The Franchise
2009-07-24, 03:27
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/sports/article/737896

Football Mounties add large recruiting class
Published Thursday July 23rd, 2009
2009 class sports 16 conference all-stars
B1
Times & Transcript Staff
SACKVILLE - The Mount Allison Mounties' 2009 recruiting class features players from across the country.
The Atlantic University Sport football conference club, which announced its recruiting class this week, has much needed depth at several positions, along with players who might expect to compete right away.

The 2009 class sports 16 conference all-stars. Highlighting this year's class are two linebackers, a quarterback, a defensive tackle and several offensive linemen.

"We were fortunate to find many players who epitomize what we are looking for in a football player at Mount Allison," Mounties head coach Kelly Jeffrey said in a news release.

"This class is extremely talented but also committed to academics and to being part of a team atmosphere."
Mount Allison finished third with a 2-6 regular record and made only its second AUS playoff appearance in the past 10 years in 2008. The Mounties lost 52-12 to the St. Francis Xavier X-Men in the conference semifinal.

Mount Allison has added Etienne Dupont, a transfer from the Universitι de Montreal who is expected to be a key addition to the defensive line. After losing two starting defensive tackles to graduation, the team will look to the 6-foot-3, 290-pound Dupont to fill the void.

At linebacker, the Mounties are bringing in Alex Hebb of Fall River, N.S. and Shane McGilly of Niagra Falls, Ont. Hebb was a conference co-most valuable player on defence and a two-time Nova Scotia School Athletic Federation all-star. McGilly is a former high school bench record holder (365 pounds), was nominated for offensive and defensive player of the year and captained his team for the past two years.

Mount Allison has also signed Edmonton quarterback Jake Hotchkiss. The 6-foot-5 lefty is expected to push for playing time right away.

Other offensive recruits include quarterback Ewen Coles of Dartmouth, N.S., running backs Nathan Zavarella of Beamsville, Ont. and Michael Cote of Rothesay, receivers Stuart Moore, Marcus Eaton and Darko Stasevic, all of Halifax, Anthony Pickard of Riverview, Nick McCloud of Beamsville, Ont., Ryan Brady of Oakville, Ont. and Mike Lowe of Langley, B.C., kicker/punter Adam Konkle of Whitby, Ont. and linemen Nick Jones and Bryan MacEachern of Truro, N.S., Alex Healy of Mississauga, Ont., Andrew Gillingham of Fredericton, Matt Hood of Lower Sackville, N.S., Mat de Leseleuc of Orleans, Ont., Marc Desjardins of Drummondville, Que., Lake Conklin of Fall River, N.S., Ronald Painter of Pennfield, N.B. and Alex Forbes of Coldbrook, N.S.

Defensive recruits include linebackers Patrick Hodd of Dieppe, Alexander Locke of Hampton, Mike Byrne of Halifax and James Wilde of Fredericton, linemen Chris Wilson of Sackville, Jacques Melanson of St-Antoine, Josh Chrvala of Halifax, David Lacey of Timberlea, N.S., Deven Spencer of Eastern Passage, N.S. and Rakai Augustus of Bermuda and defensive backs Tyler Nadolny of Sackville, Stuart Murray of Riverview, Luke Belding of Sussex, Chad Smith of Dartmouth, N.S. and Jonathan Moffatt of Truro, N.S.

fifty-six
2009-07-24, 04:12
Tough not to be excited for these boys. Class looks deep. When does camp start?

Sylven
2009-07-24, 05:15
Etienne Dupont was listed as an offensive lineman in Montreal's 2008 roster but he didn't play a single game last season. He also played OL for his cegep AA division 1 team (St-Jean-sur-Richelieu Geants). I don't think he was in the Carabins's plans any longer with the recruiting of five OL this winter (including former cegep AAA all-star Alexis Rousseau-Saine and Simon Legare). And surprisingly, Dupont was listed at 5'11" last year not 6'3", unless he has grown 4 inches in a year...

Marc Desjardins is another OL from the Drummondville Voltigeurs, a cegep AA division 2 team (a level below cegep AAA and cegep AA divison 1). Quebec teams rarely recruit cegep AA division 2 players.

Storm
2009-07-24, 05:32
There have been a number of articles in the Halifax, Moncton and Sackville papers regarding recruits. Here is a list of the recruits mentioned in these papers.

Andrew Gillingham - OL - Fredericton - 6’3” 275 lbs

Matt Hood - OL - Sackville High School - 6’1 280 lbs

Nick Jones - OL CEC Truro - 6’4” 280 lbs

Alex Healy - OL - Mississauga Ontario - 6’3’ 275 lbs

Bryan MacEachern - OL - CEC Cougars - 6’5” 250 lbs

Marc DesJardins - OL - CEGEP - 6’0” 260 lbs

Mathieu De Lιsιleuc - OL - Ottawa 6’0” 260lbs

Lake Conklin - OL - Fall River - 6’0” 230 lbs

Alex Forbes OL - Horton High School

Jake Hotchkiss - QB - Edmonton Wildcats - 6’5” 200 lbs

Ewen Coles - QB - Dartmouth HIgh School - 5’11 185 lbs

Stu Moore - WR - Citadel High School - 5’11” 160 lbs

Anthony Pickard - WR- Riverview High School 6’4” 200 lbs

Ryan Brady - WR - Guelph

Marcus Eaton - WR - Sir John A - 5’8” 175 lbs

Darko Stasevic - WR Citadel High School - 5’10 175 lbs

Tony Pritchard - WR - Riverview High School

Nick McCloud - WR - York University

Mike Lowe - WR - Langley BC

Nate Zavarella - RB - Beamsville Ontario 5”10” 210 lbs

Leeroy Williams - RB - Burlington Braves.

