PDA

View Full Version : Stand Up! Worth seeing

two four
2009-03-27, 08:29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK5ww3-bGeM

blueberry
2009-03-27, 09:19
And this has something to with football because...

two four
2009-03-27, 09:44
Tough people fight (and die for our country) and many in the football community look at unwavering loyalty to Canada and the willingness to sacrfice themselves for their fellow man as admirable traits.

There are a lot of similarities between service personnel and most football players. The difference being the ultimate sacrfice. Many paid tribute to Pat Tillman on here a few years ago...this is closer to home!

Hopefully you'll stand up too!

MAJJAK
2009-03-27, 10:18
Great song. (Originally US I believe.) Great tribute.

informed
2009-03-27, 10:19
well said 24, This has everything to do with football and everything else we love in this Country. If you dont know that you should look for somewhere else to live....

cjstora
2009-03-27, 12:24
And this has something to with football because...

Not only because the cause they're fighting for touches everybody's lives, but because some of the boys we watched grow into men as they spent four years in university playing football are joining the armed forces, and because there has been a long history of involvement between the armed forces and a great many varsity athletics programs - especially football, and because some of the coaches now involved in the game have served and were lucky enough to come back home, and because some parents of some of the players are veterans and deserve our respect more than just on Remembrance Day.

And because you're a Canadian.

That's why.

two four
2009-03-27, 12:48
Not only because the cause they're fighting for touches everybody's lives, but because some of the boys we watched grow into men as they spent four years in university playing football are joining the armed forces, and because there has been a long history of involvement between the armed forces and a great many varsity athletics programs - especially football, and because some of the coaches now involved in the game have served and were lucky enough to come back home, and because some parents of some of the players are veterans and deserve our respect more than just on Remembrance Day.

And because you're a Canadian.

That's why.

AMEN! Bro...

alavalfan
2009-03-27, 16:14
And this has something to with football because...Amen...

Sasky Boy
2009-03-27, 16:35
well said 24, This has everything to do with football and everything else we love in this Country. If you dont know that you should look for somewhere else to live....

I am not commenting on the link here, but I have to suggest that you are not in charge of deciding who should live in Canada and who should leave. That kinda patriotic crap and the whole "I am a proud and good citizen, you aren't" is pretty dumb. It is more common in America, and probably not a habit we need to develop. It is kinda immature too: like a patriotic dick measuring contest.

If you don't like what I am saying, maybe you should move to another country!

See how dumb that sounds?

As for our soldiers. Not all serve with equal honour. Not every one of them deserves the same respect. We are indebted to many of them. The few who disgrace the uniform and nation should be publicized more so that they can keep their closet clean. Tillman is obviously not Canadian, but he as mentioned earlier. It still annoys me that the circumstances of his death are still unclear. Bad cover-up there -- it tarnishes him unfairly.

Sasky Boy
2009-03-27, 16:48
I am going to offer the following ratings:
The song = 2/10
The Images = 11/10
The Event (the precession and the idea to post it on youtube) = 20 out of 10

Really good. Maybe not where it is posted, but thanks for posting it. By the way, isn't it funny that the video mentions freedom so often, and yet many of the pictures would be banned in America, and would have been banned in Canada had Harper won a majority!

cjstora
2009-03-27, 18:08
Sasky Boy, I understand your points, and believe me, I agree with your opinion on the music. Even the original version is a truly unfortunate creation that makes me cringe every time I hear it.

I don't go along with the "love it or get out" philosophy, but you have to admit that Canadians supporting their troops' efforts in Afghanistan is a world away from the American "Ye'r with us or ye'r agin' us" attitude toward Iraq, that really is nationalism moreso than patriotism.

"Support" for the troops is a blended term. There is "operational support", in which we ensure the soldiers have what they need to do the task they've been charged with. There is "principle support" which describes the degree with which we agree with the reason why they're there, and then there's "moral support" which describes the degree with which we condone their actions while deployed. Our troops are our most visible ambassadors. Much of the international reputation that Canada enjoys nowadays is due to the valiant efforts from the Canadians in the Great Wars and other conflicts, but moreso modernly with the Peacekeeper role developed by Pearson and championed by Canadian troops.

When people talk about "supporting our troops" it's rarely clarified what support they're talking about, amd most often people are referring to total support.

Anything, when done blindly, is never good. You can have blind support just as you can have blind faith. Supporting something unquestioningly is dangerous.

For being involved in Afghanistan, where the legitimate front is in the effort to combat terrorism, and our soldiers deserve our full operational and principle support for that. (The politicians also need to find the cojones to push into Pakistan, to bring the whole mission to a close quicker.) We owe it to them, for the sacrifice they're making, to do everything we can to make sure they come home quickly and safely. Moral support for our troops is always a personal judgement call, and and it's the only one that is earned by the merit of the conduct of the troops, and I feel that in the case of Afghanistan, our soldiers deserve a great deal of moral support.

For what it's worth, I'm no fan of Jean Chretien, but for making the decision not to commit troops to Iraq, I give him a rare "two thumbs up". That was absolutely the right decision, and he made it for the right reasons.

