PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

boysda
2009-07-27, 10:38
Hailing from the lower 48. Being as i have an unhealthy fixation with (in order of importance)
-tim hortons
-St Huberts
-healthcare that works, and
-not invading other sovereign nations;

i have developed an unusual degree of affection for all my brothers in the "true north strong and free". probably as a direct result of this, my oldest son (age 15) seems determined to attend university in Canada. I have therefore been lurking around the board for a while to get my arms around CIS football, and decided to take the plunge and join.

greetings, well met, and hope you guys don't hold 2 or 3 misguided invasion attempts by my motherland against me.

Spud
2009-07-27, 11:20
Welcome aboard boysda, we have a number of proud US moms and dads that hang out on this site....all are welcome. There are some great Canadian Schools for your kids to choose from.....might I suggest a smaller school in Atlantic Canada........:)

3 Down football is a great game.;)

la Tuque
2009-07-27, 13:33
Welcome aboard. You'll probably fit in eventually if you extend your Tim Horton's fixation to include what is served with it at The Pub.. :) ;)

Re the misguided invasions: We liked it so much that we built our whole tourist industry on getting repeatedly invaded by you guys...:D

One thing we're a bit sensitive about is religion, and most of us believe in this:

"Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right."

Many parents of football players on this site, and not necessarily the most tempered ones either (temper, like in temperance...).

Spud should have written: 3 Down football at 30 below is a great game :D

marton
2009-07-27, 14:01
Hailing from the lower 48. Being as i have an unhealthy fixation with (in order of importance)
-tim hortons
-St Huberts
-healthcare that works
Won't comment on the healthcare thing, but you're missing Ashton's poutine in there. Make sure you try it if you ever visit Quebec City.

Welcome aboard!

boysda
2009-07-27, 14:15
spud
"might I suggest a smaller school in Atlantic Canada........:)"

St Mary's is a great shool with a fine reputation, unfortunately my wife al already hyperventilating at the thought of her baby going 8 hours away. it's taken all of my considerable lobbying skills to get her to agree to explore Canadian schools.

Marton:
"you're missing Ashton's poutine in there"
my bad. i have experienced it, and believe that if God eats, he or she would eat Ashton's poutine.

la tuque
"Re the misguided invasions: We liked it so much that we built our whole tourist industry on getting repeatedly invaded by you guys...:D"
that's just plain funny:D:D:D

cjstora
2009-07-27, 14:32
Welcome aboard, and if you're ever on a recruiting trip to Halifax, I'll treat you to the fine culinary delight that is the unique, delicious and addictive donair.

Bizz
2009-07-27, 14:45
Since when Mexico is 8 hours away from Canada ??? ;) ;)

Bienvenue Boysda !!

boysda
2009-07-27, 14:55
Since when Mexico is 8 hours away from Canada ??? ;) ;)

Bienvenue Boysda !!

i will send you the dry cleaning bill for the coffee i just spit out on my suit:D

boysda
2009-07-27, 15:01
Welcome aboard, and if you're ever on a recruiting trip to Halifax, I'll treat you to the fine culinary delight that is the unique, delicious and addictive donair.

and i will take you up on that, if we go. i truly appreciate the offer.

the boy has brains, size, strength and talent (although he hasn't yet grown into his body, and runs like big bird in shower shoes), but we'll see if he continues to develop to the level where he could play in the CIS. i obviously hope so. Regardless, he's very interested in attending University in Canada, and if he can continue playing ball, that would be just be an added bonus.

X-Mum
2009-08-05, 06:44
In my experience, most parents on this board (myself included) are rather biased regarding our kids' prospects WRT football and academics. Therefore, I feel that you - who appear to have a reasonable perspective about your son's future - may be a bit out of place here.

If you stay - Welcome! But if you go - considering your reasonable attitude, we will not think less of you!

Regarding the 8 hours away thing for a great university experience....my drive is 20 hours and I wouldn't change it for the world! Trust me, the down east small town experience is worth it if the school fits the student, and there's nothing better than Nova Scotia hospitality in my opinion! (Although I'm not sure God thinks favourably upon the provence given the amount of rain he sends there).

GO - X - GO !!

two four
2009-08-05, 12:46
Welcome Boysda!!!

Antigonish IS God's country!!! And it's about 90F here and sunny right now!!!

boysda
2009-08-05, 13:50
- who appear to have a reasonable perspective about your son's future
GO - X - GO !!

i hail from Steelers/Pens country...i can be completely unreasonable

and two-four, it's 72 in pittsburgh today. wanna swap?

GoldenHawkfan
2009-08-05, 14:15
Welcome aboard! Best of luck in figuring out what school your son wants to attend, I suggest you take it all in (not just the football but the school itself) because it is important to make sure every part of the experience is the best one can get. There are many great schools in Canada I have no doubt that you'll both find the perfect fit, school and team-wise.

And feel free to jump into any discussion you'd like as well on here, all are definitely welcome!

22yearsLater
2009-08-07, 10:16
Welcome to the board :)