Mike Cote - RB Rothesay High School

Etienne Dupont - DL University of Montreal - 6'0" 290 lbs

Devin Spencer - DL - Cole Harbour - 6’1” 220 lbs

Chris Wilson - DL - Tantramar - 5’11” 310 lbs

Rakai Augustus - DL - Bermuda - 6’2 305 lbs

Josh Chrvala - DL - Halifax - 6’2” 260 lbs

David Lacey - DL - Sir John A - 6’1” 220 lbs

Jacques Melanson - DL - St. Antoine

Shane McGilly - LB - St Paul’s - 6’3” 225 lbs

Alex Hebb - LB - Sackville High School - 6’0” 215 lbs

Mike Byrne - LB - Citadel High School - 6’1 210 lbs

James Wilde - LB Leo Hayes

Patrick Hodd - LB - Mathieu Martin

Alexander Locke - LB - Hampton High School - 6’1” 180 lbs

Ben Leger - LB - NacNaughton High School - 6’1” 195 lbs

Tyler Nadolny - DB - Tantramar - 5’9” 175 lbs

Jonathom Moffatt - DB - CEC Truro - 6’0” 180 lbs

Stuart Murray - DB - Riverview High School

Chad Smith - DB - Cole Harbour High School

Luke Balding - DB - Sussex high School

Mike Cardoloni - DB - CEC Truro - 5’8” 160 lbs

Adam Konkle - K - OVFL PIckering Dolphins

Matt Archibald - K - Riverview High School

The Franchise
2009-07-24, 05:55
Quebec teams rarely recruit cegep AA division 2 players.

and your point is....??

Sylven
2009-07-24, 06:03
There is no point, I was just stating some facts and also trying to give a little more information about the two Quebec players in the list.

The Franchise
2009-07-24, 06:25
There is no point, I was just stating some facts and also trying to give a little more information about the two Quebec players in the list.

Sounded like you were taking a shot to me. Stating that Quebec schools don't recruit from this inferior league and that is why he choose Mta. Perhaps I misunderstood.

Sylven
2009-07-24, 08:00
Sorry, that was not my intention. As I said, I was only trying to provide some insight about these two Quebec players for the Mount Allison fans. I would have liked to say they are top recruits but that's unfortunately not the case from what I know. Most probably the other players in the list are of higher talent except I don't know them since they don't come from Quebec. I guess I better abstain from commenting Quebec recruits in the future...

two four
2009-07-24, 08:15
I guess I better abstain from commenting Quebec recruits in the future...

I don't mind hearing constructive comments.

Le Mount A Twin
2009-07-24, 08:34
Sorry, that was not my intention. As I said, I was only trying to provide some insight about these two Quebec players for the Mount Allison fans. I would have liked to say they are top recruits but that's unfortunately not the case from what I know. Most probably the other players in the list are of higher talent except I don't know them since they don't come from Quebec. I guess I better abstain from commenting Quebec recruits in the future...
I wouldn't sweat it, Sylven. Whether the two QC players or the others on the list are top recruits or not does not matter at this point. What does matter is how they will develop with Mount A.

I trust Coach Jeffrey's recruiting judgement & the ability of the coaching staff to bring them to where they want them. I'm looking forward to watch these kids on the field.

22yearsLater
2009-07-24, 09:20

I coach a summer rep program here in London and some of our best players come from traditionally weak high school teams. In fact probably the best player I have ever coached (Austin Pasztor - youngest player to ever start for an NCAA Div. 1a team) played for the worst team in the worst division in the area.

Football is a team sport and a team can have several outstanding athletes without winning, as a coach you can't ignore outstanding athletes no matter where they come from, if they are raw and need some work, well coach them up.

Having never seen any of these players play, I cannot comment on the quality of Mt. A's recruiting class, but my experience tells me that "diamonds in the rough" are not nearly as rare as most people think.

Storm
2009-07-24, 09:28
Well said 22Yearslater!

There is no doubt that these players will develop at different rates.

That being said there are a number of these recruits who will challenge for playing time early on in their university careers. I believe I read in one of these articles that there were 16 or so conference all-stars on this list with some of these all-stars winning provincial awards as outstanding player at their position.

I agree with your diamonds in the rough analogy. It will be interesting to see how things unfold. The mounties have certainly recruited depth at all positions.

two four
2009-07-24, 09:59
A former coach at X told me that a lot of times he would get a positive surprise in camp. Paul Carty, former CIS rookie of the year was to some degree a great surprise and Derrek Martin, QB'ed an Atlantic/Uteck Bowl champ in jis 2nd year came from a program where they almost never threw the ball. So, I wouldn't make any rash judgements.

