PDA

View Full Version : SMU @ X 12 SEP 09 - THE CHALLENGE

la Tuque
2009-08-31, 19:54
OK, people.

I've been biting my three toe nails for years waiting for THIS day to come: X no longer having the worst football field in the CIS.

You've seen the video. You've seen the commercials. Some of you have even seen dogs (namely huskies) too scared to poop on the new turf... :D

Now is the time to find out if the new field has a sole (and I don't mean the fish...) :cool:

My bet is that the X-Men will christen this field on September 12, 2009, with a resounding victory over one of the so-called-so-far-unproven CIS TOP 10 football teams, namely the SMUcks.

If you think otherwise & feel that the SMUcks will overcome the MIGHTY X-MEN( not ® till SFU leaves the CIS) on that historic day, then just reply to this thread & write:

I'M IN (you pick the font, colour & size)

Nothing ventured but sporting the Avatar of the winner for a week.

I am so confident that the MIGHTY X-MEN will prevail on September 12 that I convinced the St. Fx Chapter of London Alumni to invite its members to a tailgate & game viewing party that day.

Here is the invite, which is extended to forum members (lurkers will have to register to get in on the action :p):

To all London area CIS Football fans

The St. Fx Chapter of London Alumni is pleased to invite you and your family to an afternoon of football and fun, which includes a tailgate party (a BBQ and a few brews for those not familiar with the term) and the Season’s Opener of the X-Men Football Team when they christen their new synthetic field as they host the “evil” SMU Huskies. If you don’t enjoy football, come over anyway and enjoy the company.

The game will be projected from a super high speed internet connection on a big screen from the Eastlink webcast. For those concerned with problems of maintaining the feed, Plan B is to show the game using St. Fx’ own webcast which, I am told, will be in operation for the game, with play-by-play commentaries from a radio station covering the event.

The new field is a pure gem. You can see it at the link below from a camera mounted on Bloomfield Centre (best viewed during daylight; if the image cannot load, allow Active-X to run). It is expected that this camera will be disconnected at the conclusion of construction.

http://141.109.15.178/en/AViewerJ.html

Tailgate & game details:

Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009
Time: 11:30 AM - BBQs will be hot & steaming
12:30 PM - Eastlink pre-game show
1:00 PM - Kick off
4:00 PM – Game over, unless there is overtime

Location: A community center in North London, near Adelaide and Huron. As this event is by invitation only and maximum capacity for the room is 40 people (Fire Codes), additional details will be provided only to those who follow the instructions below.

No admission cost. However, we’ll accept donations to help Head Coach Gary Waterman purchase a DV Sport Video Editing System for the X-Men.

What we will provide:
• Two BBQs on wheels;
• Two outside picnic tables sitting 12 each;
• Tables & chairs in the community centre
• The game on a large projection screen
• The nice weather.

YOU BRING THE FOOD & STUFF you want to eat, including utensils & paper plates. This place is fully licensed, so bring your favourite beverage as well.

To reserve, please PM “La Tuque” soonest. LT is also inviting family members of current X-Men from this area and he will be responsible for keeping track of those attending to ensure that Fire Codes are respected.

On September 8, La Tuque will invite his good friends from the opposite team, mainly parents of SMU players as well as other CIS football parents & fans, if there is still room available. They won’t be asked to donate money for the team, but will be expected to buy a round… :D

Hail and Health & GO X GO
FYI, I personally invited BigJake last Friday & he's still deciding whether he'll go to a "Gaylord" function at the Hermitage Club (worth searching this, friends :) ). His Bride will likely be at the game, God love her :D ;)

I can't wait till September 8 to post this as I'm leaving early on Thursday to be in Montreal & watch McGill beat the crap out of the Carabums, then on to Quebec City on Sunday to witness the Red And/Or's first loss of the season to the Bumble Bees...

Should the Mighty X-Men lose their historic opener, I swear that I will wait at least four hours before posting again on dot.org :D

Spud
2009-09-03, 15:57
XFans have been eating their catch out of the swamp again......you can always tell when they eat those Frogs with 9 legs that glow in the dark....they get all crazy and start talking about winning football games.

Someone remind me the last time SMU lost to X? I said lost, don't go telling me how close the game was, or what team you beat that had a cousin, who lived next door to a player that new a a guy who paved the driveway of a guy who lived in the house of a team that beat SMU.:D

More to come LT......;)

Cstbrophy
2009-09-03, 16:35
The old field was the only weapon that X ever had against SMU. this should be like a home game for SMU.

