the Cocktail Party, and the gators only have one loss, the SEC final WILL be a semi-final for the BCS title once again.

thejumpoff
2009-10-08, 05:12
Sasky Boy

what you said above is true. Now for my installment of "the NCAA is old-fashinoned" Here is the latest on Dez Bryant, who was ruled ineligible...rationale is the link below.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/122210-deion-in-middle-of-dez-bryant-case?eref=sihp

Sasky Boy
2009-10-08, 19:51
Great post!
1. This is stupid!
2. The NCAA is stupid!!
3. Sanders is so bad for football. Dez would have been smarter to start a dog fighting ring than to hang out with "Prime Time" ... prime time douche is what he is :(

thejumpoff
2009-10-09, 04:42
Great post!
1. This is stupid!
2. The NCAA is stupid!!
3. Sanders is so bad for football. Dez would have been smarter to start a dog fighting ring than to hang out with "Prime Time" ... prime time douche is what he is :(

To be clear, the university suspended him for lying to the NCAA. It is my understanding that Bryant did nothing wrong. Deion Sanders...his intentions are good but it is this kind of crap that tarnishes his image. I know Deion said, "I did not violate any NCAA rules. " Still I personally think it is shallow to suspend Bryant...yet the NCAA can't nab Reggie Bush.

On a side note, I came back from Philadelphia. Visited Temple Universtiy. Temple is not a football powerhouse but you should see the new business school. 90 million dollar facility...it would put UWO Ivey school of business to shame. Each study area is equipped with flat screen TV for computer screen. Stock ticker running and access to ESPN as well as all the business channels. Not sure why the news channel is FOX.

Athletically, facilities are pretty good. Philly has 6 universities...Hear it is a hoops hotbed and I met three of the cheerleaders...all were pretty cool to deal with

Sasky Boy
2009-10-09, 19:32
On Bush: You are so right!
On Temple: Hope you didn't lose your car.
FNC: With all the rest of the thinking required of these students, they don't want to overload them with excessive facts and truth. So Fox is the perfect escape from reality.

You know, they also film one of my favourite comedies there: It's always sunny in...

thejumpoff
2009-10-09, 20:42
On Bush: You are so right!
On Temple: Hope you didn't lose your car.
FNC: With all the rest of the thinking required of these students, they don't want to overload them with excessive facts and truth. So Fox is the perfect escape from reality.

You know, they also film one of my favourite comedies there: It's always sunny in...

Temple: I did not have a car. I did notice a man with a gun, one girl was grabbed by some homeless bum and I was told that Temple was located in a bad area of Philly.

FNC: I describe it as pure rubbish. Down there I did miss "Canadiana"...Dunkin Donuts is cool for one donut...and for heaven's sake...can't a guy get some decent spinach salad? Along the way, stopped at Tim Hortons around the Buffalo area...with a breakfast combo, an apple was thrown into the deal...a fresh apple....DAMN!

Tebow: latest is still not cleared to play...game time decision. Personal take....would be shocked to see Tebow play at all in this one. If Gators lose, it is a loss but I do feel they have enough to win the SEC east..may have to play LSU again or Bama in the SEC title game.

Sasky Boy
2009-10-09, 21:16
Temple is an Oasis in one of the worst, most violent and underserved places on the continent. My best buddy's advisor got her PhD at Temple. Great city, I mean no offence, but the conditions around Temple are astonishing. Sad stuff. Reparations anyone?

FNC frustrated me because it is bad for America. America would be an even greater country if they could get rid of that stuff.

Pssstttt....Jumper....I am whispering here, so listen in....I agree with you... I know this goes against the establishment, and I know this Gator-Tiger game is the biggest one of the season so far. But.....between you and I....it is meaningless. Nothing on the line here at all!

Yeah, the loser cannot afford to lose another, and definitely can't be upset, but this has no effect on anything. The SEC title game is pretty much destined to be a National semi as long as the teams are both Top 5. The BIG gator game should be the cocktail party, and LSU has to resolve the west first with Bama. Those games matter.

A loss tomorrow is still fairly early, it is against a legit top 5 opponent, and there are several huge wins available to rectify the loss. A perfect recipe for pollster forgiveness!

...unless of course there is an undefeated this year! In which case only 1 1-loss team gets in, and the SEC has no guarantee that will be them.

thejumpoff
2009-10-10, 06:44
Sasky Boy...

Yes, Temple campus is nice but I felt like I was in a prison. On the two days, it was rare to see anyone outside on the campus sitting around talking...I can see why......

Psst I agree...If I am Urban Meyer, I am sitting Tebow out. Put Brantley in to play QB. There is no need for Tebow to play. Either team better not get run off the field in this game. 8pm CBS...

Alabama at Ole Miss should be interesting as well.

Next weekend..Oklahoma-Texas...the Red River Game...should be a dandy..

marton
2009-10-10, 11:58
Next weekend..Oklahoma-Texas...the Red River Game...should be a dandy..
Indeed. I'm seriously considering missing the MtA @ Laval game to watch this one.