Maybe comments like that will fuel them to succeed!

footer
2009-07-24, 12:39
Actually,Quebec universities recruit many players from AA.That icludes Laval.If you scan any rosters of Quebec University football teams,you will see many AA players.Players quite often play football nearest their home towns.One of the best Offensive Lineman I have ever witnessed at the University level was a Tier AA player.So that "statement-theory"goes out the window.

marton
2009-07-24, 13:54
Actually,Quebec universities recruit many players from AA.That icludes Laval.If you scan any rosters of Quebec University football teams,you will see many AA players.Players quite often play football nearest their home towns.One of the best Offensive Lineman I have ever witnessed at the University level was a Tier AA player.So that "statement-theory"goes out the window.
There are indeed many very good players coming out of AA programs but what Sylven rightly pointed out was there are comparatively a lot more coming out of division 1 than out of the weaker division 2.

Spud
2009-07-25, 03:39
Looks good for the Mounties....Hopefully they will have a large camp this year.

osprey
2009-07-25, 07:01
If you're watching the Mount A recruiting class, keep an eye on Shane McGilly.

He was heavily recruited in Ontario, and McMaster thought that they had him; on another thread we have:

Some more recruiting news as posted by "Niagara Coach" on the ACG site.

Shane McGilly SB- Mac- Committed: highly skilled SB with the size and strength to be good right away.

Here we see:

McGilly is a former high school bench record holder (365 pounds), was nominated for offensive and defensive player of the year and captained his team for the past two years.

With size, strength, speed and athletic ability, this guy is a good one whom MAC was sorry to lose. Whatever his situation, he chose the combination of educational/athletic environment at Mount A, and good luck to him.

I'm sure he'll be a real contributor, and part of a team which will surprise a few people this year (and next, etc.).

Storm
2009-07-25, 08:02
I've also heard that Lee Roy Williams can play. He played QB, RB and receiver with the Burliongton Braves. There are numerous all-stars and players of the year at their respective position on this list.

Spud was hoping they had a good sized camp. I believe i read in one article that they are expecting 90 player give or take few each side of 90.

Spud
2009-07-25, 10:16
Spud was hoping they had a good sized camp. I believe i read in one article that they are expecting 90 player give or take few each side of 90.

90 Players, that would be good and healthy.......I remember with some sadness the year that they only had 46 show up to camp.......but that is in the past.....the future is looking bright for the Mounties!

The Phantom
2009-07-25, 16:24
Speaking of diamonds in the rough, I was at a golf fundraiser on Thursday in which a well respected high school coach from Burlington sat at the same table. We had a conversation about the same item. He stated that each team has a real good athlete who has the ability to go on play at the university level. His example was the Mount A running back star from the late 80's - Grant Keaney who came from a program in the Toronto area that was more often than not on the losing end of the score. And if any of the faithful can remember, Grant scored the "fumble rusky" touchdown in the 1991 Vanier Cup for Mount A.

two four
2009-07-26, 16:29
Yes and he visited all 4 AUS schools & MtA was the only one interested!

peter.gryphon
2009-07-26, 16:54
Three of the Mt A recruits are from the Niagara region. They come from two of the areas better programs and should have received some good coaching. St Paul's competes in Niagara's top league - Div 1. Beamsville District S.S. is one of the top programs in the Varsity league. Both schools have turned out lots of CIS talent. I believe Guelph's All Canadian receiver Jed Gardner is from St Paul's. Record setting QB Tom Dennison (Queen's) and Hamilton Tiger-Cat OL George Hudson are Beamsville grads.

Shane McGilly was a St Paul team captain but the Defensive Player-of-the-Year was Mac recruit Jamie Singleton. McGilly played with the Niagara Spears JV team a couple years ago, but I don't believe he ever went out for the Varsity team.

Nathan Zavarella did play the past two summers for the Spears Varsity squad in the OVFL. He had a back-up role in 2008. This season he was more prominent, though carries were split among 4 RBs. Records show him playing in 7 of 9 games but all his stats came from 5 games. He had 46 carries for 174 yds; longest 11 yds; picked up 8 firstdowns. He also caught 5 passes for 106 yards & one TD.

In just the past two years the Spears have had at least six players have impact freshman seasons in the OUA. John Surla & Jeremy Hipperson at UWO. Ryan Chmielski (sp?) at McMaster. And, three freshman starters at Guelph - CB Sebastian Howard, S Jordan Duncan & LB Mike Millar.

Friday's Niagara Falls Review lists many recruits from that city & Pt Colborne heading to CIS schools this season. Mac & Guelph :) pick up the most commitments, followed by Mt.A, StFX, UofT, WLU & Waterloo.

See www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1670642 (http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1670642) .

osprey
2009-07-27, 09:34
Peter.gryphon

Thanks for the link to the article --- I was wondering what happened to Nick Oreskovich.

Looks good!