I'm in.

Mrs Trk
2009-09-03, 18:23
I'M IN.

And this won't be just any sissy 2-point win over the X-cites. This win will wipe out any remaining "but we almost won...twice" delusions. It's gonna hurt. It's gonna reset ya and reboot ya. All gone.

Before ya get too high'n'mighty, ya might want to search out the answer to "so just how hard IS it to win a game on a new, artificial field in the AUS? Hmmm?

Game on!

two four
2009-09-04, 08:25
Blake Nill's last game in the Nish must have escaped some SMU fans! He left SMU on the same sour note he left X...with an L in a playoff game.....bioth happened on the old turf...or whatever you chose to call it!!

Cstbrophy
2009-09-04, 22:45
blake who? X still sucks now that he is in calgary.

oh i see. X hasn't won since blake nill left.

500tonelevators
2009-09-07, 07:59
Congrats to X on the new field

la Tuque
2009-09-07, 09:21
Never made it to the McGill @ Carabums game. Darn train almost left the tracks between Brockville @ Cornwall. Engineers got suspended for speeding @ had to wait over 3 hours to get new drivers. Almost had a mutiny from all the smokers on board. True story :mad:

Then, my drive to go to the Laval game didn't show up - forgot about the game :mad: So I watched it on TV. It was obvious that the Bumble Bees had copied the 2004 to 2008 playbook from X & couldn't executed it any better than them :cool:

Thank good we'll see some real CIS football next Satrurday...

Got to go. My ride to the laval game just showed up...:D

la Tuque
2009-09-09, 05:38
Back in London to set things up for the tailgate. Thinking of marinating hot dogs or something. The road kills I picked up on the Via rail trip wouldn't pass the "smell" test since the disappearance of swamp gas at the 'Nish... :)

Not surprisingly, neither one of the two SMU fans in the London area have confirmed yet :cool:

As far as the game goes, I can understand that SMU fans would feel confident, knowing that the X-Men have yet to practice on their new field. What they're not prepared for is the fact that the new field comes with a new X team, lead by a hungry new head coach who has yet to win a football game, who will be counting on a new playbook that has yet to be leaked to SMU (that's what I'm told anyway :D) and a bunch of renewed players eager to fix the near misses from previous seasons.

I won't bore you with predictions for the game, but the Victory party starts at 4:05 PM local & I'm buying :D

X-Mum
2009-09-09, 08:14
I SECOND LT'S CHALLENGE!!

I'm so in!!

la Tuque
2009-09-09, 08:29
...I'm so in!!
:D :D :D

Glad to hear you'll be at the London tailgate & get to meet a bunch of London X Alumni & parents of players.

It WILL be a good time :D ;)

professor x
2009-09-09, 13:16
I'm in :)

However -- I have very tempered expectations. Regardless of the outcome, I will consider this week's result positive if the X team that walks off the field Saturday was a) competitive and b) in a position to win the game.

SMU will be very tough team this year...I believe nationally competitive once again and even more so than last year. The main advantage they have going into this game is continuity. Same talented staff that are tried and true, running the same systems that have won championships in the past, using a very talented roster.

I believe that X is definitely talented and experienced enough to win. I also know the coaching staff at X have put in a lot of hard work. The chemistry on the team is great too. There will be some great hitting in this game :D

X will also have a certain degree of surprise on their side (what will the new offense look like?). On the other hand, they also have to begin the process of gaining experience with the new system, and that can often be a painful process.

Should be a good one!! and I hope X takes full advantage of the homefield first game.

la Tuque
2009-09-09, 13:47
Prof: I take exception to your post. This is not the darn LOS, for Pete's sake... :mad:

This is the place

where you tell the SMUcks they'll be lucky if they score 1/10 or even 1/100 of the points than the Stingers scored against Laval last week :D

where you write that the snap, crackle and pop heard on the OLine will not come from rice crispies, but from hurting SMUcks facing the X-Men...

where you make them realize that Wineskin took the right course of action by disappearing before facing public humiliation...

where you post like you're still feeling the after-effects of years of sniffing swamp gas...

where the X-Men are and will remain unbeatable until the opening kick-off

So, please delete your last post & replace it with something that reflects your overwhelming confidence in the X-Men squashing the SMUcks :D ;)

Bizz
2009-09-09, 13:55
I wish X to visit the PEPS this year. :)

two four
2009-09-09, 14:01
I wish X to visit the PEPS this year. :)

Moi aussi!!!