There are a few quotes about patriotism and nationalism that I do like...

It is not easy to see how the more extreme forms of nationalism can long survive when men have seen the Earth in its true perspective as a single small globe against the stars. ~Arthur C. Clarke

Nationalism is a silly cock crowing on his own dunghill. ~Richard Aldington

I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him. ~Abraham Lincoln

I believe it was Ben Franklin who said something along the lines of "Patriotism is never blind and unquestioning. Indeed the most patriotic thing one can do is to think critically about any venture undertaken 'for the good of the country'". I'm probably wrong on the quote credit, but the concept is one of my faves...

And perhaps the most revealing one of all:

"Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

- Hermann Goering

Old Dog
2009-03-27, 19:43
I'm grateful to the all the soldiers. Those who paid the ultimate price and those who fortunately did not.

I'm also really grateful to all the good folks of Ontario who take the time to honour our fallen soldiers on the Highway of Heroes. Thanks Ontario.

chappy
2009-03-27, 19:46
Cheers two four.

There are some great tributes out there. I have recently lost two people I know in Afghanistan. While it is not uncommon having grown up in a town with a large military base, there have been over a hundred Cdn deaths in Afghanistan and one becomes almost desensitized to it.

It is really starting to hit home when it's your friends and loved ones of friends with 6 month old children coming back in boxes.

Not to mention this BS satire bit from Fox news.

They really do deserve more than 1 day, at the very least they deserve our respect.

Sasky Boy
2009-03-28, 21:05
I don't go along with the "love it or get out" philosophy, but you have to admit that Canadians supporting their troops' efforts in Afghanistan is a world away from the American "Ye'r with us or ye'r agin' us" attitude toward Iraq, that really is nationalism moreso than patriotism.

"Support" for the troops is a blended term. ...

Anything, when done blindly, is never good. You can have blind support just as you can have blind faith. Supporting something unquestioningly is dangerous.

For being involved in Afghanistan, where the legitimate front is in the effort to combat terrorism, and our soldiers deserve our full operational and principle support for that. (The politicians also need to find the cojones to push into Pakistan, to bring the whole mission to a close quicker.)

For what it's worth, I'm no fan of Jean Chretien, but for making the decision not to commit troops to Iraq, I give him a rare "two thumbs up". That was absolutely the right decision, and he made it for the right reasons.

And perhaps the most revealing one of all:

"Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

- Hermann Goering

All of these comments are entirely agreeable. It frustrates me that the two conflicts are sometimes put in the same basket. Iraq is a crusade driven by ignorance, arrogance, religious fervor, and racism (Bush does hate black people -- especially his mom!).

I give Jean credit for not being duped in to Iraq, though maintaining moral credibility for dedicating our nation to Afghanistan. I think the current NDP and Liberal stances against the Afghan war is pure politics + opportunism of the worst kind. Pitiful!

Again, let me be clear. I like the post, and I support the troops that serve with distinction. I do NOT support them all just because I like their uniforms.

;)

alavalfan
2009-03-29, 07:29
Does this fit in more or less than the other video in this forum?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luDi0U8HY0w

Bruiser
2009-03-29, 08:16
(Bush does hate black people -- especially his mom!).

Well, I guess this is the place where you can express your opinions.

But this statement is just moronic and really serves no purpose. Kind of along the lines of your example,
"I am a proud and good citizen, you aren't"

Trolling maybe?

cjstora
2009-03-29, 08:35
Does this fit in more or less than the other video in this forum?

So your complaint about the content then is that this is in the wrong forum?

Not the first time that's happened. Easily remedied. Happy now? Probably not.

alavalfan
2009-03-29, 14:45
Happy now? Probably not.C.J., what's with the "Probably not" thing? It does'nt sound right ... I think!

cjstora
2009-03-29, 20:27
I highly doubt your repeated objections in this thread are simply due to which forum it was placed in.

alavalfan
2009-03-30, 03:54
I highly doubt your repeated objections in this thread are simply due to which forum it was placed in.which of my "two" posts lead you to believe otherwise and why?

la Tuque
2009-03-30, 11:32
I was returning from Montreal not too long ago when people were starting to crowd bridges for the return of yet another soldier. Quite touching.

This video really stands out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1R8qLAmkLU&feature=related

Sasky Boy
2009-04-01, 19:20
Well, I guess this is the place where you can express your opinions.

But this statement is just moronic and really serves no purpose. Kind of along the lines of your example,

Trolling maybe?

I did not write the trolling statement did I? I do not recall that and I think you are misrepresenting me. Perhaps I forgot, but I don't think that was me Bruiser.

For my statement, everyone knows the history of Katrina and the effects of the Every Child Left Behind policy. We can let the facts speak for themselves and people can interpret it all as they like.

As for Barbara Bush, she felt that Katrina was working well for blacks and that the conditions in the dome were an upgrade for many. :eek::eek::eek:

Again, people were raped and murdered there! "Better off!!!" By the way, I want to mention that I think the First Bush (HW) has been a great statesman. He is the only Bush that won't get to dine with the wife and kids in hell.

And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/07/national/nationalspecial/07barbara.html
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001054719