Well, not the tailgate... just the dismemberment of the Mighty Ducks.

thejumpoff
2009-10-10, 13:23
Indeed. I'm seriously considering missing the MtA @ Laval game to watch this one.

Well, not the tailgate... just the dismemberment of the Mighty Ducks.

I think it is a safe bet....

Sasky Boy,

The latest Tebow watch...according to ESPN college gameday and si.com...if Tebow gets the medical clearence, Tebow is starting.

Sasky Boy
2009-10-10, 18:14
Just 7 minutes to go in the first half.

It is never ever a good thing when your team dominates but has nothing to show for it. The biggest weakness in the UF offence is passing inside the 20. They are a good short and long passing team everywhere else, but can't pass great deep in the red zone. Despite having the best TE in the NCAA. Today, they are not even trying to throw off the run yet. Yet.

Also, is it just me, or wouldn't Tebow be in more trouble passing compared to running. I mean, it seems that taking a shot in the pocket is more likely to jar the skull than a shot downfield.

Sasky Boy
2009-10-10, 19:26
Gators still only up 7. This is silly. They have left a good 17 points on the field. All due credit to LSU. They are unreal on defence. But this is not how champions close out big games.

On the other hand, maybe this is why SEC teams are so good in title games--we get to practice them a few times every year.

thejumpoff
2009-10-10, 23:08
Gators win 13-3. If LSU had any competence on offence, LSU would have won.

Iowa won 30-28 in a very entertaining game.

Still, the Gators are 1, Texas 2, Alabama (who I think is playing lights out) is 3.

Sasky Boy
2009-10-11, 12:33
Refs killed the game's entertainment value.
I think we saw LSU's offence last week. It is very good. Not top 10, but this is a top 25 offence and a top 5 defence. The gator defence just made LSU look that bad. I mean, this defence is a year older than the one that made Bradford and company look offensively inept.

Amazing all round game by the gators ;)
Also, as expected, the Gator D, RBs and Hernandez at TE were the story. Having the best player in the history of college ball at QB is just the cherry on the top. I think Tebow did more between whistles than he did with his play. He made basically only one mistake the entire day. Not sure if that will get him the hype needed to win the Heisman for a second time (third in some opinions).

Gators are fortunate to be playing the hoggs next week. Even a big let down should not be enough to affect that outcome.

On another note, I was completely wrong about the Gator STs. They were not only the difference, but they failed to make a single play and were outplayed for the most part.

How USC can be ranked ahead of LSU boggles my mind. Sick. Maybe the HUGE UGA loss had an impact on people's minds.

thejumpoff
2009-10-12, 06:24
Refs killed the game's entertainment value.
I think we saw LSU's offence last week. It is very good. Not top 10, but this is a top 25 offence and a top 5 defence. The gator defence just made LSU look that bad. I mean, this defence is a year older than the one that made Bradford and company look offensively inept.

Amazing all round game by the gators ;)
Also, as expected, the Gator D, RBs and Hernandez at TE were the story. Having the best player in the history of college ball at QB is just the cherry on the top. I think Tebow did more between whistles than he did with his play. He made basically only one mistake the entire day. Not sure if that will get him the hype needed to win the Heisman for a second time (third in some opinions).

Gators are fortunate to be playing the hoggs next week. Even a big let down should not be enough to affect that outcome.

On another note, I was completely wrong about the Gator STs. They were not only the difference, but they failed to make a single play and were outplayed for the most part.

How USC can be ranked ahead of LSU boggles my mind. Sick. Maybe the HUGE UGA loss had an impact on people's minds.

I don't know why USC is ahead of LSU. Some pollsters LOVE USC. In the AP poll, to jump Alabama over Texas, I think is crazy. Only rationale I can think of is Texas was down early to Colorado but Texas came back to win. Alabama beat up on , IMHO the biggest fraud this year (Ole Miss)...all the experts were so Ole Miss this......Ole Miss....that...whatever.

This Sat. Oklahoma vs. Texas and UWO vs. Queens...should be fun....

Sasky Boy
2009-10-12, 12:05
yeah, great ball this weekend.

I think there is a drumbeat for Bama at #1, and that inched them up. Unless a team gets a huge "quality" win, I don't think they deserve to move up on higher ranked teams. The ignorance of what I just said being that such a system puts WAY too much weight on the initial "rankings" (guesses) of the media (who don't know anything) and the coaches (who don't see any of these games -- they are busy on Saturdays I hear).

Also, I think that after OSU finally almost won a bowl game and UF shut down OU's offence, the media is a little skeptical about Big 12 defence and overall quality.

Also, looking ahead, the slight drop of TX to AL helps to secure UF at #1 even if TX lights up OU. This is a fair. I aint complaining.

boysda
2009-10-13, 04:06
I came back from Philadelphia. Visited Temple Universtiy. Temple is not a football powerhouse but you should see the new business school.

i live 60 mins north of philly. if i can be of any informational assistance, let me know.