Spud
2009-09-09, 16:29
I'M IN!!!

SMU by 17......I hope X bought lots of blue paint remover!!!:D

Congrats on the new rug,.....I am looking forward to watching the game on Eastlink!!!:D

X-Mum
2009-09-10, 03:47
I'm in :)
However -- I have very tempered expectations. Regardless of the outcome, I will consider this week's result positive if the X team that walks off the field Saturday was a) competitive and b) in a position to win the game.

Prof: We've been comptetitive and in a position to win the game too many times in the last few years. And it has gotten us nowhere, and given us no advantage on this board. There is no room for "however" in this field of Personal Fouls. This year we can have but one goal...we WIN! Who cares how pretty we look doing it? One thing I have oft noticed about SMU and LAVAL - they're UGLY! Lets get down and dirty with the boys from Halifax. Smelling bad is not good enough!! This year we leave "pretty" to the field we play on! This year we dominate in the UGLY department...and we WIN!

WILSON
2009-09-10, 03:54
I am in, I am taking SMU, no just a sec I am taking X, no just a sec, I think I will stay with Laval..... Prof you look uncertain about X chance against SMU, you knwo something you not telling?

two four
2009-09-10, 04:16
If you noticed he has 'continuity' bolded in his post which would seem to say that he's not sure how the team will adapt to coach Waterman's system and style. We'll know shortly. From what I've seen, the mood is among the players is very positive....

la Tuque
2009-09-10, 07:50
Just received the game plan by special delivery. Hilites as follows:

Go for 2 point convert on all TDs
End of first quarter or whenever X leads 24 - 0: Throw in the rookies on OLine
End of first half: DLine to shower & move to the stands to enjoy the game
End of 3rd quarter: only rookies & 2nd year players on the field. Instruct SMU bus driver to start its engine for quick getaway
Last 5 minutes of the game: Issue helmets & pads to cheer leaders

Game focus: win 54 - 0 to pee off Marton :D :D :D

professor x
2009-09-11, 11:28
Prof: We've been comptetitive and in a position to win the game too many times in the last few years. And it has gotten us nowhere, and given us no advantage on this board. There is no room for "however" in this field of Personal Fouls. This year we can have but one goal...we WIN! Who cares how pretty we look doing it? One thing I have oft noticed about SMU and LAVAL - they're UGLY! Lets get down and dirty with the boys from Halifax. Smelling bad is not good enough!! This year we leave "pretty" to the field we play on! This year we dominate in the UGLY department...and we WIN!

:D:D:D You're right X-Mum, my tempered approach has no place in the Personal Fouls. I've forgotten myself!! I want X to win just as much as any blue blood...especially against this group of foul-smelling classless bunch of SMUcks :D ;)

professor x
2009-09-11, 11:38
If you noticed he has 'continuity' bolded in his post which would seem to say that he's not sure how the team will adapt to coach Waterman's system and style. We'll know shortly. From what I've seen, the mood is among the players is very positive....

24 is right. I would stress that it's not concern about Waterman's system. Any time there is transition, there's just a lot of things that need to fall into place before you can start expecting success. Examples? -- Rich Rodriguez is a great head coach who runs a great system, and one that was well proven at the NCAA Division I Level before he showed at Michigan. Look what happened his first year there?

X-men Pride
2009-09-11, 12:09
Three words for all the SMUcks out there.

JUST BRING IT!

It's game time baby, open the brew and pass it on down. Let's get it on!

X by 12+

la Tuque
2009-09-11, 12:23
... It's game time baby, open the brew and pass it on down. Let's get it on!

X by 12+
Will you be at the London tailgate & game viewing tomorrow? X-Fans will be coming from as far away as Sarnia and Barrie (X-Mum :)).

I'll be there at 10:30 to set things up. I'm still looking for a short-order cook with experience in road-kills for what the out-of-towners will bring :D

X-men Pride
2009-09-11, 12:34
I'll be there with bells on or just an X hat (well actually more than just a hat). If you need a hand I would glad to lend a hand. I hope everyone likes the road kill "charred"

Just kidding, however I'll try and be there by 11:00 AM.

C' ya

la Tuque
2009-09-11, 12:43
... C' ya
Sounds great. I'll bring some hot dogs

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i147/gilles999/dog5.jpg

and the BBQ will be ready... :D

http://lrg.zpcdn.com/0/1556/9964771.1d9672.jpg

la Tuque
2009-09-12, 04:05
Well, no more dodos left :)

I slept like a baby, dreaming about Wineskin watching the game in the stands and marvelling about the new field... :eek:

Nothing left to say to friends and foes but ENJOY THE GAME AND SUPPORT YOUR TEAM.

Whatever the outcome, the trip getting there was really a fun time. The day has come for the teams to perform. The fans (well, X fans anyway :D ) have done their part.

I'll be going to church before the tailgate & pray real hard that I retain my Avatar for another week... :D

la Tuque
2009-09-12, 07:28
All set up for the game. Eastling feed is the best I've ever seen. So, non-AUS fans:

KEEP OFF
:D :D :D

Spud
2009-09-12, 12:13
Great Game X, they showed they are for real this season, Congrats on the win on the new Rug!!!

Now SMU needs to work out some kinks......there are two teams in the AUS this season!!!:cool:

marton
2009-09-12, 12:27
Looking good Spud. :cool:

Spud
2009-09-12, 14:19
MartEn said:

Looking Good Spud

Shhhhhhhh...........nobody is supposed to recognize me.......call be Bob for now.;):D

la Tuque
2009-09-12, 14:52
Hey Spud (and other SMUck Fans reading this),

Just got home from the victory party (which I predicted, if I may add :D )

My X buddies & I don't feel that you should humiliate yourself this week by sporting an X Avatar 'cause it was a given that X would win today... :D

Instead, we'd appreciate if you sported a Redmen Avatar this week, in recognition to their outstanding performance against the V & O. We feel that the time has come for Redmen fans to realize that we're tickle pink about their victory & wish them many more this year, as long as it's not against AUS teams :D

I'll sport their Avatar this week. Plse join me in supporting them ;)

X-men Pride
2009-09-12, 17:18
Hey Spud is that two (2) B's and one (1) O. Spelt the same way backwards. just don't switch the letters to OBO or OOB. Not that we're dancing tonight, but darn close. LT thanks for a great day today.

Salut

X-Mum
2009-09-13, 12:07
I had a great afternoon watching the game with you London X-fans. I'm soooo glad that I don't have t wear a SMU avatar!

On another topic, I'm trying to watch rugby on SSN and cannot seem to get the connection to play. I'm not getting an error message, but just like yesterday during the x-smu game, I get the screen and nothing plays. Does anyone know how to watch a game on SSN? It's not as easy as it should be...

professor x
2009-09-13, 13:41
I had a great afternoon watching the game with you London X-fans. I'm soooo glad that I don't have t wear a SMU avatar!

On another topic, I'm trying to watch rugby on SSN and cannot seem to get the connection to play. I'm not getting an error message, but just like yesterday during the x-smu game, I get the screen and nothing plays. Does anyone know how to watch a game on SSN? It's not as easy as it should be...

You might try using Firefox as your browser to watch it, in case you're using Internet explorer. Depending on the computer you use, browsers have various "plug-ins" in order to watch video online. Depending on how the video is uploaded and streamed, you might have a compatible plug-in on one browser, and not on another.

Alternatively -- if you're watching an older game and not one that is being streamed live, you might have to wait for a while before the video is uploaded. The video can still appear as if it's there (no error message), but nothing will load. It can generally be anywhere from a few hours to several days after the game. If you're bored, you can rewatch the X vs SMU now :D

Cstbrophy
2009-09-13, 16:46
congrats X. I'm going to start worrying soon.

la Tuque
2009-09-14, 10:04
Never made it to the McGill @ Carabums game. Darn train almost left the tracks between Brockville @ Cornwall. Engineers got suspended for speeding @ had to wait over 3 hours to get new drivers. Almost had a mutiny from all the smokers on board. True story :mad:

Where the smokers ended up: baggage car :D. Via should thank the Chief Conductor for averting a mutiny :cool:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i147/gilles999/CIS%20posts%202/MontrealSep09009_edited.jpg

Even the sausage dog had a chance to stretch its legs

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i147/gilles999/CIS%20posts%202/MontrealSep09011_edited.jpg

la Tuque
2009-09-14, 10:12
Here are a few X Alumni, parents & fans at the game.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i147/gilles999/CIS%20posts%202/SMUX12Sep09003.jpg

The rest got tired of walking up to the screen & wait for the Eastlink signal to kick back in :D

A quick note to young SMU fans attending X games when it's sunny: please read the instructions that come with your ball cap :D

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i147/gilles999/CIS%20posts%202/sunineyes.jpg